Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:55:43 am

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: what's your poison (and by poison i mean delicious alcohol)  (Read 109193 times)

Vinny Possum

• Garfield's cosmic love katana.
  • Paid
Really enjoying shark chum, hope Gordon Biersch keeps it up.

Macho Masc Sangy Savage

• Beep Beep Imma Dwarf Jeep
  • Paid
  • 🍕 Pizza Philosopher 🍕
More trash drinks, this time Ty Ku citrus sake on the rocks. It's so garbage but I can't stop drinking it.

lazzer grardaion?

• Paid
i have recently discovered the joy of growler fill stations. so in the course of my daily regular grocery shopping I can go and get a 6pack worth of beer filled for considerably less money and have it be considerably more fresh.

yes please!
jack chick, November 02, 2016, 10:20:04 am

These are alos a great way to experience the many flavors and joys of local microbreweries.

I'm drinking some actual scottish scotch. It doesn't say how long it was aged, so it probably wasn't particularly long. Still okay, though. I can drink it on the rocks and go 'I am drinking an acceptable scotch'.

Also, I realize now as I'm typing this post that I bought scotch whiskey and not bourbon. I got four hours of sleep last night.

YOu know I don't think I've ever had scotch straight before this. Sort of a halfway point between whisky and bourbon. Not bad, very drinkable.

Emperor Jack Chick

• he/him
  • Ridiculist
  • Metal tyrant from hell
hot buttered rum is an enjoyable wintery cocktail
Corn Syrup

Macho Masc Sangy Savage

• Beep Beep Imma Dwarf Jeep
  • Paid
  • 🍕 Pizza Philosopher 🍕
jack chick, November 23, 2016, 11:36:27 am

Now I know how I'm going to get through family holidays. Any suggestions on what brand of rum?

Emperor Jack Chick

• he/him
  • Ridiculist
  • Metal tyrant from hell
jack chick, November 23, 2016, 11:36:27 am

Now I know how I'm going to get through family holidays. Any suggestions on what brand of rum?
Sanguinary Novel, November 23, 2016, 12:18:28 pm

I'm using Myers.

Yavuz

• Fave: Heavily Excessive Prekumquatxop
  • Paid
  • whats up you cem loving fuck
Speaking of rum, I just picked up a bottle of Kraken on sale, so I'm taking my previous bottle of rum to Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow, in the hopes that other people will help me finish it off.
Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop

SuperTrainStationH

• Paid
I don't drink alcohol and sort of wanted to talk about it/ask about it a bit. I know this is bordering on "Hi I don't have this problem, bye. :)" territory but I'm thinking maybe it'll seem less attention-whorey to post this in an EXISTING thread concerning alcohol than making a new one just to talk about myself in.

But basically I never had any interest in consuming alcohol, the smell and aroma of it never appealed to me, the dangerous/stupid stuff my friends bragged about doing while/after consuming it concerned me, and when asked about it I'd joke that my first drink had to be on board an English steam train (I'm a NYer) which got me a lot of "respect" from people who would otherwise have given me grief for not drinking.

When I was 26 I went to my friend's wedding which was basically my first major social event since turning 21.

During the reception the groom's sister reprimanded me in front of everyone for being inappropriate for toasting with the soft drink I got from the open bar instead of the wine that was at all the tables, and when I got back home my dad lectured me several times over when I accidentally mentioned that I ordered a shirley temple at the open bar and my dad said it was a kids drink and I'm too old for that and that if he was a girl and he was interested in me he'd lose interest in me as a potential boyfriend if he saw me ordering a shirley temple at my age, but honestly I'll be shocked if I ever at any point in my life end up having a girlfriend under any circumstances anyway.

When I was 27 I actually got to have a ride on an English steam train and try a beer and I didn't like it at all. When i got home I tried again and it honestly didn't do anything for me whatsoever but put a literal bad taste in my mouth and make my stomach feel bad, and I haven't tried again since nor have I wanted to.

I'm almost 29 now and when I mention I like root beer, they always assume I mean the alcoholic root beer that's becoming popular now, like theres no reason I would want a "kids" root beer, and when I tell people who don't know me I don't drink alcohol they either think I'm some kind of manchild who refuses to grow up or that I'm a recovering alcoholic.

