Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:40:25 pm

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Movies We've Seen Recently  (Read 203223 times)

Mr. Hunky Academia

• MUSCLE HEDONIST
  • Paid
  • The only thing I'm good at is go away
Movies We've Seen Recently #555
Watched Mandy (2018) and Fateful Findings (2013) back to back over new years and my brain has never been more powerful.
Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop

moooo566 (taylor's version)

• Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #556
Bumblebee is way better than I was expecting. I know the transformers franchise up until this point hasn't set the bar particularly high (Age of Extinction is genuinely repugnant at every turn and by far the worst film I've ever seen, and apparently the next one is somehow even worse than that?), but I'm struggling to come up with anything much I didn't like about Bumblebee. They've torn out all the shitty juvenile humour and pandering and kept the juvenile action sequences (I think having fewer robots helps a lot, it's much more streamlined and easy to follow), the characters are pretty much all well likeable, the story (mostly) makes sense, and the soundtrack is fantastic - the main draw is all the 80s classics but I even like Hailee Steinfeld's contribution and I'm not too into her music (her acting is okay though!).

It's hardly a masterpiece, but if you've been wanting a film about giant robots fighting each other it totally nails that without any of the sins of it's predecessors, and is well worth your time.

Nikaer Drekin

• One-Man Nic Cage Fan Club
  • Paid
  • "My burrito is a big deal"
Movies We've Seen Recently #557
Bumblebee is way better than I was expecting. I know the transformers franchise up until this point hasn't set the bar particularly high (Age of Extinction is genuinely repugnant at every turn and by far the worst film I've ever seen, and apparently the next one is somehow even worse than that?), but I'm struggling to come up with anything much I didn't like about Bumblebee. They've torn out all the shitty juvenile humour and pandering and kept the juvenile action sequences (I think having fewer robots helps a lot, it's much more streamlined and easy to follow), the characters are pretty much all well likeable, the story (mostly) makes sense, and the soundtrack is fantastic - the main draw is all the 80s classics but I even like Hailee Steinfeld's contribution and I'm not too into her music (her acting is okay though!).

It's hardly a masterpiece, but if you've been wanting a film about giant robots fighting each other it totally nails that without any of the sins of it's predecessors, and is well worth your time.
boooo566, January 01, 2019, 02:01:23 pm

I'm hoping to catch Bumblebee at some point, it looks genuinely good! But I'll challenge you on one thing: The third Transformers movie, Dark of the Moon, is by far the worst one, because it's the one that's packed full of Michael Bay's excruciating attempts at improv comedy bits. It also commits the (in my eyes) major crime of casting Frances McDormand and John Malkovich and having them do absolute shit. Don't get me wrong, Age of Extinction is extremely bad, but I'd rather watch that again than sit through a minute of Dark of the Moon.

Turtle

• [F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+][F+]
  • Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #558
Watched Mandy (2018)
Mr. Hunky Academia, January 01, 2019, 06:46:08 am
So did I.

Watch Mandy. Fuck, watch Mandy.
Mr. Hunky Academia Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop

Mr. Hunky Academia

• MUSCLE HEDONIST
  • Paid
  • The only thing I'm good at is go away
Movies We've Seen Recently #559
Watched Mandy (2018)
Mr. Hunky Academia, January 01, 2019, 06:46:08 am
So did I.

Watch Mandy. Fuck, watch Mandy.
Turtle, January 02, 2019, 10:18:03 pm

Don't read or look up anything about Mandy. Just watch Mandy.

NutshellGulag

• Monkey Bacon
  • Ridiculist
  • My cat? Let me tell you about my cat...
Movies We've Seen Recently #560
I watched The Meg. It was pretty dumb but fun.

Jack Burden

• Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #561
I just watched Ready Player One and actually tried to like it even though it is very much Not For Me (I probably recognized about 10% of the things that were obviously from something else). Anyway, I couldn't manage to enjoy it on any level but I kept watching even though I didn't have to, so I guess that's something.

