Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:57:42 pm

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: I want to cause physical harm to Wayne LaPierre.  (Read 39965 times)

montrith

• Petrodactyl Spotter
  • Internaut
  • You must be this tall to ride
My ass is not boring!

Acierocolotl

• Romance Supremacist
  • Ridiculist
  • You will be romanticized
My ass is not boring!
montrith, April 04, 2013, 11:12:38 am

I'll be the judge of that.

Wait.  How can I make this creepier?

Runic

• Is Putting A Donk On It
  • Paid
  • John Brown did nothing wrong
Fuck that
Can't we all just get along?
Victor Laszlo, April 04, 2013, 08:50:31 am

Christ, I hope not. We're only on page 4 of this thread and already you're running out of vitriol? I started this thread for a reason, goddamn it. Get back in there.
Lemon, April 04, 2013, 09:42:50 am
Seriously, nobody has even been compared to Hitler yet.

Psammetichus

• ᕕ(⊙ω⊙)ᕗ
  • Paid
  • O damn'd Sonic! O inhuman hog!
I used to get really involved in these gun debates, but then I realized nothing will change anyway and we're forever stuck in the cycle of mass shooting leading to half-hearted attempts at gun control that eventually die out once we loose intere— hey, did you guys hear about the Rutgers coach? Oh man!

"wake up america" ~ron paul.

chai tea latte

• TheftBot is, simply put, a fully sentient robot for stealing automatic teller machines
  • Paid
  • (ATMs) from nearby convenience stores.
I'd be a lot happier if we just didn't have guns, but hey - we do! That cat isn't going back in the bag (because it is heavily armed and contrarian). I've gone shooting twice, both times on invitations from friends (it turns out a local range has ladies' days every wednesday, and all I had to pay for was ammo, which was nice). I guess it was sort of fun? Civilian access to shooting ranges weirds me out, honestly. I understand the rationale for police and military to use them, I guess, but I'm still a bit weirded out by the idea that people can just go and practice shooting things. Honestly, the thought of owning a gun terrifies me, because I know I'm not someone who could be a responsible gun owner (which I guess I've a bit of a high bar for).

I don't like guns. I really don't. I enjoyed my times at the range, because I got to get a better picture of what it was like to shoot a gun and to do that sort of thing, and I like spending time with my friends. But I did enjoy myself, which for a while had me questioning some things I believed about 'gun people'. I still don't like guns, but I understand why some people do.

And then I remember things like the per capita gun deaths in Canada and the US, the latter of which is like four or five times the former. That seems messed up to me, and says there's something going on with that that's not just a reflection of per capita ownership rates (3 guns per ten canadians, nine per ten americans).

I just don't like guns okay, they really really really scare me.

Isfahan

• Ask me about AKs.
  • Ridiculist
  • Trouble with customers? Isfahano cares.
If we didn't have shooting ranges, where would some people shoot their guns? I live in a state that doesn't have enough public land to shoot safely out in the wilderness, and that's also the reason it's illegal to hunt deer here with a normal rifle—you have to use either a shotgun or a muzzle-loader.

It's fine to not like guns and to not enjoy shooting. I think you're quite nice to agree to an activity you're not crazy about just to spend more time doing stuff with your friends. My mother is scared of guns too.

One Of The Crappy Pokemon That Nobody Likes

• Oh no it's the "The-World-Owes-Me-A-Living Lads"!!
  • Ridiculist
  • RARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARR
If we didn't have shooting ranges, where would some people shoot their guns? I live in a state that doesn't have enough public land to shoot safely out in the wilderness, and that's also the reason it's illegal to hunt deer here with a normal rifle—you have to use either a shotgun or a muzzle-loader.

It's fine to not like guns and to not enjoy shooting. I think you're quite nice to agree to an activity you're not crazy about just to spend more time doing stuff with your friends. My mother is scared of guns too.
Isfahan, April 05, 2013, 04:50:27 am

This makes it sound like you dragged her to a shooting range yourself.

... you did, didn't you.

chai tea latte

• TheftBot is, simply put, a fully sentient robot for stealing automatic teller machines
  • Paid
  • (ATMs) from nearby convenience stores.

Isfahan, April 05, 2013, 04:50:27 am

Well, if I'd my druthers, they wouldn't. But I don't, and so ranges fill that purpose nicely.

