Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:45:19 am

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: what's your poison (and by poison i mean delicious alcohol)  (Read 104255 times)

chai tea latte

• TheftBot is, simply put, a fully sentient robot for stealing automatic teller machines
  • Paid
  • (ATMs) from nearby convenience stores.
So, I am a really big fan of gin! Also beer, the stouter the better. Brown ale, Guiness, porters, all that good stuff. I also sometimes drink wine, though given that my wine-purchasing has historically been 'this label is typeset nicely and it is also cheap' I've had...mixed results.

What all do you guys like to drink, when you do? If you do (are you a straightedge punk person? Why?) Why is gin objectively better than other spirits? What's up with, like, tequila? All that stuff.

also i am kind of drunk right now (I think delcat once said 'in my cups' here to mean drunk and it is a delightfully folksy expressino but i fell like if i tried to say that a friend would rightly punch me for bengi a nonce) so pretend i said something equally cool and also endearing here and yeah that
Shell Game

Delcat

• Paid
It's actually a British colloquialism and I wasn't even drunk at the time, just thoughtful, so I reckon you have more right than me to say it

I don't drink very often because it fucks with my meds, but I'm a fan of flavored vodka mixed into Kool-Aid or soda or what have you.  I mean, fuck, they have marshmallow vodka.  They could just make that a soda flavor to begin with and I'd be happy.

chai tea latte

• TheftBot is, simply put, a fully sentient robot for stealing automatic teller machines
  • Paid
  • (ATMs) from nearby convenience stores.
There exists cake vodka, and while it is an awful heresy in the name of Liquor it is also so incredibly tasty. Like, I got super american-college-girl drunk off it at a party once and it was amazing. Tasted exactly like a...you know, those white cakes with the rainbow sprinkles? They can be bundt-pan cakes but don't have to be...that thing, with a slight hint of plastic (which disappeared entirely after the first taste). So good./

montrith

• Petrodactyl Spotter
  • Internaut
  • You must be this tall to ride
I don't drink much, but when I do it's mostly mixed-drinks I make myself by just randomly throwing together stuff. I'm also rather fond of Tokaj wine, but since the good ones are ridiculously expensive here in Finland I rarely have the chance to drink that.

Acierocolotl

• Romance Supremacist
  • Ridiculist
  • You will be romanticized
So, I am a really big fan of gin! Also beer, the stouter the better. Brown ale, Guiness, porters, all that good stuff. I also sometimes drink wine, though given that my wine-purchasing has historically been 'this label is typeset nicely and it is also cheap' I've had...mixed results.

What all do you guys like to drink, when you do? If you do (are you a straightedge punk person? Why?) Why is gin objectively better than other spirits? What's up with, like, tequila? All that stuff.

also i am kind of drunk right now (I think delcat once said 'in my cups' here to mean drunk and it is a delightfully folksy expressino but i fell like if i tried to say that a friend would rightly punch me for bengi a nonce) so pretend i said something equally cool and also endearing here and yeah that
kal-elk, April 09, 2013, 05:05:48 am

My house has two gins: Hendrick's (the pricier stuff) and New Amsterdam (the well drink).  I like them both.  Hendrick's is behaved and has kind of a cucumber taste to it, New Amsterdam is a nuclear assault of juniper.

I like my brown liquors:  there's always a bottle of bourbon on my desk, my readin' juice.  I'm not that fussy but I've liked Jim Beam the best so far.  I just slug from the bottle when the time is right.

I'm not a huge scotch fan, but there's a bottle of Oban 14 and Glen Breton (mostly because this one is Canadian and the Scottish are kind of upset over its naming) that linger about.

Vodka?  Tito's exclusively.  Vodka is normally on part with cheap organic solvent for me, but this shit is really smooth and drinkable, reasonably economical, and mixes well, so it goes well with the lady and her friends.

Sometimes I'll get a bottle of Fine Sève (maple whiskey) whenever I can, but I have to cross the border and seek out an ADQ (Quebecois regulated liquor store, the equivalent of Ontario's LCBO) to get a bottle.

We have also girly drink stuff (amaretto-equivalents, irish cream, etc.) but that's not my thing.  G&Ts are about as mixed drink as I usually get.

count_actuala

• Real VamPire
  • Paid
  • Do you tend to get a high from human blood?
I love me a drink. I accept beers of most descriptions and cannot be trusted with rum. I'm picky only when it comes to whiskey, in which case my heart belongs to Whistlepig. Pricey, but good glory is it tasty.

My favorite mixes include the dark n stormy and hunch punch. Never said I was a classy boy.

ETA: I generally don't enjoy grape wine, but I regularly make small batches of other fruit wines. I've made strawberry, elderberry, and peach in recent memory. Once the appropriate season rolls around my basement will be invaded by burbling jugs of dandelion wine in the making.

