Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:02:18 am

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: I saw my first Google Glass wearer in person yesterday.  (Read 15230 times)

Lemon

• Whatever happened to Freedom of Speech?
  • Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
He looked as big of a dumbshit as I'd expect.

Muffinator

• Paid
Punch him and break his Google Glass exactly down the middle, so he needs to fix them with very thick white tape.

Bonus points if you ride in on a skateboard.

Old_Zircon

• The phased-out byzantine devil.
  • Paid
I'm usually skeptical of portmanteaus, but I think "glasshole" is OK.
chai tea latte

One Of The Crappy Pokemon That Nobody Likes

• Oh no it's the "The-World-Owes-Me-A-Living Lads"!!
  • Ridiculist
  • RARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARR
Personally I'm still annoyed they didn't officially name the product "Googly Eyes". Way to miss an opportunity, people.
Ansemaru Baldr Zsa Zsa Jas.AFK

Old_Zircon

• The phased-out byzantine devil.
  • Paid
Personally I'm still annoyed they didn't officially name the product "Googly Eyes". Way to miss an opportunity, people.
portaxx, June 10, 2014, 01:44:01 pm

Probably feared a lawsuit from Barney Google.

nigeline

• Willy Dang Doodle
  • Paid
  • All you do is dump
Lemon, June 10, 2014, 09:11:18 am
Wait..... don't tell me they've infiltrated Minneapolis already. Like I need another reason to drink.

strifeheart

• a mixture of gravity and waggery
  • Paid
Lemon, June 10, 2014, 09:11:18 am
Wait..... don't tell me they've infiltrated Minneapolis already. Like I need another reason to drink.
nigeline, June 10, 2014, 06:28:40 pm
Over the last...four months or so, I've noticed more and more people at the hotel talking about taking Uber. This is clearly the next stage.

Lemon

• Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
In fairness, I was at a tech conference so I was playing with probabilities, but yes. I look across the room and there's some Glasshole staring at me through his eyepiece. I was kinda surprised by how immediately frustrating the sight is. Like, you see that person and you're just immediately overwhelmed with hate. The Louis CK thing about "I have to stop what I'm doing just so I can hate this guy for a second".

Over the last...four months or so, I've noticed more and more people at the hotel talking about taking Uber.
strifeheart, June 11, 2014, 01:16:24 am

Fuckin' poserus. Does Uber put pink moustaches on their cars? Does Uber describe it's financial model as "donation" based because people "donate" to their "friend with a car" therefore skirting the legality of unlicensed taxis? Lyft is where the growth market is.

nigeline

• Willy Dang Doodle
  • Paid
  • All you do is dump
In fairness, I was at a tech conference so I was playing with probabilities, but yes. I look across the room and there's some Glasshole staring at me through his eyepiece. I was kinda surprised by how immediately frustrating the sight is. Like, you see that person and you're just immediately overwhelmed with hate. The Louis CK thing about "I have to stop what I'm doing just so I can hate this guy for a second". Lemon, June 11, 2014, 09:49:19 am
Wait.... at Eyeo? Fuck.

Lemon

• Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
Wait.... at Eyeo?
nigeline, June 12, 2014, 02:56:05 am
Oh! No no no, no. No. No, not that. Just a tech meetup.

nigeline

• Willy Dang Doodle
  • Paid
  • All you do is dump
Wait.... at Eyeo?
nigeline, June 12, 2014, 02:56:05 am
Oh! No no no, no. No. No, not that. Just a tech meetup.
Lemon, June 12, 2014, 08:35:26 am
Oh, thank god. Those dudes are too awkward to be as successful as they are.

But I am still sorry you saw a Glass in "use" in person. I hope you showered afterwards.

Ike

• Paid
  • these colors keep me awake at night
When I was in Boulder back in December I went to a few bars that already had "Google Glass is banned on these premises" signs up in the window. I wasn't sure why it was banned, but I guess it allows you to secretly record people at work? I don't know anything about Glass except that it's fucking goofy looking.

Lemon

• Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
I wasn't sure why it was banned, but I guess it allows you to secretly record people at work? I don't know anything about Glass except that it's fucking goofy looking.
Ike, June 16, 2014, 12:21:39 am

In all honesty, I think this objection is pretty much a mislead. Yes, you can serrupticiously record something with Glass, but that's really a way to formalize your objection.

