Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:08:48 am

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Movies We've Seen Recently  (Read 207081 times)

chai tea latte

• TheftBot is, simply put, a fully sentient robot for stealing automatic teller machines
  • Paid
  • (ATMs) from nearby convenience stores.
Movies We've Seen Recently #765
Oppenheimer 2023 4.5/5
Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning: Part One 4/5

Gonna see Barbie at home with my mom so I didn't "barbenheimer" but there was no way I was gonna miss these two in the theatre. before Dead Reckoning there's a ten second thing with Tom Cruise and the director where they say, hey, we make these movies for you to enjoy on the big screen, thanks for coming out today. And it's true, y'know, that's true about blockbusters and the big screen. And it's true that the summer blockbuster is back!!! COVID-19 did not kill it forever! Streaming at home hasn't killed it yet! Go get some AC and hit your vape pen outside the multiplex because baby it is a summer for blockbusters and for each of us who loves da friggin moveys.

the modern M:I movies only get better and better and this one was awesome. We open with a car chase that feels refreshingly new and fun, we have a great train scene that calls back to the first movie, and the stakes for Ethan "I refuse to sacrifice the people I love for the country I am honour-bound to protect" Hunt have never been higher or more perfectly calibrated to the world we live in. This is the last big action franchise with real stunts and the stunts are real as fuck and really fucking good. Meanwhile, Oppenheimer was a brilliant delight. Anyone who thought it was subtle or confusing fails my "understanding the visual language of cinema" class. the movie is many things but it isn't subtle! the thread of 'we theorize the existence of black holes / the sun as nuclear fusion bomb / the sun collapses into a gravitational singularity at the heart of a black hole' was extremely unsubtle but nobody talked about it last week when they were all gesturing at what the movie means or ignores or justifies. There's so much to take away from this and it is a genuine draw to actually go see a movie at the friggin theatre. See it in IMAX if you still can.

After Blue (Paradis Sale) (2021) 3/5
there are a lot of French movies where it's pretty, but nothing happens - cinéma du look - and this is one of them. it's very pretty though. the French are some of the only people still making movies where naked women alternately kiss and shoot each other while covered in glitter. the director has some stupid Manifesto About Film that involves shooting on expired film without a script. the expired film looks nice, and the lack of a script is a real shame given how nice everyone and everything looks. god it's boring though. if that sounds interesting to you, well, it's on Shudder.

the Exorcism of Emily Rose (2005) 2/5
An underwhelming legal drama / horror movie (mostly a bad legal drama?) about a catholic priest killing a young woman except maybe what if it was demon possession and the catholic priest were a super good guy who never wanted to harm children and who shouldn't go to jail? Shoreh Agdashloo from The Expanse has a small role as a witness for the defense near the end of the movie and she's awesome. For all that it's "based on a true story" and even though the movie is extremely clear about the facts of the legal case, we are asked by the filmmakers (and, in a disquieting post-credits card, the family of Emily Rose) to "explore the possibility" that the priest's misdiagnosis of Emily Rose's "epileptic psychopathy" was some sort of Godly trick to publicize just how real Satanic possession is and how real God is. Any credit the movie might buy by reminding you of the Exorcist (and it tries a lot) is lost for me here. And you're supposed to root for the Catholic priest! In the horror movie!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 12:11:56 am by chai tea latte »

DUDEVSTHEWORLD

• Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #766
$4 movie tickets nationwide on Sunday

Im.trying to choose between blue beetle, tmnt and talk to me

FinchChunk

• Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #767
Talk to Me was one of the most gripping horror films I've seen. For comparison of tension level, though not content, it built a lot like Hereditary but I think had a tenser final act. I am probably a bit biased since it's nice to see aussie films doing well.

chai tea latte

• TheftBot is, simply put, a fully sentient robot for stealing automatic teller machines
  • Paid
  • (ATMs) from nearby convenience stores.
Movies We've Seen Recently #768
Killers of the Flower Moon was a masterpiece. Big ups to Marty on this one. It's crazy to have a movie to star Robert DeNiro, Leo DiCaprio, and a woman whose prior claim to fame was a series of film school youtube videos (and Certain Women, Buster's Mal Heart), where the woman in question acts the pants off of deniro and dicaprio. If you were to somehow, accidentally, only see the scenes of this movie where the camera is set at a closeup of Lily Gladstone's face it would still be the best movie you'd seen in 2023. Five stars. COVID-19 delays in filming and editing led Scorsese to "drastically re-evaluate" the viewpoint from which he tells the film; the book (also very good!) chooses as its main character Tom White, the 'ndn' agent of the newly-formed FBI. Scorsese instead chooses Lily Gladstone's Mollie Burkhart, a woman who spends three hours of the 3.5 hour movie aware that her husband murdered her entire family for money. The effect, to me, was that the movie is more humiliating, more humbling, sadder, more tragic, than the book because of this lens. Great stuff.

