Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:47:33 am

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Episode 200a: Retrospective | Part 1  (Read 37053 times)

Old_Zircon

• The phased-out byzantine devil.
  • Paid
Episode 200a: Retrospective | Part 1 #30
Interesting that the Prime Directive came up as something specific to PoE back then, because from what I know of SA now, they're pretty big on their own version of it,
EYE OF ZA, January 18, 2016, 01:50:59 pm

At least as I experienced it at the time, back in the pre Poe-News era of PoE (so up until somewhere around the start of the second Bush term) SA was more like 4chan/ED at their peak, and PoE was a bit more like SA is now.  I never really spent much time on SA but if I'm not mistaken, weren't the early years of /b/'s culture mostly because that's where people who were banned from SA migrated to as SA moved away from its trolling roots?  When it first started to get big I used to hear that it was founded by "people from FYAD who were banned for being pedophiles."

Old_Zircon

• Paid
Episode 200a: Retrospective | Part 1 #31

In the episode, you guys kind of touched on the 'why is this interesting' and I think it's because there's a dumb creativity to terrible internet that's fascinating.  That's why it doesn't matter so much if things are an act or not, because either way, they're tapping into that raw, dumb, idea-generation part of the brain that goes GARFIELD RIDING MOTORCYCLE or PUT A WATCH ON MY DICK or STATIONERY VOYAGERS.
EYE OF ZA, January 18, 2016, 01:50:59 pm

That's a pretty great observation.  I hate to use the word "authenticity" but I think it's a pretty appropriate term for what happens when people who lack the self-awareness/intellignece/social awareness to self-censor are set loose the way they are on the Internet.  It's kind of the same reason I usually find completely incompetent creative work more unironically compelling than a lot of "good" art, music, cinema, writing, whatever: they often accidentally transcend the medium in a way that competence and awareness of the audience and the orthodoxies of the form usually can't (except for the real masterworks).

Sherman Tank

• Licensed Kadir-Buxton Method Practitioner
  • Associate Tag Director, East
  • I'm over 30 years old and I like fried chicken.
Episode 200a: Retrospective | Part 1 #32
Oh my fucking god all of this TF2 nostalgia is going to crush me.

Can we get a TF2 server? Maybe with all of the terrible cash shop items disabled, just stock weapons and the 2009-ish-era achievement unlock items left in?
Gyro, January 18, 2016, 09:41:38 am

I'll get the TF2 server back up and running, probably with all of my old mods.

We'll schedule a time to play.
Boots Raingear, January 18, 2016, 11:14:40 am

Yay Boots!

Cyberventurer

• Smoke-Free
  • Paid
Episode 200a: Retrospective | Part 1 #33
My first episode was the one about love dolls.  I checked out a thread about it on SA, spent about 2 minutes skimming the last page and quickly lost interest, but apparently at some point I had downloaded some random link that I planned on checking out later and forgot about.  I didn't get around to listening to it so it sat untouched for a couple of weeks, until I was deleting old files off of my computer and saw dollfuckers.mp3.  I must have listened to it half a dozen times before it dawned on me that I should try googling for "F Plus", which was up to episode 32 at the time and had that long hiatus between episodes.  I remember thinking the podcast died off from lack of interest and was really bummed out.

Maybe my standards for what's funny are a little low but I think you guys are too hard on yourselves over the older episodes.  They may not be as high quality as the newer stuff (especially microphone noise) but I think most of the old jokes and stuff are still enjoyable.

eldritchhat

• Lady of Calamaris
  • Paid
  • Card Carrying Boobgeoisie
Episode 200a: Retrospective | Part 1 #34
I actually found the F Plus just by randomly searching iTunes, cause at that point I was only listening to the 'Super Best Friendcast' and the 'Giant Bombcast,' and I wanted to expand my repertoire. I was really into [ghost] creepypasta [ghost] for like three years then, and I often listened to readings of them from some dork named mr.creepypasta, so I was really excited when I found episode 68.

I don't know if I was more hooked when Portaxx said 'Jacques Scarrida,' or when they read 'day of all the blood.' Either way, it's still one of my favorite episodes.

