Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:38:13 pm

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Episode 122: The Gospel of Saint Jimmy Olsen  (Read 21609 times)

Lemon

• Whatever happened to Freedom of Speech?
  • Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
Episode 122: The Gospel of Saint Jimmy Olsen
with Boots Raingear, Isfahan, Jack Chick, Kumquatxop, and Lemon.

Content for this episode was compiled by Erminea Heart.

Edited by Boots Raingear.

Religion is one way to find meaning in one's life, and while it may be spiritually fulfilling, it's still not as fun as sitting in your room and reading Batman comics all day. Well, fortunately these are two great tastes that can go great together. This episode is about Pop Culture Pagans - People who believe their favorite fictional characters are their gods. No, really, they actually totally mean that. This week, you can add graveyard dirt if you like.

CormansInferno

• Forsooth! A ravenous ghoul approaches!
  • Paid
Episode 122: The Gospel of Saint Jimmy Olsen #1
Geekanerd Annontations:

"ZURR EN ARRH" - Originally the Outer Space Batman from the "Children are reading these things, who gives a fuck" phase of comics.

Grant Morrison repurposed the idea during his Batman run in his usual mishmash of Eastern philosophy cliff notes, superheroes, and oblique pop culture references. It was a backup personality that Batman created during an acid trip (which is how Morrison contextualized Batman's goofball Silver Age adventures with aliens and alternate universes). Morrison's ideas are just smart enough for dumb people to be psuedointellectual about so of course this crowd adopted it.

Knowing the kind of people who will take Morrison's ideas seriously, I kind of wonder if tulpas are tied at all to a story Morrison did a few years ago where Super-Obama basically fights Tulpa Superman:

montrith

• Petrodactyl Spotter
  • Internaut
  • You must be this tall to ride
Episode 122: The Gospel of Saint Jimmy Olsen #2
I prefer to think this is the version of Batman those guys are worshiping.

Cheapskate

• Persnickety fussbudget
  • Paid
Episode 122: The Gospel of Saint Jimmy Olsen #3
The episode music led me to believe that someone in this episode would worship Prince. I am disappointed.

Note that in Vietnam, people worship Victor Hugo, and in Taiwan they pray to one of the dudes from Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

Goose Goose Honk At Me Now

• Can I offer you a Lorna Doone?
  • Paid
  • You have a very flexible torso.
Episode 122: The Gospel of Saint Jimmy Olsen #4
"Ave Antonius" made me laugh so hard I nearly choked on my breakfast.

Although, "Hail Tony full of booze"? He's an alcoholic. Dude has been trying not to be full of booze since, like, the late 70s. Come on, people.

Odd

• Paid
Episode 122: The Gospel of Saint Jimmy Olsen #5
There's only one reported and believable case of a metaphysical miracle performed by a comic book character, and that's Doctor Doom:

Then again the same miracle has been performed by other characters like the Gorilla Butler from Cats Don't Dance.

A clarification. I notice that you lot were repeatedly confused by the mentions of Batman killing the god of evil. I assume that's a reference to that one time Batman shot Darkseid with a science-gun and killed him after Darkseid had used the Anti-Life equation to take control of earth.
http://comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/27306/DARKSEID_batman_shot_052911.jpg
Except that the Omega rays shot by Darkseid before his death eventually struck Batman, apparently killing him. But in fact they sent him to be lost in time, hypercharged by Omega particles so that when he came back to the present his body would explode and destroy the planet.
He eventually returns to the present without exploding in what Batheists would consider Easter, Bateaster.

There is one (1) aspect about the Batman religion I have trouble processing and that is summoning Gotham City. Gotham City is like the Detroit of the DC universe. It used to be the New York but as New York fixed its image Gotham was made darker and darker. In fact during a brief period during the 90s I'm sure it was close to being as dangerous as Johannesburg. Why the hell would you want to summon that shithole?

For the Atheists among us that feel left out by the deep spiritualism demonstrated in this episode we have the words of Beta Ray Bill to a group of Skrulls who tried to use prayer to summon Thor to aid them:

Runic

• Is Putting A Donk On It
  • Paid
  • John Brown did nothing wrong
Episode 122: The Gospel of Saint Jimmy Olsen #6
I was going to post that about Final Crisis as well. Note that Final Crisis was also written by Grant Morrison and that seems appropriate given that Grant Morrison is also completely insane. Note that I really like Grant Morrison's comics, he actually just finished a great run on Batman, but the man himself is off his rocker. He actually believes some kind of similar things, and claims to have once summoned the DC comics character Metatron using Chaos Magic. While writing the series The Invisibles he came to believe that one of the characters was mystically linked to himself after that character got shot in the lung and he came down with Pneumonia, which is why he subsequently wrote that character having massive amounts of sex. At one point, when the series was in threat of cancellation, he published a magical tantric spell in the comic and encouraged readers to masturbate over it in an effort to magically save the series. He also thinks that genetic engineering and the mystical forces of the human collective subconscious or something are going to make superheroes real.

The man is off his rocker, and is also probably the best writer in superhero comics. I don't know if those two facts are related, but they always say that there is only a thin line between genius and madness.