I don't even dislike alcohol or people who enjoy it, I've even had a long running fascination with sommeliers and wine making, I just sort of have this weird problem where I feel sort of intrinsically defective in almost every aspect of what the world around me seems to expect of me as an adult, and I really don't know how I'm supposed to function outside of my extremely small circle of eccentric and/or literally autistic friends who don't make a big deal of the fact that I don't drink alcohol.

Frank West

• Have you ever astraled and kicked it with satan
  • Ridiculist
  • Marky Mk 2
I don't drink alcohol and sort of wanted to talk about it/ask about it a bit. I know this is bordering on "Hi I don't have this problem, bye. :)" territory but I'm thinking maybe it'll seem less attention-whorey to post this in an EXISTING thread concerning alcohol than making a new one just to talk about myself in.

But basically I never had any interest in consuming alcohol, the smell and aroma of it never appealed to me, the dangerous/stupid stuff my friends bragged about doing while/after consuming it concerned me, and when asked about it I'd joke that my first drink had to be on board an English steam train (I'm a NYer) which got me a lot of "respect" from people who would otherwise have given me grief for not drinking.

When I was 26 I went to my friend's wedding which was basically my first major social event since turning 21.

During the reception the groom's sister reprimanded me in front of everyone for being inappropriate for toasting with the soft drink I got from the open bar instead of the wine that was at all the tables, and when I got back home my dad lectured me several times over when I accidentally mentioned that I ordered a shirley temple at the open bar and my dad said it was a kids drink and I'm too old for that and that if he was a girl and he was interested in me he'd lose interest in me as a potential boyfriend if he saw me ordering a shirley temple at my age, but honestly I'll be shocked if I ever at any point in my life end up having a girlfriend under any circumstances anyway.

When I was 27 I actually got to have a ride on an English steam train and try a beer and I didn't like it at all. When i got home I tried again and it honestly didn't do anything for me whatsoever but put a literal bad taste in my mouth and make my stomach feel bad, and I haven't tried again since nor have I wanted to.

I'm almost 29 now and when I mention I like root beer, they always assume I mean the alcoholic root beer that's becoming popular now, like theres no reason I would want a "kids" root beer, and when I tell people who don't know me I don't drink alcohol they either think I'm some kind of manchild who refuses to grow up or that I'm a recovering alcoholic.

I don't even dislike alcohol or people who enjoy it, I've even had a long running fascination with sommeliers and wine making, I just sort of have this weird problem where I feel sort of intrinsically defective in almost every aspect of what the world around me seems to expect of me as an adult, and I really don't know how I'm supposed to function outside of my extremely small circle of eccentric and/or literally autistic friends who don't make a big deal of the fact that I don't drink alcohol.
SuperTrainStationH, December 20, 2016, 09:42:20 am

Hello, as a non-drinker who is also a weird person socially I am very familiar with these issues!

First, drinking is a thing that most people do, so if you don't do it there will be occasional moments of awkwardness no matter what you do, because someone is going to assume you do. That's okay, and it's important to remember that bit of awkwardness isn't the fault of either party, and also not a big deal, because it's just caused by somebody not knowing information. Once they know you aren't drinking right then, it shouldn't be an issue.

Obviously, sometimes it IS an issue, like in the examples you listed. Someone will not understand why you wouldn't want to drink, or will take offense at a social norm being ignored. The most important thing in those situations is to turn down the alcohol being offered confidently but quickly. Make it very mundane and most people won't give a shit, after all, even people who drink don't do so every time they go out. Most of the time that I would find myself in the awkward situation of explaining why I don't drink was when I'd decline nervously, or feel the need to actually say "oh, I don't drink" rather than just declining. Most people will just assume you aren't drinking right then, as opposed to ever, which is a totally normal thing, and nobody has any reason to learn "oh, actually I never drink, and *longer, potentially awkward explanation*" until they get to know you well enough that it won't be awkward to explain it.

You'll still find yourself in situations with people who know you a bit better who want you to drink, like the ones you mentioned. They can politely fuck themselves, you don't owe anyone anything. It's super-rude of the groom's sister to fucking police what you're drinking, way ruder than any possible insult you could have given by not toasting with the right drink. And if a girl would lose interest in you because you ordered the wrong drink, then probably that wouldn't have worked out anyway.

