Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:37:01 pm

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: What's up with your username?  (Read 127573 times)

Ansemaru

• we put our faith in
  • Paid
  • blast hardcheese
What's up with your username?
Every username's got a story behind it. This is a thread for explaining how you ended up with the handle you go by.

This came up in my intro thread, but I'll tell it again and expand on it to get the ball rolling. Back when I was about 11 or so, I wanted to give a character I was drawing a cool name that sounded vaguely fantasy-Japanese without specifically being Japanese, because I was a baby weeaboo. I had the general idea of how syllables fit together for the language, and a general idea that 'maru' was an archaic name-ending that also sounded pretty badass, so I cobbled together "Ansemaru" without any particular regard for what it even could mean.

It could have ended there, but a couple years later I found myself in need of a username for a Deviantart account, and really wanted something that didn't have any numbers or underscores in it so I could sound vaguely unique and respectable. Lo and behold, I had a cool-sounding but nonsense name all lined up! Ever since then, it's sort of been my go-to username on websites, due to the fact that it's never taken and sounds cool.

As a side-note, the character I named that? The character in my icon. Some things never change, I guess.

icarus

• orko in training
  • Paid
  • a very special episode
What's up with your username? #1
- i wanted something ungoogleable
- i was in a captain n phase

Isfahan

• Ask me about AKs.
  • Ridiculist
  • Trouble with customers? Isfahano cares.
What's up with your username? #2
Yeah, I wanted a name which would sound to the uninformed like I probably thought it up myself, but then when they go to Google it they just find a ton of shit about a city they didn't know existed.

Goose Goose Honk At Me Now

• Can I offer you a Lorna Doone?
  • Paid
  • You have a very flexible torso.
What's up with your username? #3
Some species of squids have elbows. This is clearly for hugging.

(My steam and Minecraft profiles are both Cuddlegoose because a few years ago I was desperately sick with a chest cold that left me incapable of producing any sound except a honk, and also because my down comforter ripped and I kept waking up out of fever dreams with feathers sticking to me.)

TheCrawlingChaos

• IWASWONDERINGIFTHEREWEREANYSTORIESWHEREJENSENISACATPERSONANDJAREDISADOGPERSONANDSOMEHOWTHISISACOMPLICATIONINTHEIRRELATIONSHIP?!?
  • Paid
  • Messenger of the Outer Gods
What's up with your username? #4
I'm just your common or garden variety Lovecraft nerd, as the Deep One plushie, the multiple Lovecraft anthologies and the painting on my wall  of my room titled "Innsmouth Family Portrait" can attest. Being white, I spend a lot of time justifying this to myself and to others, but not as much as I did during the heyday of Internet Social Justice when I took everything I read at face value. Also, despite having completed 1.5 English Literature degrees I still haven't managed to write a paper on anything Lovecraftian, though I will be doing my thesis on Robert Chambers of The King in Yellow fame, who despite proceeding Lovecraft by a number of years and having fuck-all to do with his social circle is obviously very affiliated with the Mythos by now.

Boots Raingear

• BBQ Man-Pop
  • Administrator
  • CEO of Victor's basement
What's up with your username? #5
I like telling this story.

When I was 17 I got my own phone line so I could internet without bothering my family. I called my friends to let them know what my new number was, and life was great. Several weeks later, I visited one of my friends and saw their dry erase board still had my phone number on it but my name had been erased. Next to it were the remaining two items on his mother's shopping list. It looked like this:

Boots
Raingear      377-8642

Said friend is now an illustrator. I don't talk with him very often but I met up with him at a book signing in my town a few years ago and mentioned that I was using the Boots Raingear name online. The name apparently stuck with him too since he has a character named Boots Raingear that he likes to draw.

Lemon Sherman Tank Moose Hux SHAMBA~1.SBB Salubrious Rex

Geremy Tibbles

• Liquor Dragon
  • Paid
  • DIS GENERATION
What's up with your username? #6
I needed a name for a Cyberpunk 2020 character.