Note: I make some country-ass wine, so don't ask me for advice. Leave me to my own dangerous devices.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 12:23:15 pm by Juice Unlimited »

Geremy Tibbles

• Liquor Dragon
  • Paid
  • DIS GENERATION
Whiskey is greatest.

I typically drink rye whiskey. Either Old Overholt or Ryan and Woods when I can afford it. Tyrconnell 10 year Single Malt is by far my favorite, but I can never find it around here, and I can't order booze online because I live in MA.

Bourbon wise, Jim Beam Black or Wild Turkey are fine by me, but if I want something classy I go straight for Booker's. Booker's is hands down my favorite bourbon.

I've taken to drinking Torontos, which OO is great in:

Rye
Fernet-Branca
A little simple syrup
dash of Angostura bitters
Orange peel
Maxine Headroom

Acierocolotl

• Romance Supremacist
  • Ridiculist
Thanks for reminding me about the rye there, Jérôme.

Occasionally there will be a bottle of rye in the house, though I've stuck with Alberta Premium.  I think partially because it's not a bad drink at all, and partially because I really, really dig the irony of a me drinking something with Alberta on the bottle.  It also mixes well in small quantities with juices and other summer drinks to shift the flavour profile; it kills a lot of the sweet flavour in potassium-rich berry juice, for instance, without using more than a quarter-shot or so per glass--and that's one of my favourite evening drinks after a lot of physical activity.

Also I need to pay attention, because it's a frikkin' SAQ, not ADQ.  Seriously, my posts have had stupid typos all day.

I think I've gone on about beers before, but I love a good IPA.  In a pinch, La Cinquante will do.  I was surprised by how much I liked it, but that also makes sense.

I've picked out wines based very broadly on what I'm looking for in terms of what I was planning to cook--generally I find an excuse to try some random sharp white-or-other with richer meals just to act as a palate cleanser; criteria being that said white must come in a glass bottle.  Carton wine is a crime, pass it on.

squiddy

• #1 Fox in Socks reader
  • Ridiculist
  • Do you choose to chew goo too, sir?
When I do drink, which is considerably less often than I used to, I'll drink a teeny glass of white wine. My selection process for bottles of wine goes: Hey, I'm at Trader Joes! What's $1 more than three-buck-chuck? I also really love hoppy or sour beers, or dark, dark creamy beers. We have wonderful local brewerys and there are some great local beers.

This thread has got me thinking that since I drink so little maybe I should splurge on wines that cost more than $4...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 03:35:22 pm by squiddy »

Isfahan

• Ask me about AKs.
  • Ridiculist
  • Trouble with customers? Isfahano cares.
Carton wine is a crime, pass it on.Acierocolotl, April 09, 2013, 12:44:54 pm

Well how would you propose making bridal and baby showers bearable, then?

count_actuala

• Real VamPire
  • Paid

Isfahan, April 09, 2013, 03:07:51 pm
Hey, if you get the ratios of Everclear to fruit juice and pop right in hunch punch it turns a festive shade of baby pink.
Maxine Headroom

Acierocolotl

• Romance Supremacist
  • Ridiculist

Christ son, if you're going to bridal and baby showers were carton wine is the order of the day, you really need to reassess your life and start meeting people who don't live in trailer parks.  People who drink carton wine call their daughters Britnee.

count_actuala

• Real VamPire
  • Paid

Christ son, if you're going to bridal and baby showers were carton wine is the order of the day, you really need to reassess your life and start meeting people who don't live in trailer parks.  People who drink carton wine call their daughters Britnee.
Acierocolotl, April 09, 2013, 03:16:41 pm
Incorrect, they call them Muhlaykah or Jordan or, perplexingly, Carolyn.
Goose Goose Honk At Me Now

Goose Goose Honk At Me Now

• Can I offer you a Lorna Doone?
  • Paid
  • You have a very flexible torso.
Incorrect, they call them Muhlaykah or Jordan or, perplexingly, Carolyn.
Juice Unlimited, April 09, 2013, 03:17:40 pm

Don't take Carolyn to the prom unless you're 110% sure nobody is going to pull a horrific prank on her. And to be safe, don't give her any carton wine either.
Delcat Sun Smasher

Acierocolotl

• Romance Supremacist
  • Ridiculist
Incorrect, they call them Muhlaykah or Jordan or, perplexingly, Carolyn.Juice Unlimited, April 09, 2013, 03:17:40 pm

What I know for sure is that I hold Juggalos on a higher tier.  JUGGALOS.  Juggies at least (tht!) have some faint inkling tht! they're ridiculous.