Anyway, main reason I bring it up is something that occurred to me about halfway through is how much fun it would be to tell that exact story, but instead of it being an 80s pop-culture obsessed game designer whose puzzles our characters had to solve, what it if was the Dozerfleet founder? The whole thing would take place in a virtual world reflecting his values and obsessions, populated with Stationery Voyagers and Trapezoid Kids. I'd watch the shit out of that.
GirlKisser420 Mr. Hunky Academia RoeCocoa Dr. Buttplug . Detective Popcorn

moooo566 (taylor's version)

• Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #562
I'm hoping to catch Bumblebee at some point, it looks genuinely good! But I'll challenge you on one thing: The third Transformers movie, Dark of the Moon, is by far the worst one, because it's the one that's packed full of Michael Bay's excruciating attempts at improv comedy bits. It also commits the (in my eyes) major crime of casting Frances McDormand and John Malkovich and having them do absolute shit. Don't get me wrong, Age of Extinction is extremely bad, but I'd rather watch that again than sit through a minute of Dark of the Moon.
Nikaer Drekin, January 02, 2019, 05:19:44 pm

Maybe I need to rewatch Dark of the Moon (and also see #5 for comparison), because my main memory is that it was too much stupid bullshit nonsense even for sixteen year old me, but I just don't remember fucking hating every moment of it. Age of Extinction is very clear in my mind. I just refuse to believe that any film could possibly be worse than one that contains a scene where a man presented as a hero pulls a laminated card with the text of a Romeo and Juliet law to explain why it's totally okay for him to have sex with the seventeen year old (who the audience is also supposed to want to fuck), and the film reacting by having the bigger better hero (the seventeen year old's dad) just kind of drop the whole thing after spending the first hour getting angry about it. Also, everyone involve forgot how to write and how to act, and I just checked and it lasts eight minutes longer than Dark of the Moon so on that basis alone it's eight minutes worse.

So it's relevant to the thread, Aquaman is a very okay movie. Above average for a DC thing, but it isn't exactly standing out in a sea of Marvel.
Nikaer Drekin

Spenny

• coolest guy
  • Paid
  • piss itself
Movies We've Seen Recently #563
Saw the new animated Spiderman movie. It's visually stunning, absolutely beautiful, and the characters are all really enjoyable to watch. It didn't feel overcrowded which was a nice surprise. I really can't say enough about the animation tho. How they managed to tie everything together is beyond me but it was so amazing, and I was awestruck the entire time. Lots of integration of classic comic book style and whatnot, little sound effect words that pop up with actions... so cute. 10/10 genuinely the only superhero movie I not only enjoyed but actually think is GOOD and would recommend to anybody.
beelzeboob, December 21, 2018, 03:08:47 pm

Seconded. Saw it this afternoon. Spider-Verse is an amazing movie. I loved it so much.

chai tea latte

• TheftBot is, simply put, a fully sentient robot for stealing automatic teller machines
  • Paid
  • (ATMs) from nearby convenience stores.
Movies We've Seen Recently #564
Bird Box was cool. Lots of interesting spins on the zombie formula without any zombies. Smart horror can be okay but it's rarely great imo

Dr. Buttplug

• Formerly Jackal Flapnasty
  • Paid
  • Legendary Jizz-Wailer
Movies We've Seen Recently #565
Pet Semetary is better than people give it credit for. The child acting kinda sucks, but they really go for it with the bummer ending I mean holy shit! Theres none of that saccharine true love finds a way bullshit in other Stephen King and big budget horror films. The atmosphere is effective enough that despite reading a synopsis years ago hearing all the pop culture references and the song of the same name, i still got creeped out from just the feel of it. I'm not gonna say it's high art but if this had come out now it would have been a stand out example of the genre.

Comparing it to other films of the 80s I could see why people might consider it a low point.

Anyway now I feel like I can listen to IDEOTV trash the book. Now that i know it won't "sour" me on the film.