Is it morally wrong that you want to use your phone in such a way that you aren't physically holding the thing up to your face? No. But that Bluetooth headset thing you bought in 2009 makes you look like an absolute cunt, and nobody wants to talk to you when you have that fucking thing on.

Argue convenience all you like, but your face has an apparatus which links you to an artificial world, thereby removing you from the real world at least in some degree, and it's offensive to those around you. Your phone call doesn't need to be that omnipresent, and if it was coming out of a little black box, at least that gives a sense of perspective, as opposed to a conversation that's only happening in your head.

Glass is like the Bluetooth Headset but way moreso. Partly because it's making that alternate reality shit visual as well, making it so you can pull off every rude cellphone faux pas much easier, but also just because of the price of the thing.

People wearing Google Glass had put their name on a list in the hopes that they'd be chosen for the opportunity to spend two grand on a shiny piece of shit. Its like having a Fendi sticker on your nose.

Its everything douchey and irritating about technology in one perfect little package. Not the dystopian future world we may one day live in, but an acelleration of the "fucking seriously you need to check your fucking Facebook right now while we're having fucking dinner?" present that we live in. Glassholes think we'll all be wearing those things in the future. I know that if we were, we'd all be shittier people even more incapable of living in the actual moment, so the prospect scares and angers me.

Also they might be recording so that's why they're banned.
Runic nigeline Trill La Trill hautecouture

nigeline

• Willy Dang Doodle
  • Paid
  • All you do is dump
I wasn't sure why it was banned, but I guess it allows you to secretly record people at work? I don't know anything about Glass except that it's fucking goofy looking.
Ike, June 16, 2014, 12:21:39 am

In all honesty, I think this objection is pretty much a mislead. Yes, you can serrupticiously record something with Glass, but that's really a way to formalize your objection.

Is it morally wrong that you want to use your phone in such a way that you aren't physically holding the thing up to your face? No. But that Bluetooth headset thing you bought in 2009 makes you look like an absolute cunt, and nobody wants to talk to you when you have that fucking thing on.

Argue convenience all you like, but your face has an apparatus which links you to an artificial world, thereby removing you from the real world at least in some degree, and it's offensive to those around you. Your phone call doesn't need to be that omnipresent, and if it was coming out of a little black box, at least that gives a sense of perspective, as opposed to a conversation that's only happening in your head.

Glass is like the Bluetooth Headset but way moreso. Partly because it's making that alternate reality shit visual as well, making it so you can pull off every rude cellphone faux pas much easier, but also just because of the price of the thing.

People wearing Google Glass had put their name on a list in the hopes that they'd be chosen for the opportunity to spend two grand on a shiny piece of shit. Its like having a Fendi sticker on your nose.

Its everything douchey and irritating about technology in one perfect little package. Not the dystopian future world we may one day live in, but an acelleration of the "fucking seriously you need to check your fucking Facebook right now while we're having fucking dinner?" present that we live in. Glassholes think we'll all be wearing those things in the future. I know that if we were, we'd all be shittier people even more incapable of living in the actual moment, so the prospect scares and angers me.

Also they might be recording so that's why they're banned.
Lemon, June 18, 2014, 07:02:37 pm

Also, it's ugly as fuck, and I don't care. Just pull out your phone and use it like a normal person. Unless you're performing surgery or a quadraplegic, use your hands, fuckface.

Ike

• Paid
  • these colors keep me awake at night
I don't get the appeal of it. Again I haven't used it myself and I don't know much about it, but I'm pretty confused at why Google would think something like this would honestly take off in any significant way. Ostensibly this thing is supposed to be a high-end competitor for things like the iPhone, but given the cost I don't see how it could possibly follow a cell phone production model. It's already difficult for a lot of people to upgrade their iPhones and Galaxies or whatever when a new one comes out every 8 months or so, but even those don't range more than $700 (un-subsidized by contracts of course) and generally include at least relatively significant upgrades over their predecessor. What else can a pair of glasses offer? A bigger lens? Two lenses?