EDIT: Also note that Alan Moore, who many of you may already be familiar with from Watchman, Miracleman, V for Vendetta, and that really good run on Swamp Thing, is also some sort of crazy pagan. He worships a Roman snake god that he acknowledges was probably an outright fraud, and wrote an entire series, Promethia, based around his beliefs on magic. He's also a really good writer, so maybe there is a connection? Or maybe it's all the drugs?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 10:48:51 pm by Runic »

CormansInferno

• Forsooth! A ravenous ghoul approaches!
  • Paid
Episode 122: The Gospel of Saint Jimmy Olsen #7
He also thinks that genetic engineering and the mystical forces of the human collective subconscious or something are going to make superheroes real.Runic, January 06, 2014, 10:46:26 pm

Not only that, in his book Supergods he argues that superheroes are wholly expressions of the creative unconscious and no one can lay ownership to them, so it's completely okay that the flesh and blood people who created them were given enourmously shitty deals that in many cases continue to this day and, coincidentally, a large number of which are owned by the company that made Morrison a milllionaire. Hilariously a short time later Morrison wanted to use his character Flex Mentallo for a creator-owned series and found out that he actually couldn't because thanks to the shitty and exploitative deal he himself signed with DC, they outright owned the character.
chai tea latte
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 10:42:48 am by CormansInferno »

A Meat

• Artificial Man Pop Seasoning
  • Paid
  • filled with delicious dude meat
Episode 122: The Gospel of Saint Jimmy Olsen #8
Hey, you people like Skyrim? (Or any other Elder Scrolls games?)

So this is my first time creating a spell or curse or anything, and really, it’s simply a real-world translation of the Black Sacrament from The Elder Scrolls games. Game info can be found in my info post re: the Black Sacrament and the Night Mother.

I recommend already having a working relationship with the Night Mother before using this curse, but it is not required.

From http://shadowedpath.tumblr.com/post/70176394428/the-black-sacrament-a-death-curse

Anyway. In the past six month or so, as I’ve gotten more comfortable in my spirituality and discovering my spirituality, I’ve felt more and more of a draw to Azura and Nocturnal. I’ve always had a thing about shadows and balance and “in between” and today (with a bit of reassurance from ironheartwitch) it just clicked in me. Yes, Azura and Nocturnal are poking at me. Yes, They exist. Yes, They want my attention.

What They want my attention for, I don’t yet know. But They want it. So I’ll give it.

From http://shadowedpath.tumblr.com/daedra

• Paid
Episode 122: The Gospel of Saint Jimmy Olsen #9
elder scrolls worship
A Meat, January 08, 2014, 09:59:44 am
If I can't eat a butterfly wing and have the sudden revelation that it has healing properties, I'm not interested.
Ansemaru

Runic

• Is Putting A Donk On It
  • Paid
  • John Brown did nothing wrong
Episode 122: The Gospel of Saint Jimmy Olsen #10
So this is my first time creating a spell or curse or anything, and really, it’s simply a real-world translation of the Black Sacrament from The Elder Scrolls games. Game info can be found in my info post re: the Black Sacrament and the Night Mother.

I recommend already having a working relationship with the Night Mother before using this curse, but it is not required.
So If I know my nerd games, this means that he's killed at least one person.

EYE OF ZA

• some people's reactions such as the fuck,the hell,wtf, or what the hell
  • Paid
  • I have a problem and then I have another problem
Episode 122: The Gospel of Saint Jimmy Olsen #11
From http://shadowedpath.tumblr.com/daedra
A Meat, January 08, 2014, 09:59:44 am
Man there's way cooler things you could be doing if you're worshiping Elder Scrolls gods.

Anyway I took a look at the shadowedpath tumblr and there's a nice mix of Spells of Magic/WikiHow in there.
Tips and tricks: low income witchery

spellyalater:

frozendarkember:

1. Tools aren’t always needed and when they are many can be improvised. Branches from the yard or some popsicle sticks can serve as home made or temporary wands; Cooking pots make great cauldrons- just make sure to get permission if its not your pot; Nail files can serve as a ritual blade if needed.
            2. See what herbs and spices are in the cooking section of Walmart before running off to the local new age shop. Price compare and you may save both time and money.
            3. Invest in play dough; allows you to make into temporary figures or vessels for a specific work then break apart and store in air tight container for another day.
            4. Reuse and recycle; a good thing for saving money in any case but if you are on a nature based path it can also serve as a devotional act.
            5. Check kindle on Amazon daily for free books on your topics of interest.

Other good ideas anyone?

Mod additions:

1. Wooden spoons can be purchased cheap for $1 at the dollar store. They also work. Also remember tat tools ARE NOT NECESSARY. while they may help people, others work better without them and some systems of magic do not use them at all. They’re optional depending on the paradigm you work under.
        2. And you shouldn’t gloss over mixed spices when looking… Don’t just look at the single spices. Mixed spices and Spice blends can save you even more money and have multiple purposes (like buying Italian seasoning as opposed to buying Basil, Oregano, Sage, etc individually).
        3. Alternatively you can learn to make your own online easily and with few ingredients.
        4. No additions.
        5. I review a lot of New-Age books on Goodreads- especially Kindle Free Books. Not all of Kindle’s free Witchcraft and related books are worth a crap (in fact, most aren’t worth jack shit). Be critical when reading and if it sounds like bullshit it usually is.

• Paid
Episode 122: The Gospel of Saint Jimmy Olsen #12
Branches from the yard or some popsicle sticks can serve as home made or temporary wandsEYE OF ZA, January 08, 2014, 08:52:59 pm
Is the joke on the end of the ice cream stick part of the incantation?

montrith

• Petrodactyl Spotter
  • Internaut
  • You must be this tall to ride
Episode 122: The Gospel of Saint Jimmy Olsen #13
Wooden spoons, kettles, spices...are we sure these people are not just trying to learn how to cook?

Sherlockian

• Library handwriting. Indexing. Abstracting. Alphabetizing. Filing.
  • Paid
  • File under Z695.95 S54
Episode 122: The Gospel of Saint Jimmy Olsen #14
I got weirdly angry at the Batman stuff because if you want to worship a superhero who is basically Jesus, you should just worship Superman.