Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:40:43 am

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Thread.setTitle("Programmers Anonymous");  (Read 60700 times)

Schumin Capote

• Paid
  • Nice to see you, to see you nice.
How is the Angular community doing these days? It seems like Google nearly killed it with Angular 2 and while I've heard that Angular 4 is better, I haven't had much reason to check it out.
Schumin Capote, March 05, 2018, 08:31:48 pm

AFAIK the Angular community is still going strong. Google's still pushing it, in the way that Google pushes things (which means really heavily for like 3 months before ignoring it for another 3 and then coming back to it and wanting to change everything) and there's a lot of corporate buy-in to the ecosystem because "Google Has Invented The System" is an appealing thing for the business people to hear. I still do not like the syntax and I'm sure I never will, but I find it infinitely more agreeable than React. And I personally think Ember and Vue will always be considered niche.

Lemon, March 05, 2018, 09:04:08 pm

Ember is definitely niche, but it was my first exposure to a modern JS framework. With Vue, it's not backed by a major US company like Facebook or Google, but it still has fairly strong support from big companies and has a good community. It may never surpass React in terms of market share, but it is big enough that I'm comfortable with it. We've already launched an online education site and practice relationship manager with it and I've had good success transitioning developers from Angular 1 to Vue. It won't be the right fit in every company or project, but it's worked for what we are doing.

Ambious

The son of a bitch fined us by 20 points (out of 100) for using "external libraries" ngMessages and ngCookies.
Those are part of the AngularJS API! They're in the official documentation! We got them from the AngularJS website!
IN WHAT WORLD ARE THOSE "EXTERNAL" PACKAGES?!

I AM ANGRY!

Emperor Jack Chick

• he/him
  • Ridiculist
  • Metal tyrant from hell
The son of a bitch fined us by 20 points (out of 100) for using "external libraries" ngMessages and ngCookies.
Those are part of the AngularJS API! They're in the official documentation! We got them from the AngularJS website!

I AM ANGRY!
Ambious, March 11, 2018, 02:02:27 pm

what is the point of limiting the libraries you can use in the first place

Ambious

I AM ANGRY!

jack chick, March 12, 2018, 01:01:44 pm

The official explanation: He wants us to learn to code stuff ourselves and not just rely on external libraries to do everything for us.
The real reason probably: He doesn't want to have to check code he doesn't understand because it uses libraries he doesn't have the time or patience to read the documentation of because like all IBM employees he has a stick so far up his ass he doesn't even know how to read anything without the IBM logo on it. I bet even his turds are up to company policy.

Turtle

• [F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+]
  • Paid
The sentiment of having to do the code yourself instead of using an external library is valid, but should not apply to the framework you're using, the common tools of the language, or aspects of the program that are not the focus of the exercise.

If I asked you to write a json serializer in C# and you turned in a program that references Newtonsoft.Json.NET, I would not accept that. If I asked for a calendar application and it referenced System.DateTime, well come the hell on.
A Whirring Bone-White Gleech

• fact-lord
  • Paid
  • I was in first place, you whore!

I AM ANGRY!

jack chick, March 12, 2018, 01:01:44 pm

The official explanation: He wants us to learn to code stuff ourselves and not just rely on external libraries to do everything for us.
The real reason probably: He doesn't want to have to check code he doesn't understand because it uses libraries he doesn't have the time or patience to read the documentation of because like all IBM employees he has a stick so far up his ass he doesn't even know how to read anything without the IBM logo on it. I bet even his turds are up to company policy.
Ambious, March 12, 2018, 05:13:08 pm

Also, it might be because it's a practical impossibility to grade projects if they might use any arbitrary external library, and require unique non-trivial set-up.  If you get 30 projects, and each project requires some external dependency--some other library, a database, a cloud service, god knows what--then setting all of those up on your computer will take you for-fucking-ever.  It might not even be possible in some cases, like if you need an API key or something!  And that's even more true if you're grading on a platform other than what the student worked on.

Having said that, my usual solution is to require students to do a demo of their projects in their presentation, that way I can see that it's built and run at least once without having to do whatever crazy dance would be required to build it on my computer.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 07:05:36 pm by A Whirring, Bone-White Gleech »

junior associate faguar

• Frankly, an unreasonable level of uguu~
  • Paid
I'm trying to do Google Summer of Code this year, and I eagerly await getting laughed at and told that I'm not good enough even for an "easy" difficulty problem, much less the one I really want to do.

Runic

• Is Putting A Donk On It
  • Paid
  • John Brown did nothing wrong
Python is fucking magic or something
Penultimatum

Ambious

Python is fucking magic or something
Runic, March 25, 2018, 01:21:18 am

The joke goes:
Someone: "You can't code in pseudocode!"
Python: "Hold my beer..."

• fact-lord
  • Paid
Tensorflow is so immensely frustrating.