Also, I'd be worried about people who weren't scared of guns! They're scary things.

Isfahan

• Ask me about AKs.
  • Ridiculist
  • Trouble with customers? Isfahano cares.
This makes it sound like you dragged her to a shooting range yourself.

... you did, didn't you.
portaxx, April 05, 2013, 04:56:28 am

Nope! She just decided long ago that she didn't like guns. No specific reason, no traumatizing event or bad experience, just that guns are a thing Other People Who Live Far Away are into. She's never even fired a gun, a fact she's made clear to me several times. At this point, if I asked her if she wanted to go to a shooting range with me, her first assumption would be that I was teasing her.

Well, if I'd my druthers, they wouldn't. But I don't, and so ranges fill that purpose nicely.kal-elk, April 05, 2013, 05:49:54 am

If you had your druthers, I wouldn't be going to the range either:

I'd be a lot happier if we just didn't have guns

Said so yourself.

Also, I'd be worried about people who weren't scared of guns!

Just guns as objects? Worry about me, then. I'm not scared of guns. Nope. I am trained and educated in how to handle them. They hold few mysteries for me.

Moriarty

• Paid
Also, I'd be worried about people who weren't scared of guns! They're scary things.
kal-elk, April 05, 2013, 05:49:54 am

Eh, I'm not scared of guns, and I've never fired one in my life. NRA nutjobs like Wayne LaPierre are disturbing, but not the guns themselves.

Now, knives, on the other hand -- those are scary.

Bunnybread

• You're welcome, genitals of the world.
  • Ridiculist
Worry about me, then.
Isfahan, April 05, 2013, 08:43:31 am

Oh we are, baby.  Trust me.  Probably not for the reasons you think, though.

montrith

• Petrodactyl Spotter
  • Internaut
  • You must be this tall to ride
kal-elk, April 05, 2013, 05:49:54 am

Eh, I'm not scared of guns, and I've never fired one in my life. NRA nutjobs like Wayne LaPierre are disturbing, but not the guns themselves.

Now, knives, on the other hand -- those are scary.
Moriarty, April 05, 2013, 09:35:25 am

RARARARARARSEEPORTAXXAVATAR

You can only get my knife when you pry it out of my cold, dead hands!

No, but seriously. Finland has a bit of a weird culture with knives. Like that it was completely normal when I got my first one when I was like 10 or something. Like the fact that we have a saying that goes "A wedding is not a wedding without a knife-fight". That in most villages there's that one guy who gets drunk and thinks stabbing someone would be a great idea, and everyone else is just like "Yeah, that's what you're going to get with that guy, don't go drinking with him". That several variants of our national dress have knives incorporated into them. It's not that we are particularly violent, it's just that you're gonna need that in the forest.

I couldn't find a pic of the exact type of puukko I have, but this is pretty close. Mine just has a slightly longer blade and a darker handle.

And if you're not into knives, there's always axes.

icarus

• orko in training
  • Paid
  • a very special episode
No, but seriously. Finland has a bit of a weird culture with knives. Like that it was completely normal when I got my first one when I was like 10 or something.
montrith, April 05, 2013, 01:12:54 pm

that's how it was in rural PA when i was growing up. it was pretty common to get your first swiss army knife or pen knife around 8 or 9 (only open it with permission, though!) and larger knives by 10 or 11. i still have a deer skinning knife my dad gave me back then, though it's incredibly dull now from years of being used to sharpen pencils.

really though all any of us 80s kids did with them was sharpen sticks and quote crocodile dundee

Acierocolotl

• Romance Supremacist
  • Ridiculist
  • You will be romanticized
I've got a rather basic knife myself--I really liked scouting and wilderness nonsense and it's not like Canada doesn't have a shortage of that sort of thing.  The knife was useful because it's very hard to punch tinder off sticks.

(Considering the Winter War, I'm happy to give the Finns lots of slack.)

Yossarian

• Sophisticated Sophistry
  • Paid
  • No one tell Hitler!
Rural Michigan here, and everyone has a knife all the time, in class, at work, in wallmart, everywhere and anywhere. I'm sitting in my dorm here with two utility knives in my desk and another two little swiss army knives somewhere or other with my tools. Michigan packs heat (or whatever is legal) all the time.