Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:20:44 am

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: TV we've been watching lately  (Read 145920 times)

Goose Goose Honk At Me Now

• Can I offer you a Lorna Doone?
  • Paid
  • You have a very flexible torso.
TV we've been watching lately #75
Yeah no, fuck Hannibal, after the latest episode I'm pretty done with this shit.

Locclo

• Completely Wrapped in Cling-Film
  • Paid
  • Amakooooooooo!
TV we've been watching lately #76
Just finished watching the first season of American Horror Story, on a friend's recommendation, and I was surprised how much I actually enjoyed it since I'm really not into horror films. The show does a great job of allowing the viewer to piece things together bit by bit, rather than explaining everything that goes on. I thought the ending was a little weak, but everything else - the character relationships, the actual horror, etc - was all really solid. It was just unsettling enough to keep me intrigued without being too gory or outright frightening.

Goose Goose Honk At Me Now

• Can I offer you a Lorna Doone?
  • Paid
  • You have a very flexible torso.
TV we've been watching lately #77
Two of my friends convinced me to watch Kamen Rider OOO, which is adorable and goofy as shit. Reasons to watch it include:
* a character who is obsessed with birthday cakes
* amazing rubbersuit monsters punching dudes
* soda cans that turn into adorable little Transformer animals
* female leads who actually have a purpose and personality and aren't anyone's love interest
* dot eyes and bitey mouths everywhere

Ryan Byewood

• How do I forum?
  • Paid
TV we've been watching lately #78
I'm years late to the party but I've started watching Twin Peaks.

And to avoid a life of school work I have started watching dumb reality tv shows to not think about school.

Mister Smalls

• Steampunk Evita original cast member
  • Paid
TV we've been watching lately #79
Now that summer is here and I've had more time to splay myself out on a couch like a fucked-up suburban lizard, I've been watching a lot more TV.

Turn (the semi-real story of the Culper Ring, a spy ring that operated during the Revolutionary War) is fucking great and I've been watching it semi-religiously.  Halt and Catch Fire (the mostly fictitious story of the personal computer revolution of the mid-1980s) is fucking abysmal bullshit and I gave up on it after one episode.

chai tea latte

• TheftBot is, simply put, a fully sentient robot for stealing automatic teller machines
  • Paid
  • (ATMs) from nearby convenience stores.
TV we've been watching lately #80
I've only seen a couple of episodes, but so far Broad City is sort of what I imagine Girls must be like in the mirror universe where Girls is both good and funny (and has likeable characters). Also, it's executive produced by Amy Poehler and Hannibal Burress is really good in it.

e: just finished the first season, definitely recommending the show.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 01:46:01 am by kal-elk »

STOG

• im baby
  • Ridiculist
  • thiis is bernie bro, to me
TV we've been watching lately #81
GOING DEEP WITH DAVID REES

Locclo

• Completely Wrapped in Cling-Film
  • Paid
  • Amakooooooooo!
TV we've been watching lately #82
I have just started watching Gotham, which was described to me as CSI meets Batman. The story begins with the murder of Thomas and Martha Wayne, Batman's parents, and it follows James Gordon, currently a detective, as he investigates who killed them. It's apparently meant to serve as one gigantic origin story for both Batman and his gallery of rogues.

I like it so far, I'm greatly enjoying Gordon and Penguin, especially. I'm curious to see how this will tie into the rest of the DC film universe that they seem to be planning, and whether or not we'll eventually see Batman make an appearance. At the moment, you can watch the first two episodes here at Fox's website, though only for a limited time (about a month and a half after the air date).

chai tea latte

• TheftBot is, simply put, a fully sentient robot for stealing automatic teller machines
  • Paid
  • (ATMs) from nearby convenience stores.
TV we've been watching lately #83
Rectify is an exquisite drama, written by Ray McKinnon (Reverend Smith on Deadwood). It unfolds slowly and delicately, and like that show, is intimately (and warmly) human. Daniel Holden has been imprisoned on death row since he was 18, accused of the rape and murder of his high school girlfriend, but almost two decades later, he's been exonerated by DNA evidence. He returns home to a town (and family) he no longer recognizes, and his arrival threatens to renew old wounds in the community.

That's a basic outline of the plot, but so much of the show is centered on human relationships. The first season is a brief six episodes, and both seasons one and two are available on Netflix.It's probably not for everyone, but I think it's a show full of moments of intense, quiet beauty.

I had to watch Rectify in chunks, because it got kind of intense. Fortunately, I've also been watching Penny Dreadful.

the first episode of Penny Dreadful stars Timothy Dalton with a sword-cane, homoreotic Young Frankenstein, an American Werewolf comma In London trick gunslinger, and Eva Green doing her best steely-eyed sherlock holmes impression. this works exceedingly well because eva green has beautiful, pericing eyes. It's basically an ode to trashy victorian penny dreadfuls (e: and Hammer Horror films) and it's incredible

Then Dorian Grey and Billie Piper with the worst Irish accent I've heard join the cast.