Last name is based off an Austrian guy's (Tibbits), and first name I just spelled with a G.

count_actuala

• Real VamPire
  • Paid
  • Do you tend to get a high from human blood?
What's up with your username? #7
I wanted to be UnlimitedJuice on Twitter as an Arrested Development reference, but that was taken by a ginger nut with a fivehead. Now I'm waiting for the owners of a small juice company in West Virginia to come calling about acquiring my account name.

Ansemaru

• we put our faith in
  • Paid
  • blast hardcheese
What's up with your username? #8
Well I shortened my username to just Al, but originally Allechenko was just an amalgamation of my name, Allen, and —chenko, a common name ending for Ukrainian surnames. Seems terribly careless I know, but I don't have a social media footprint and Allen is not yet my legal name so I'm not worried. I just like having the opportunity to use my first name since I can't do so around most people who know me just yet.
Al, April 09, 2013, 11:50:01 am

...wait, you're named Allen, it's not yet your legal name, and you're Ukranian?

Are you my clone?

Yossarian

• Sophisticated Sophistry
  • Paid
  • No one tell Hitler!
What's up with your username? #9
I just really love Catch 22, and a few of the quotes rang with how I was feeling when I made my exodus from the chat room of evil.

"That crazy bastard."
"He's not so crazy," Dunbar said. "He swears he's not going to fly to Bologna."
"That's just what I mean," Dr. Stubbs answered. "That crazy bastard may be the only sane one left."

As far back as Yossarian could recall, he explained to Clevinger with a patient smile, somebody was always hatching a plot to kill him. There were people who cared for him and people who didn't, and those who didn't hated him and were out to get him. They hated him because he was Assyrian. But they couldn't touch him, he told Clevinger, because he was Tarzan, Mandrake, Flash Gordon. He was Bill Shakespeare. He was Cain, Ulysses, the Flying Dutchman; he was Lot in Sodom, Deirdre of the Sorrows, Sweeney in the nightingales among trees. He was miracle ingredient Z-247. He was –
"Crazy!" Clevinger interrupted, shrieking. "That's what you are! Crazy!"

I also used Clevinger briefly but that's not nearly as fun to have people mangle or scream in rage over voice chat when I play The Hidden

As always occurred when he quarreled over principles in which he believed passionately, he would end up gasping furiously for air and blinking back bitter tears of conviction. There were many principles in which Clevinger believed passionately. He was crazy.

Mainly because a lot of people in that group though I was crazy for not wanting to do all the stereotypical furry junk, so I decided that I must be crazy and my username should reflect it. Needless to say no one in that group caught the reference.

Runic

• Is Putting A Donk On It
  • Paid
  • John Brown did nothing wrong
What's up with your username? #10
I needed a username and I thought it sounded neat.  That's all there is to it, really.

Chaz

• is tuning the tiny timpanis
  • Paid
  • I'm being doppelgangstalked
What's up with your username? #11
I'm just Chaz because that's an acceptable short form of my actual name. GELF is something of a nod to Red Dwarf, GELF stands for Genetically Engineered Life Form, and the fuzzy green character in my avatar over there is a genetically engineered lifeform from a comic I draw.

So there you have it, Chaz GELF. :v

montrith

• Petrodactyl Spotter
  • Internaut
  • You must be this tall to ride
What's up with your username? #12
I was reading a stupid fantasy novel and tried to pick a name from it, but got two different terms mixed and came up with Montrith. At least it's usually free when I want to use it.

Ansemaru

• we put our faith in
  • Paid
  • blast hardcheese
What's up with your username? #13

Yes to all of the above. (And a guy dealing with the whole trans thing, to boot.) Holy crap what, don't tell me you're all of those other things too because that would be freaky. (Are you also an immigrant to the East Coast?)
Al, April 09, 2013, 12:30:35 pm

I'm an east coaster, not an immigrant though- to be fair, the actual Ukranian-living-in-Ukraine parts of my family came over two generations back.

🍆

• Spongy Wood Witch
  • Paid
  • Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge cunt
What's up with your username? #14
I tend to use different usernames wherever I go, so this one is F+/Ball Pit only. I was scrounging around for a name to add to my doc submission, and decided to use a minor ASOIAF character. I realized too late that people who watch Game of Thrones and Google my username might come across spoilers for future events, but, hey, their bad!