Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:05:42 pm

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Catch all metal thread  (Read 31854 times)

Acierocolotl

• Romance Supremacist
  • Ridiculist
  • You will be romanticized
Catch all metal thread #15
folk metal???
fruit power, February 11, 2013, 02:32:45 pm

Youtube for "Korpiklaani".  I would have called it Finnish drinky-metal but I'm F+'s resident expert at mangled English, not metal.  Pretty much any song will do, but I have a fondness for "Vodka" due to the singer's enthusiastic near-miss at English.  It's something like a lazer!

🍆

• Spongy Wood Witch
  • Paid
  • Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge cunt
Catch all metal thread #16
Goblin Cockjack-chick, February 11, 2013, 12:50:10 pm
Promising already.

Ooh, what.cd says they're similar to Kyuss AND Spinal Tap. Bueno.

Geremy Tibbles

• Liquor Dragon
  • Paid
  • DIS GENERATION
Catch all metal thread #17
I'm seeing Meshuggah next week in Boston.

Something. It's been forever since I've been to a metal concert, can't wait to get pushed into a fat guy.

fruit power

• Paid
Catch all metal thread #18
folk metal???
fruit power, February 11, 2013, 02:32:45 pm

Youtube for "Korpiklaani".  I would have called it Finnish drinky-metal but I'm F+'s resident expert at mangled English, not metal.  Pretty much any song will do, but I have a fondness for "Vodka" due to the singer's enthusiastic near-miss at English.  It's something like a lazer!
Acierocolotl, February 11, 2013, 03:05:20 pm

You will feel awesome!

Just listened to all their alcohol related songs that I could find on Youtube. Disappointed there's not one called Gin.

Acierocolotl

• Romance Supremacist
  • Ridiculist
  • You will be romanticized
Catch all metal thread #19
Acier - You like thrash and folk metal. I would recommend bands like tyr, turisas, eluveitie, gama bomb, kreator. Do you like DRI? If you do, you should probably listen to toxic holocaust immediately if not sooner.
jack-chick, February 11, 2013, 12:50:10 pm

Definitely, definitely on the thrash metal side of things, upon locating things off your list.  DRI just took me right back, that's for sure.

A small selection bands I've seen live, just to add to your catalogue:

Anonymus - trilingual Quebecois thrash metal, probably the most violent moshpit I've ever been in. 
Tagada Jones - second-most violent moshpit, with giant-ass corn-fed motherfuckers with sharp-spiked shoulders on their jackets trying to shouldercheck anybody in the pit.  Correspondingly, swiftly the deadest pit I've ever been in and more's the pity.
BARF - While not always to my liking, a group willing to make a heavy metal dirge with Frenglish lyrics about a little fish caught in a mudpuddle amuses.
Lofofora: Probably progrock?  They do cover a lot of different styles, though I'd probably suggest just finding the different versions of "Les Gens" (versus "Les Gens de Maintenant") they do to get a taste.  Also the singer is unnervingly weird on stage.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 09:34:30 pm by Acierocolotl »

Emperor Jack Chick

• he/him
  • Ridiculist
  • Metal tyrant from hell
Catch all metal thread #20
I'm seeing Meshuggah next week in Boston.

Something. It's been forever since I've been to a metal concert, can't wait to get pushed into a fat guy.
Geremy Tibbles, February 11, 2013, 09:06:16 pm

the one time I saw meshuggah it was super mellow. Just people headbanging and blissing out. Let me know how it goes! That's a great band! :D

Emperor Jack Chick

• he/him
  • Ridiculist
  • Metal tyrant from hell
Catch all metal thread #21
Goblin Cockjack-chick, February 11, 2013, 12:50:10 pm
Promising already.

Ooh, what.cd says they're similar to Kyuss AND Spinal Tap. Bueno.
Dacey Mormont, February 11, 2013, 08:55:52 pm

It's a side project of the guys in Sunn O))))))))))))). You might want to check out acid witch, although they're probably too riffy for you. Really I just want to plug them bc they're awesome. Also if you don't know Cynic, that may be good for you.

