Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:42:41 pm

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Moving the RSS Feed  (Read 6953 times)

Lemon

• Whatever happened to Freedom of Speech?
  • Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
Moving the RSS Feed
Okay I'll admit, in the past, every time I've tweaked the podcast RSS feed, I've created problems. This time though, it'll go perfectly. No issues at all. For anyone! EVER!

Briefly since the beginning, we've been using Feedburner to host and maintain the podcast RSS feed. That was a mistake.

Like so many other Google apps, Feedburner is one of those abandoned landscapes. It doesn't provide much of a service at all anymore, hasn't been updated in any way since 2016 (and hasn't been updated meaningfully since 2012), and has a lot of broken parts. It's Feedburner's own file size limit that forced me to put "For episode details, go here" to older episodes because Feedburner wouldn't allow files larger than 2M.

SO, just now in iTunes Apple Podcasts, I've changed the canonical URL for the F Plus RSS feed to https://thefpl.us/episode/feed, which I control. I can change around what happens with this page and don't need to consult a broken Google app to make it work.

What I'm hoping here is that the switch in Apple Podcasts will go off without any problems. If that seems to go well, then I'll delete Feedburner completely and make that URL redirect to the new URL.

So, if you get anything weird in your podcast feed over the next day or two, let me know. If not, hooray.

(also if you look at that URL in Firefox and see the escaped characters, I know. That's a Firefox bug and I filed a report with Mozilla about it)
Mr. Hunky Academia

Ambious

Moving the RSS Feed #1
I guess this means the Google Podcasts app is gonna stop updating the podcast?

Lemon

• Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
Moving the RSS Feed #2
Ambious, February 06, 2019, 10:13:42 am

It definitely shouldn't! Today I updated the feed URL in Google Play Music. I'm assuming Google Podcasts reads from the same place.

Ambious

Moving the RSS Feed #3
Ambious, February 06, 2019, 10:13:42 am

It definitely shouldn't! Today I updated the feed URL in Google Play Music. I'm assuming Google Podcasts reads from the same place.
Lemon, February 06, 2019, 04:01:21 pm

I wouldn't put it past google to actually not link those, but I'll keep you updated.
Thanks!

Lemon

• Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
Moving the RSS Feed #4
Okay, all my testing worked out okay and I haven't had any error reports, so I deactivated the Feedburner URL and did a permanent redirect to https://thefpl.us/episode/feed - That is now the correct URL that every podcatcher should be using.

This means every episode gets its own summary.

Sherman Tank

• Licensed Kadir-Buxton Method Practitioner
  • Associate Tag Director, East
  • I'm over 30 years old and I like fried chicken.
Moving the RSS Feed #5
It worked for me. My iPod is showing all the summaries that it used to before the Google RSS thing shit itself.
Lemon

Lemon

• Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
Moving the RSS Feed #6
Hahahaha turns out I found a Firefox bug from 18 years ago!!!
RoeCocoa

Ambious

Moving the RSS Feed #7
Lemon, March 05, 2019, 02:54:00 pm

Further proof that any importance lower than "critical" will never ever get fixed in any project ever.
lazzer grardaion? Macho Masc Sangy Savage

lazzer grardaion?

• Paid
Moving the RSS Feed #8
Lemon, March 05, 2019, 02:54:00 pm

Further proof that any importance lower than "critical" will never ever get fixed in any project ever.
Ambious, March 05, 2019, 03:06:31 pm
Suggestion: we need a sad version of the bulb.

Lemon

• Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
Moving the RSS Feed #9
I hammered out an update for this page this afternoon.

Breifly: There's a language called XSL (eXtensible Stylesheet Language), which you can use to (optionally) pretty up an RSS, in case a browser visits it (instead of a feed reader, which would ignore styles).

I put together what I thought was a pretty good layout, the only problem was that Firefox (and only Firefox would fail to parse the HTML in the episode descriptions, and just plunk those raw on screen.

I reached out to some people from Mozilla about it, and (as mentioned earlier in this thread) they found the bug report from like two decades ago, all pretty much agreeing that XSL isn't a thing that people use and this wouldn't be a priority.

Soooo, figured out another solution, which was to do feature detection for Firefox, and then use jQuery to rewrite that page content. You get a brief blink of raw HTML while the page loads but then after that you're all good. Which is good enough for me.

Also added some lazy loading for the images so this page loads smoother.

All-in-all, it's improved.

https://github.com/AhoyLemon/TheFPlus/issues/44 closed.
Great Joe Ambious