Besides that, and a few other examples, I'm mostly like Lemon in that I discover the things I like by back-tracing references from other things I like. Before this podcast, I was a fan of MST3K, and hadn't done much atrocity tourism. I'd dabbled in it a little bit, with my best friend and I just searching weird shit on google, but I was never on POE because I am way too young for that. In fact, Ballp.it is the first forum I have ever been on, and I suppose that's appropriate, as it's the forum for my favorite podcast.

Also, I wonder how many people actually made STOG's rendition of 'PARTY PARTY PARTY' their ringtone? I ripped it using garageband, and I still wake up to his sensuous voice every morning.

LINDA

• the 49th unbreakable gstring
  • Paid
Episode 200a: Retrospective | Part 1 #35
My first episode was adult babies, sent to me by a friend. (though the current episode at the time was 126) We are still friends and I'm still here, so that worked out.

Aljonso

• It was all a trick. I deceived you.
  • Paid
Episode 200a: Retrospective | Part 1 #36
I don't remember exactly how I found this place, but I do remember my first episode being Dozerfleet. I remember being completely floored about the likes of the AIDS lick and how this guy could make an entire wiki out of nothing. I would put more episodes on in the background of XCOM and Borderlands, and I now have very strange mental connection of certain levels with specific moments in certain episodes (I can't think about Baron Flynt without thinking of "Fucking the Car Hot", or more recently, I can't play Moray Towers without thinking of the first time I heard "Are Enough Man").

Whenever I would see an episode and think, "That looks really gross, I probably shouldn't listen to this one, but eh, what the hell," I'm usually very glad I listened, and it turns up being one of my favorite episodes. Wedgie and F-list have so many moments I love. The only time I really regretted it was with dickbugs, and even then it's only because of the maggots. I guess I just have a high tolerance for internet stupid and gross.

But the thing I like the most about this podcast comes from what Lemon mentioned about Chris-Chan. Sonichu is still just as stupidly hilarious as ever, but I can't help but look at this continued meddling with Chris's personal life with disgust, and it's clear that all the people that corresponded with Chris have kept us from more issues of Sonichu. I'm really thankful that this place isn't the full-on bully cesspool KiwiFarms is, and for whatever you've done to keep Ballp.it from becoming that. In a way, I'm really glad Fplus is the size that it is. Just large enough to noticeable, and just small enough to keep out of view of 99% of its subjects.

So, yeah, thanks for the 200 episodes, here's to another 200.

Sherman Tank

• Licensed Kadir-Buxton Method Practitioner
  • Associate Tag Director, East
  • I'm over 30 years old and I like fried chicken.
Episode 200a: Retrospective | Part 1 #37
I don't even remember what my first episode was, I just remember it was one of those subjects like Dozerfleet or Malatora that first surfaced on the Something Awful forums and ended up being an F Plus subject because of the odd cross-pollination that happens between the two.

Also I have a real soft spot in my heart for Episode 1. It reminds me of the KTMA episodes of MST3K, and I say this as a compliment because I love those too, because it's all rough and half-baked but you can see the brilliance of the idea. Also "Adonis eats tampons" will never not be funny. That's probably the reason I went through all the trouble of editing this old clip cover to make the cover art:

Old_Zircon

• Paid
Episode 200a: Retrospective | Part 1 #38
Maybe my standards for what's funny are a little low but I think you guys are too hard on yourselves over the older episodes.  They may not be as high quality as the newer stuff (especially microphone noise) but I think most of the old jokes and stuff are still enjoyable.
Cyberventurer, January 18, 2016, 05:20:18 pm

I actually agree, there are a few slow parts early on but I usually like the early episodes quite a bit. 

QueenSyreen

• Unsurprised, yet Disappointed
  • Paid
  • very very strongly pro-vaxx
Episode 200a: Retrospective | Part 1 #39
I already know that I will not be able to listen tot he acne episode, goodbye.

I've been listening to the F Plus for Too Long now. The reason I even found it... the story is long, but I'll summarize it by saying that since age Ridiculous I have been a fan of literally everything Zarla Sheenaza can possibly output. I enjoy her existence and what comes out of it. But I never listened to and still usually don't listen to podcasts, because listening to one only takes up half my brainspace and I get twitchy and have to do something with my hands and trainwreck. So when Zarla would occasionally mention a podcast in her journal, something about readings from the internet? Whatever? I didn't pay attention. Not my thing. Draw something gay again.