The only thing I'd really say is that people who don't drink because they've never tried it and are sheltered or scared of it should at least consider giving it a shot before writing it off, but since you've done that already and found you didn't like it, you're 100% justified and fuck the haters.
Corn Syrup SuperTrainStationH Lemon

Shigan

• Cum golem with long hair on men
  • Paid
SuperTrainStationH, December 20, 2016, 09:42:20 am

Alcohol is an acquired taste, and like with a great many other things, you're going to have to try it a lot before you'll finally begin to like it. Most people get over this acquisition period pretty quick because they just want to get drunk. [freakout] Not that I'm telling you to keep drinking if you don't have any interest in doing so.
chai tea latte SuperTrainStationH

SuperTrainStationH

• Paid
Thanks guys I feel a lot better now.

Well its not that I felt "bad" I just wanted to talk to people who weren't already biased in favor of supporting me because they already know/like me.

cashmir sweaters

• Paid
I either drink expensive micro/craft brewed beers or the cheapest boxed wine or bottom shelf whiskey. Debating whether or not to follow my great-great grandfather's footsteps & learn how to distill moonshine. Dude was a marine coppersmith during the Prohibition & family lore has it he made more than a few stills.

Edit: also dude above me, on fancy occasions like weddings, holidays, formal dinners etc try asking for sparkling cider. It's usually served in a wine glass and socially takes the place of wine (at least in my neck of the woods). This will make it handy for toasts etc since it's usually treated similar to wine despite not being alcoholic. Soda may be seen as 'cheap' which might be why your dad didn't like it for a toast. You should never be forced to drink alcohol if you don't want to. Anyone who says 'no you HAVE to have wine/beer/liquor/etc' is a dunce. There's all sorts of reasons not to drink ranging from driving to medicines to past alcoholism to just not liking the stuff and it's all legit, and no one should make you uncomfortable about not drinking. I'm sorry but I think your dad is a bit of a jerk for teasing you about your choice of drinks. Who cares if you get a Bloody Mary or Shirley Temple, or some fruity mocktail, if it tastes good and you like it that's all that matters
Yavuz Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop SuperTrainStationH
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 02:02:02 am by cashmir sweaters »

Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop

• Trill Lesh
  • Paid
  • 12 cellphones and I look like kurt angle
I either drink expensive micro/craft brewed beers or the cheapest boxed wine or bottom shelf whiskey. Debating whether or not to follow my great-great grandfather's footsteps & learn how to distill moonshine. Dude was a marine coppersmith during the Prohibition & family lore has it he made more than a few stills.

Edit: also dude above me, on fancy occasions like weddings, holidays, formal dinners etc try asking for sparkling cider. It's usually served in a wine glass and socially takes the place of wine (at least in my neck of the woods). This will make it handy for toasts etc since it's usually treated similar to wine despite not being alcoholic. Soda may be seen as 'cheap' which might be why your dad didn't like it for a toast. You should never be forced to drink alcohol if you don't want to. Anyone who says 'no you HAVE to have wine/beer/liquor/etc' is a dunce. There's all sorts of reasons not to drink ranging from driving to medicines to past alcoholism to just not liking the stuff and it's all legit, and no one should make you uncomfortable about not drinking. I'm sorry but I think your dad is a bit of a jerk for teasing you about your choice of drinks. Who cares if you get a Bloody Mary or Shirley Temple, or some fruity mocktail, if it tastes good and you like it that's all that matters
cashmir sweaters, December 21, 2016, 01:37:11 am

Yeah, a sparkling cider like a martinelli's or something is basically the official "fancy" drink at times like Christmas/Thanksgiving if you're a non drinker, at least in my family/where I live.

Stuff tastes really good too if that's a bonus, so much so that I still make sure to always snag a glass during special occasions
SuperTrainStationH

chai tea latte

• TheftBot is, simply put, a fully sentient robot for stealing automatic teller machines
  • Paid
  • (ATMs) from nearby convenience stores.
The Benedictine and Brandy is a delicious holiday cocktail. Heavily recommended if you like them medicinal and warming.

Yavuz

• Fave: Heavily Excessive Prekumquatxop
  • Paid
  • whats up you cem loving fuck
I went to a Turkish restaurant tonight, and had rakı, the signature liquor of Turkey. It was quite good, even though it was a little strong. It's got a bit of a licorice taste, but I liked the finish.