This show is incredible.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 02:17:52 am by chai tea latte »

Mister Smalls

• Steampunk Evita original cast member
  • Paid
TV we've been watching lately #84
I might want to make a topic of its own for this kind of thing if enough people read this and agree but I've been catching up on Doctor Who (because I hate myself) and Steven Moffat's Doctor (the most recent one (the Peter Capaldi one)) is such a cunt I cannot watch this fucking show anymore

EYE OF ZA

• some people's reactions such as the fuck,the hell,wtf, or what the hell
  • Paid
  • I have a problem and then I have another problem
TV we've been watching lately #85
Since I'm not actually paying for the show and it recently came out on Netflix, I decided to try to watch American Horror Story's third season, which is about a witch school in New Orleans.

There's awful references about how MODERN everyone is like "oh, frat party, just got the tweet" and talking about how they're witches in an age of "twitter and facebook".  Old narcissist slut witch wants plastic surgery to look younger.  Young narcissist slut witch is a movie star who literally acts insane and no one calls her out on it, also gets date-raped in the first episode.  Females Aged 13-24 Demographic Please Identify With This Witch is sarcastic and moody and basically the same character she played in the first season, except her witch power is that she can kill guys by having sex with them.  Black witch is black and fat, so she worked at a fried chicken place in Detroit before coming to shitty Hogwarts.  The racist from-the-1800's witch is there to be racist and edgy, but it's not like WE'RE racist, because she's being forced to be the black witch's slave.  The witch with Down's syndrome has her part written better than it's been in the last two seasons, at least.  And the headmistress witch is trying everything she can to have a baby.

Witches defined by beauty and/or vagina/womb: 4
Witches who are an easily defined stereotype: 5
Witches who help punch up the show's exploitation genre cred: 5
Total witches: 7

Oh, and there's zero fucking horror so far, because it's secretly American Shitty Drama Story.

Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop

• Trill Lesh
  • Paid
  • 12 cellphones and I look like kurt angle
TV we've been watching lately #86
Since I'm not actually paying for the show and it recently came out on Netflix, I decided to try to watch American Horror Story's third season, which is about a witch school in New Orleans.

There's awful references about how MODERN everyone is like "oh, frat party, just got the tweet" and talking about how they're witches in an age of "twitter and facebook".  Old narcissist slut witch wants plastic surgery to look younger.  Young narcissist slut witch is a movie star who literally acts insane and no one calls her out on it, also gets date-raped in the first episode.  Females Aged 13-24 Demographic Please Identify With This Witch is sarcastic and moody and basically the same character she played in the first season, except her witch power is that she can kill guys by having sex with them.  Black witch is black and fat, so she worked at a fried chicken place in Detroit before coming to shitty Hogwarts.  The racist from-the-1800's witch is there to be racist and edgy, but it's not like WE'RE racist, because she's being forced to be the black witch's slave.  The witch with Down's syndrome has her part written better than it's been in the last two seasons, at least.  And the headmistress witch is trying everything she can to have a baby.

Witches defined by beauty and/or vagina/womb: 4
Witches who are an easily defined stereotype: 5
Witches who help punch up the show's exploitation genre cred: 5
Total witches: 7

Oh, and there's zero fucking horror so far, because it's secretly American Shitty Drama Story.
EYE OF ZA, December 11, 2014, 06:54:58 am
Coven was probably the most enjoyable show to rip on the next day I've seen in a while, but yeah, fuck anyone who takes that show seriously. I think Leland Palmer plays the axe man of New Orleans iirc, so at least that's pretty cool

A Whirring Bone-White Gleech

• fact-lord
  • Paid
  • I was in first place, you whore!
TV we've been watching lately #87
I finally got around to watching Danger 5, and it was actually really funny.

Slayer of Yaks

• Provides Unjustified Rage Against Yaks
  • Paid
  • Can't Drink in the Drunk Zone
TV we've been watching lately #88
Oh my god, I cannot stop watching Cutthroat Kitchen. Alton Brown is so sassy.

A Meat

• Artificial Man Pop Seasoning
  • Paid
  • filled with delicious dude meat
TV we've been watching lately #89
Oh my god, I cannot stop watching Cutthroat Kitchen. Alton Brown is so sassy.
Slayer of Yaks, January 29, 2015, 05:25:44 pm

I only discovered it recently and it's great. I also found out recently about Sweet Genius and I'm already sad that I've watched a whole season and I only have two left to go. Sweet Genius is just Chopped only just about sweet stuff, if I had to describe what it is, but I still love it.,

On the other hand, I could always plunge into the huge pile of Chopped episodes I haven't watched yet.

Cooking competition shows are my choice of poison and I suspect it will in some way shorten my lifespan