Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:13:52 am

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: How did you find the F+?  (Read 89801 times)

scratchohey

• Bird Ghost
  • Paid
  • Break c'mon OOH
How did you find the F+? #30
I was introduced to F+ through the old Something Awful pokegirls thread, of all things. Someone posted the F+ episode on pokegirls, and the podcast's description was right up my alley. I was hooked from the moment Portaxx started sobbing! Seriously, I blitzed through most of the backlog over a couple days, it was great.

All this talk about Portal of Evil makes me wish that I could have been around in its better years, especially now that SA (PYF in particular) is taking a strong stance against mock threads. Of course, I was just a dumb, attention-seeking youngun back in the early oughts, so I probably would have hated it.

PurpleXVI

• Paid
How did you find the F+? #31
Well, I know AO from before the F+ was really a thing, due to mutual interest in shooting mans in videogames(though it started out as mutual interest in gaining XP in videogames), and I'm pretty sure he was the first to link me and get me listening.

Adept

• Statistically Insignificant
  • Paid
  • (p=.056)
How did you find the F+? #32
Supernatural's still pretty early, MicroMissiles. I came in at 'Go Get 'Em, Tiger!' after following a blog post. The strange thing is that I had independently stumbled upon Zarla's stuff before and somehow managed to miss the links to the podcast during the creepypasta episode. I was kind of blown away when I found out that the threads of my internet atrocity touring history were coming together.

Locclo

• Completely Wrapped in Cling-Film
  • Paid
  • Amakooooooooo!
How did you find the F+? #33
I found it through a friend who (I believe) played a lot of TF2 with the crew. I was just minding my own business when one day, he calls me up and says, "Dude, you gotta check out this podcast, it's the funniest thing I've ever heard." I listened to the first couple of episodes, and from the moment I heard "Timing is Everything" from The Internet After Dark, I was hooked.

Edit: I seem to be a pretty early fan from the looks of things. :P The podcast was already a little established by the time I came in, but I know that Sub Sub Pop was the latest episode when I listened to the first episode.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 03:34:47 am by Locclo »

Delcat

• Paid
How did you find the F+? #34
I was hooked from the moment Portaxx started sobbing!
scratchohey, May 01, 2013, 06:28:22 am

There's a dustjacket quote for the F+ hardcover edition.

Man, Zarla should be getting a finder's fee at this point.

Fax

• Paid
How did you find the F+? #35
I lay the blame squarely on the shoulders of Chaz and Icarus, the creepypasta and Hans von hozel episodes really did it for me with their silliness

agentanalogue

• Reagent Provocateur
  • Paid
  • AMACKOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
How did you find the F+? #36
As awful as I agree The Earwolf Challenge was, I am eternally grateful that it introduced me to you guys.  I'm friends with Brett Hammil, and after he was knocked out I was cheering for The F-plus, and then Left Handed Radio.  I'm embarassed to say you were originally my second choice, but after about two years of listening, I'd put the F-plus at the top any day.

I would say the hooking episode for me was "It's only Supernatural", but I have so many favorites its hard to judge.

And can if I can make one short whiney rant?  Fuck Earwolf.  How do you pit someone well-connected enough to get actual celebrities up against everyone else?  Even if you make a superior podcast (which you guys do) you're still not going to command the listenership of someone who can just casually have Charlie Day drop by for no particular reason.  And especially fuck them for never addressing this fact...

oh god, somebody stop me.

Delcat

• Paid
How did you find the F+? #37
Earwolf Challenge?

agentanalogue

• Reagent Provocateur
  • Paid
  • AMACKOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
How did you find the F+? #38
Yes, it was billed as a reality show podcast competition put on by the people who host the "Earwolf" network of podcasts.  Each week contestants were given challenges about what kind of content to create and then content was judged and a podcast got eliminated.

You can hear Lemon (or possibly Adam, but I think it's Lemon) doing an awesome impression of the show's host on "Today's Progress was Yesterday's Form Field" when he says "I don't know guys, I didn't get it."

There were many things that were sort of infuriating about the whole contest.  For one thing that they stacked interview shows up against sketch and concept shows.  The majority of people, unfortunately, favor interview shows because they more closely match the style of radio they're familiar with.

The thing I was ranting about in the previous post was that the show's ultimate winner, (I can't even remember her name) was an interview show run by a married couple, the wife of which had worked in casting down in L.A., so she had excellent connections to bring on celebrity hosts.

In one of the more staggering oversights that they barely even acknowledged, one of their celebrity guest judges, Mark Maron, had been ON her show as a guest already by the time she was competing.

Oh god, stop me again, I could fill pages with my manifesto on this drivel. 

Goose Goose Honk At Me Now

• Can I offer you a Lorna Doone?
  • Paid
  • You have a very flexible torso.
How did you find the F+? #39
Oh god, stop me again, I could fill pages with my manifesto on this drivel.
agentmonster cockogue, June 03, 2013, 08:55:20 am
Please do!

Lemon

• Whatever happened to Freedom of Speech?
  • Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
How did you find the F+? #40
No, let's not do that please. That thing is far enough in the past now, it was frustrating, but I've spent enough time being angry about it.

For what it's worth though, we shouldn't have won. "Winning" the competition would have meant being picked up by the Earwolf network, and it would have been a really uncomfortable fit for everyone involved. I wouldn't have liked losing the autonomy of producing our show the way we like, and Earwolf wouldn't have liked dealing with the flak that comes from producing a show that isn't showbiz-based. I'm glad we got a non-zero amount of additional listeners from it, and I got to talk to some of the other contestants, which wouldn't have happened otherwise.

Also, it helped us refocus what the point of the show really is.

Bunnybread

• You're welcome, genitals of the world.
  • Ridiculist
How did you find the F+? #41
Also, it helped us refocus what the point of the show really is.
Lemon, June 03, 2013, 10:11:23 am
.... which is to get me more ass/money.

Edit:  Didn't wanna leave the fellas out.
Trill La Trill
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 10:43:31 am by bunnybread »

Down10

• Square Pusher
  • Paid
How did you find the F+? #42
I hazily recall that I discovered the F+ by Googling "fanfic dramatic reading" and fell down the rabbit hole from there.

(Hmm, somehow that sentence doesn't read right after bunnybread's post.)

Isfahan

• Ask me about AKs.
  • Ridiculist
  • Trouble with customers? Isfahano cares.
How did you find the F+? #43
.... which is to get me more ass/money.bunnybread, June 03, 2013, 10:36:48 am

Yep. Sorry to tell you, folks, but this whole podcast exists only to wingman Bunnybread.

Runic

• Is Putting A Donk On It
  • Paid
  • John Brown did nothing wrong
How did you find the F+? #44
.... which is to get me more ass/money.bunnybread, June 03, 2013, 10:36:48 am

Yep. Sorry to tell you, folks, but this whole podcast exists only to wingman Bunnybread.
Isfahan, June 03, 2013, 03:52:02 pm
I'm okay with that.