Bunnybread

• You're welcome, genitals of the world.
  • Ridiculist
Catch all metal thread #22
Jack Chick, you gotta help me.  I'm normally not a metal guy, obviously, but I do like an axe that is wielded by a pro.  Now, is there any more stuff that features guitar shreddings like this?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=xBM1LCZKkQg&feature=fvwp  I mean, I hope that there are some other guys that are in this echelon because I desperately need to hear more of this shit.

Emperor Jack Chick

• he/him
  • Ridiculist
  • Metal tyrant from hell
Catch all metal thread #23
Jack Chick, you gotta help me.  I'm normally not a metal guy, obviously, but I do like an axe that is wielded by a pro.  Now, is there any more stuff that features guitar shreddings like this?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=xBM1LCZKkQg&feature=fvwp  I mean, I hope that there are some other guys that are in this echelon because I desperately need to hear more of this shit.
bunnybread, February 12, 2013, 12:14:12 am

Hey Bunnybread, I think this is a bit problematic. See, you're starting with something that's just a liiiiiiittle too progressive, which will decrease your listening enjoyment.

I feel you should start with something a little easier, like this here

I'll also post this for you:

Hope this helps!

montrith

• Petrodactyl Spotter
  • Internaut
  • You must be this tall to ride
Catch all metal thread #24
Anyone who likes Korpiklaani might want to check out Amorphis or Finntroll. The first is perhaps a bit more mainstream, but Finntroll has just the right amount of ridiculous in it.

I've also been listening a bit of Kivimetsän Druidi, who apparently filmed their music video in Skyrim.

Also including this because I love this song.

EDIT: Oh look. Something for bunnybread too.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 11:14:26 am by montrith »

Isfahan

• Ask me about AKs.
  • Ridiculist
  • Trouble with customers? Isfahano cares.
Catch all metal thread #25
Haha, as soon as the first Finnish band showed up I wondered if Montrith would uphold the stereotype and recommend some metal from her homeland. I now like to imagine that Finnish babies are born with a metal playlist tattooed on their arm, written in runes.

It's kind of like how American babies are born eating a hamburger and hating taxes.

Emperor Jack Chick

• he/him
  • Ridiculist
  • Metal tyrant from hell
Catch all metal thread #26
Haha, as soon as the first Finnish band showed up I wondered if Montrith would uphold the stereotype and recommend some metal from her homeland. I now like to imagine that Finnish babies are born with a metal playlist tattooed on their arm, written in runes.

It's kind of like how American babies are born eating a hamburger and hating taxes.
Isfahan, February 12, 2013, 02:34:43 pm

Really I think you need to be listening to Hevisaurus, which will explain everything you need to know about Finland and metal.

I figured everyone here knows about Finntroll, since I spaz out about them quite a bit (them being one of my favorite bands).  But yeah you should pick up all of their albums! :D

Also Montrith, no love for Ensiferum?

-Jack

montrith

• Petrodactyl Spotter
  • Internaut
  • You must be this tall to ride
Catch all metal thread #27
Oh, very funny you two. Listen, we Finns are like the dwarfs of Europe. We may not be the prettiest or the wittiest people around, but by Ukko we know our metal! If you're a Finn you will like metal, or you will have a lousy time. After all, this guy got a street named after him, and he's not even that heavy.

And this guy was voted the most popular fictional character.

Ensiferum is okay, but not in my top 10. For those who are not so into heavy, you might want to check out Poets of the Fall. If you've ever played Max Payne, you already know what I'm talking about.

There, was that enough Finnish nationalism for you?

fruit power

• Paid
Catch all metal thread #28
Have the Moomins been used in metal? Please say yes.

Isfahan

• Ask me about AKs.
  • Ridiculist
  • Trouble with customers? Isfahano cares.
Catch all metal thread #29
There, was that enough Finnish nationalism for you?montrith, February 12, 2013, 04:44:54 pm

Conan O'Brien would be proud.