Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:29:47 pm

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Episode 116: Does An Ellipsis Count As Three Words?  (Read 32909 times)

Goose Goose Honk At Me Now

• Can I offer you a Lorna Doone?
  • Paid
  • You have a very flexible torso.
Anyways, new topic - what the shit is up with terrible nerds and wanting things they make to be trilogies?
kal-elk, December 11, 2013, 11:22:18 pm
A formative experience with Star Wars and/or Lord of the Rings. The only problem is, those were created by entire teams of talented people who shared and contributed to a strong and coherent vision, not internet forums.

AlbieQuirky

• Paid
Anyways, new topic - what the shit is up with terrible nerds and wanting things they make to be trilogies? There are way too many of these people for it to be simple coincidence. This comes up in the kickstarter episode too, iirc.
kal-elk, December 11, 2013, 11:22:18 pm

For once, this reflects a real pressure in the legit publishing industry. It is currently very hard to sell a science fiction, fantasy, or mystery novel that doesn't have "series potential".

Of course these chucklefucks disregard every other pressure from the publishing industry, like "being literate," "making an ounce of fucking sense," and "writing dialogue that human beings might possibly have spoken," but that's how cargo cults work---you take one element of a real thing out of context and then construct an elaborate straw framework for your pretendy games.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 12:05:45 am by AlbieQuirky »

Odd

• Paid
Aldo Odd, the correct answer was and always has been 'yeah, that's gross, someone just finished telling me about how awful it was and I thought I'd share', regardless of if that's true or not. Wisecracking about watchlists...did not help your case.kal-elk, December 11, 2013, 11:22:18 pm

No, I read all 12 volumes. I could write you a detailed synopsis. It is a series of books that sold nearly two million copies of the last volume alone, was a huge mainstream media phenomenon that spawned an anime adaptation, manga, videogames, radio shows, a lot of merchandise and was even emblazoned on several train cars:

The story is fucking weird but not as weird as how popular it is.

The correct counter question is: "How can you not understand the pleasure of reading horrible things with objectionable content if you enjoy hearing F+?"

chai tea latte

• TheftBot is, simply put, a fully sentient robot for stealing automatic teller machines
  • Paid
  • (ATMs) from nearby convenience stores.
How can i balk at reading things with objectionable content because I like the F Plus? Because I find certain subjects (pedophilia, bestiality, incest) too vile to willingly consume media which endorses them. It's not like I'm going to go and burn all the Nabokov books I own because he wrote Lolita, because Humbert Humbert is a sick, disgusting man. I enjoyed Top Of The Lake because even though it's a mystery about a small town and the rape of a child, it doesn't portray that rape as morally neutral or even good. But a series in which the main relationship is an incestuous one and it's all a-okay disgusts me and you're damn right I'm going to judge. That it "spawned an anime adaptation, manga, videogames, radio shows, a lot of merchandise and was even emblazoned on several train cars" is bizarre and might be worth mocking or investigating if it wasn't already about incest. (e: underaged incest no less!) I think I agree with you that the popularity of it is the weirdest part, but it definitely has competition!

Regarding trilogies, both of those explanations seem reasonable to me. Thanks!

Figs SHAMBA~1.SBB
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 09:42:41 am by kal-reindeer »

Odd

• Paid
How can i balk at reading things with objectionable content because I like the F Plus? Because I find certain subjects (pedophilia, bestiality, incest) too vile to willingly consume media which endorses them.
kal-reindeer, December 12, 2013, 06:32:30 am

I have a stronger stomach. Precisely because it is wrong reading it was interesting. It turns out Oreimo is just an atypical take on a "Forbidden Romance" plot. Stuff like "Story of O" is more disgusting and Anais Nin's books are more disturbing.

Runic

• Is Putting A Donk On It
  • Paid
  • John Brown did nothing wrong
This is odd we're talking about. He's like your weird friend who will occasionally show up with some nice stuff that he's willing to share, but it's really probably for the best that you not inquire too closely into where he gets it from. You won't like the answer.
Baldr Navigator