Edit: ended up being a double feature. Watched the Psycho-Pass movie. Not much to say. Not as good as the show, but if you liked the show it's worth watching.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 08:09:04 pm by Dr. Buttplug »

Spenny

• coolest guy
  • Paid
  • piss itself
Movies We've Seen Recently #566
The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part is great. Take my opinion with a grain of salt given that I'm a lifelong LEGO fan, but holy crap this movie was so much fun. I'm sad it kind of crashed financially, but I can kind of see why. The Lego Movie 1 was this kind of out of nowhere phenomenon that just struck all kinds of joy that I didn't know I could experience, and the two spinoffs were very fun little side stories, but any direct sequel would naturally require so much focus on plot instead of spectacle that it only makes sense that the magic would wear off. You know the LEGO Movie Universe's business, you know the main characters, so instead of having the inherent bonus of being this beautifully built surprise spectacle, this one is mostly just about what these characters get into this time.

Not to say it isn't positively amazingly beautiful, I love seeing this fully LEGO built world once again (though I'm still not 100% clear on the water in the Queen's intro song. Is it brick built? I couldn't quite tell.*) This really relieved me after watching the LEGO Ninjago Movie which unfortunately featured some real world sand, grass, water, etc. Although, in hindsight, (I'm going off the rails) those might make sense given the timeline established in this movie. But that is a bit much. My other (minor) complaints were the absence and semi-absence of 2 characters from the first one, the semi absence being more excusable thanks to a joke in the credits. The other one, though, really felt a bit lost. I've been googling it, and I can't find any reason that these two wouldn't return to their significant roles. Come on, Morgan Freeman. What are you even up to these days?

Overall, it's still the second best movie in the LEGO-verse. The ranking being LM1, LM2, Ninjago (a series I don't even like), Batman (a series I adore). My DMs are open. Justin Theroux HEAVILY carried the LEGO Ninjago movie.

Detective Popcorn
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 02:41:12 am by Spenny »

chai tea latte

• TheftBot is, simply put, a fully sentient robot for stealing automatic teller machines
  • Paid
  • (ATMs) from nearby convenience stores.
Movies We've Seen Recently #567
Museo - a thrilling museum heist movie from Mexico starring gael garcia bernal, who smoulders perfectly. simultaneously an incomplete portrait of a real heist (deliberately incomplete, but still frustratingly so) and a meditation on the idea of 'originality', reproduction, and whether or not anybody cares either way. 4.5 stars
the spider verse movie - good fun, real pretty, big ups to the animators. 3 stars
Free Solo - alex hannold is a space alien of a man who needs to climb mountains to feel anything, and in this particularly dangerous niche of rock climbing, he's the best guy alive (everyone else who's made it a large part of their life died young). the movie does a great job of painting a portrait of the kind of man who becomes the best in the world at something, and it's sympathetic but correctly still dwells on how warped his personality is and how much more important his hobby is to him than anyone in his life. the footage is breathtaking; his conquest (climbing up the sheer face of El Capitan in Yosemite without safety equipment) has never been done in recorded history and may never be done again; his girlfriend seems nice and I'm happy for them. 4 stars
Capernaeum - saw this at the indie. the writer/director, nadine labaki, has done something spectacular here, and I hope this wins Best Foreign Film at the oscars, if only so that it sees a wider distribution. a 12 year old undocumented kid in Lebanon sues his parents for bringing him into a world he can't succeed at; he's serious and so very strong, and without the comic scenes scattered throughout the movie it might be too much to bear. an intensely moving portrait of hard lives without dignity and the struggle to make something, anything, of yourself in a world where that's systematically been denied you. the characters are vivid and real; the cast are not actors but people with similar lives to the characters they played (and they uniformly do a great job); there are moments of joy and redemption. 5 stars go see it thanks

Shell Game

• Showrunner of Extra Credit
  • Paid
  • Rex Morgan knows about Pretty Cure. Look it up.
Movies We've Seen Recently #568
Not a full movie, but I watched the Oscar Nominated Animated Shorts last night. They were all cute, but I think my favorite overall, for both theme and art, was Weekends.

sambair

• Paid
Movies We've Seen Recently #569
Finally watched Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, I think this might be the best 3D animated movie I've ever seen, although that's kind of a messy distinction. It's like someone saw what Ang Lee was attempting with The Hulk, but actually succeeded.

edit: Watched Mandy today, it met or exceeded all expectations, thank you all for the recommendation.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 08:07:56 pm by sambair »