Say Yes (2018) - one of the strangest romantic plots in history. This movie is unlike anything else ever made by a human being with a human brain and person emotions. A woman, dying of a sudden and aggressive cancer, insists that she can only be happy in death if her fraternal-twin-brother and her husband fuck. And they do. Weird stuff. two stars

Ogroff the Mad Mutilator - maybe one of the coolest things i have ever seen that was filmed on Super 8 film but i'm not actually convinced that this was a movie. Some weird french guy tries to remake Texas Chainsaw Massacre in the idyllic wooded French countryside. THE MAD WOODSMAN is CONVINCED THE WAR NEVER ENDED and if you stray into his woods HE KILLS YOU. there is almost no dialogue at all in the entire film. at one point Ogroff the Mad Mutilator drives a motorcycle down the highway and throws axes at women. when he returns home to his weird farmer shack he jacks off an axe while staring at a wall calendar pinup. Weird as fuck. Startling. Unaware of any rules or conventions established by any previous movie, horror or not. 3.5 stars.

Chompy & The Girls - awesome!!!!! total pulp. Absolutely loved this. A woman wants to kill herself but instead she reconnects with her biological father, and when they're hanging out in the park, they see a space alien swallow a little girl whole and eat her. the space alien then proceeds to It Follows them around their anonymous city. Made for a TINY budget and with an AUDACIOUS goal, Chompy & The Girls succeeds, imo, on all levels other than 'well-integrated CGI'. 3.5 stars.

Asteroid City - Wasn't sure about this one! But you see Scarlett Johansson naked in the mirror for a like ten second shot. As far as Wes Anderson movies go if you like that stuff you'll like this one; he's back on his bullshit. Personally I was so annoyed we didn't get to actually see video of the new mexico desert; fuck off with your soundstages, asshole. I like the desert and I think the stars are awesome there. I'm a so-so Anderson fan and I think this was most of the stuff he does that I don't like rather than the stuff he does that I do like. Maybe I don't like Wes Anderson at all. IDK. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah wes anderson dialogue. And what I'm trying to say is that I haven't been the same , emotionally, kids, since your mother died. Two stars.

Cypher (2002) - I really liked this! Lucy Liu smoulders, the main guy grows on you, I liked him a lot by the end of the movie too. It's a neo-noir about corporate espionage, and the trick of a spy, especially a corporate spy, is "dissimulation", pretending-to-be-that-which-one-is-not. This movie dissimulates itself really well IMO. When telling a story that spirals out from its centre like this, we as the audience have to be so interested in the first cover story being told, in its characters (and I was!), that we're surprised when the william gibson PKD of it all really comes to the fore. Awesome stuff. Great script from Brian King. Can't wait to show this to people. 4 stars.

moooo566 (taylor's version)

• Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #769
Yesterday was the 20th anniversary of the release of Return Of The King, so I did the sensible thing and spent 11 hours in the cinema watching them in IMAX.

They're always been impressive films, but there's so much I've never noticed, having only seen them in home versions, on small displays with crappy speakers in a building full of other stuff. The practical effects are incredible, and even the CGI holds up relatively well considering how old it is. The casting and acting is so on point, every little thing is sold so well, both verbally and in body language, in the centre of the shot and in the background, whether it's a major character or just Old Man #14. The music is beautiful and striking and timed and delivered with absolute perfection.

It's clear just how much love and care and effort was put into those films, in a way that almost never shows, especially in fantasy.
Salubrious Rex VaMpIrESoFtWaRe chai tea latte

moooo566 (taylor's version)

• Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #770
DUNC part two is great, but obviously ends on a cliffhanger, so I guess they'll just need to keep going through the completely insane shit, both because I earnestly want to see that turned into something good and because I desperately need to see how people who haven't been exposed to the source material take it.