But then there was this weird thing she made. Like, ten seconds of animation. It's so many years back that I'll never find it to link it. There's a guy getting his haircut, a few seconds of that, and then the sound of running footsteps and stick figure man who is fucking bugging out runs screaming into the room and bellows IWASWONDERINGIFTHEREWASAFANFIUCTIONWHEREJAREDWASADOGPERSONANDJENSENWASACATPERSONANDSOMEHOWTHISISACOMPLICATIONINTHEIRRELATIONSHIP???? And everyone looks at each other for a second and then the guy slams the door and continues running. End scene.

I tried to not know, honestly. I tried to stay away. Maybe, deep inside, I knew what would happen. I knew this could have only come form something fucking stupid. But I had to fucking know. I had to fucking know. What the hell even inspired this thing? What is he yelling? Whose relationship? Wait... let me listen again... fanfiction... dog... relationship... what is happening here?

Long story short, I now know what was happening there.

((ETA It occured to me after the fact that I was looking for that animation clip from the wrong angle. Sure, it's probably in the depths of the ongoing pile of silly art Zarla puts on the internet but it's also easy to find on the fplus's very website, because why wouldn't it be? http://thefpl.us/episode/45

Also, episode fourty fucking five? yikes.))

Anyway. Jesus, I had no idea how much I missed "penises want to bleed. it is their natural state" until I heard that quote again. Precious. Classic. I like how there was a "wow, Bunnybread" section to that retrospective that was about 10 minutes long, and he wasn't even there.

When I introduce people to the f plus, and yes, that has happened several times, depending on whether the could be said to spend a lot of time 'shipping' or not, I start them with the Supernatural ep, just like how I started, or start them with the Clingfilm episode if they don't spend enough time on archive of our own to just say 'oh ha ha ha some omegaverse ha ha ha right' when it comes up.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 08:57:45 pm by QueenSyreen »

Cleretic

• Russian Roulette Silver Medalist
  • Paid
Episode 200a: Retrospective | Part 1 #40
My first episode was the Troper Tales episode, because I came from SA in the PYF-era of atrocity tourism. As I recall, a lot of it started with a Fandom Secrets thread that spun off of a Chip and Ironicus LP, and from there a TV Tropes thread happened, and from there the F Plus episode happened. I still can't listen to the Troper Tales episode because the content is just so horribly awkward, though, and I think if my second episode wasn't Roy Orbison Completely Covered In Cling Film I wouldn't have kept going.

I didn't get into atrocity tourism from MST3K, though, which seems to be a bit of a minority situation here; it just never aired in Australia in a way that I would've caught it. My first brush with atrocity tourism was on a short-lived standup show that aired late at night for a while, where one comedian (Charlie Pickering, who's gone on to do a few Daily Show-style news comedy shows) did his entire set about reading and making fun of B.B. King's autobiography. Mainly a chapter entirely devoted to strangely detailed and disgusting descriptions of his issues with his foreskin.

goombapolice

• a muscular, cum producing MONSTER
  • Paid
Episode 200a: Retrospective | Part 1 #41
I just want to say: Thank you for making this podcast. Thank you to everyone involved in every step.

Old_Zircon

• Paid
Episode 200a: Retrospective | Part 1 #42
I still can't listen to the Troper Tales episode because the content is just so horribly awkward
Cleretic, January 18, 2016, 08:28:05 pm

I have a similar problem, except for me I can't listen to it because I've already listened to it more than almost any other episode.

QueenSyreen

• Unsurprised, yet Disappointed
  • Paid
  • very very strongly pro-vaxx
Episode 200a: Retrospective | Part 1 #43
Also are you going to find a way to put montrith in the next one? The existence of montrith is an important part of the fplus history, present, and future
AlbieQuirky

Emperor Jack Chick

• he/him
  • Ridiculist
  • Metal tyrant from hell
Episode 200a: Retrospective | Part 1 #44
hey that reminds me did zarla ever read my shadowrun book?
One Of The Crappy Pokemon That Nobody Likes