I've been trying to build a Dataset from a generator.  This fails completely:
def get_random_tensors(count):
    for _ in range(count):
        yield tf.random_uniform((30, 1))

dset = tf.data.Dataset.from_generator(lambda: get_random_tensors(5000), tf.float32)

but this works correctly:
def get_random_tensors(count):
    for _ in range(count):
        yield np.random.uniform(-1.0, 1.0, (30,1))

dset = tf.data.Dataset.from_generator(get_random_tensors(5000), tf.float32)

I should have known I need to produce an actual numpy value immediately rather than a tensor, I guess.  Though why I have to wrap my generator expression in a lambda, I have no goddamned idea.  But my bigger complaint is, those two errors where super hard to figure out, because the error reports I got look like this:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "<ipython-input-49-1b94387c5bca>", line 1, in <module>
    runfile('/home/ /tensorflow_learning/dset race.py', wdir='/home/ /tensorflow_learning')

File "/home/ /tensorflow_learning/tflowv/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/spyder/utils/site/sitecustomize.py", line 705, in runfile
    execfile(filename, namespace)

File "/home/ /tensorflow_learning/tflowv/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/spyder/utils/site/sitecustomize.py", line 102, in execfile
    exec(compile(f.read(), filename, 'exec'), namespace)

File "/home/ /tensorflow_learning/dset race.py", line 32, in <module>
    sess.run(x_dset)

File "/home/ /tensorflow_learning/tflowv/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/tensorflow/python/client/session.py", line 900, in run
    run_metadata_ptr)

File "/home/ /tensorflow_learning/tflowv/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/tensorflow/python/client/session.py", line 1135, in _run
    feed_dict_tensor, options, run_metadata)

File "/home/ /tensorflow_learning/tflowv/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/tensorflow/python/client/session.py", line 1316, in _do_run
    run_metadata)

File "/home/ /tensorflow_learning/tflowv/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/tensorflow/python/client/session.py", line 1335, in _do_call
    raise type(e)(node_def, op, message)

InvalidArgumentError: ValueError: setting an array element with a sequence.
Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/home/ /tensorflow_learning/tflowv/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/tensorflow/python/ops/script_ops.py", line 157, in __call__
    ret = func(*args)

File "/home/ /tensorflow_learning/tflowv/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/tensorflow/python/data/ops/dataset_ops.py", line 391, in generator_py_func
    nest.flatten_up_to(output_types, values), flattened_types)

File "/home/ /tensorflow_learning/tflowv/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/tensorflow/python/data/ops/dataset_ops.py", line 390, in <listcomp>
    for ret, dtype in zip(

File "/home/ /tensorflow_learning/tflowv/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/tensorflow/python/ops/script_ops.py", line 124, in _convert
    result = np.asarray(value, dtype=dtype, order="C")

File "/home/ /tensorflow_learning/tflowv/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/numpy/core/numeric.py", line 492, in asarray
    return array(a, dtype, copy=False, order=order)

ValueError: setting an array element with a sequence.

[[Node: PyFunc = PyFunc[Tin=[DT_INT64], Tout=[DT_FLOAT], token="pyfunc_73"](arg0)]]
[[Node: IteratorGetNext_41 = IteratorGetNext[output_shapes=[<unknown>], output_types=[DT_FLOAT], _device="/job:localhost/replica:0/task:0/device:CPU:0"](Iterator_37)]]

I've learned a lesson about building software from Tesorflow today: test your inputs and throw your errors early, so you can give the user useful information about what they did, instead of shitting up like this.

Runic

• Is Putting A Donk On It
  • Paid
  • John Brown did nothing wrong
So in the course of researching machine learning, I have learned about the strange afterlife of Enron. Yes, that Enron. When the company got hit by the big fraud case, the government released 1.6 million emails relevant to the case. It turns out that that giant chunk of emails is actually really useful for machine learning research and even today I've found datasets based on it that are useful for my own projects.

What a world, eh?

• fact-lord
  • Paid
Once again, I'm writing a C++ program, and I just want to create an array, of length provided by a variable not known at compile time, that will have bounds-checking and that will be deleted when it goes out of scope.  And despite the insane profusion of containers and smart-types available in C++, none of them does that.

std::array doesn't, because its size is a template parameter, so it needs to be a compile-time constant.

std::vector doesn't, because it's not fixed-size.  Which I admit is picky on my part.

std::unique_ptr<int[]> doesn't, because it doesn't check the array bounds any more than a basic int[] does.

WHY THE FUCK IS THIS SUCH AN UNREASONABLE REQUEST.

Turtle

• [F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+]
  • Paid
WHY THE FUCK IS THIS SUCH AN UNREASONABLE REQUEST.A Whirring, Bone-White Gleech, July 26, 2018, 05:54:54 am
I'm only familiar with C++ at a cursory level, but I think I've figured something out, let me know what you think

int variableArraySize;

std:array<int, 1> array1;
    std:array<int, 2> array2;
    std:array<int, 3> array3;
    std:array<int, 1000> array1000;

int elementAt(int arraySize, int index) {
        switch(arraySize) {
            case 1: return array1[index];
            case 2: return array2[index];
            case 1000: return array1000[index];
        }
    }

iterator begin(int arraySize) {
        switch(arraySize) {
            case 1: return array1.begin();
            case 2: return array2.begin();
            case 1000: return array1000.begin();
        }
    }

Emperor Jack Chick

• he/him
  • Ridiculist
  • Metal tyrant from hell
WHY THE FUCK IS THIS SUCH AN UNREASONABLE REQUEST.A Whirring, Bone-White Gleech, July 26, 2018, 05:54:54 am
I'm only familiar with C++ at a cursory level, but I think I've figured something out, let me know what you think

int variableArraySize;

switch(arraySize) {
        }
    }

switch(arraySize) {
        }
    }
Turtle, July 26, 2018, 04:26:06 pm

lol

• fact-lord
  • Paid

int variableArraySize;

switch(arraySize) {
        }
    }

switch(arraySize) {
        }
    }
Turtle, July 26, 2018, 04:26:06 pm

I think we've got something here, let's see if we can get this into boost.