Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:39:07 pm

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: If we're really quiet, maybe they won't notice that we're talking about ANIME  (Read 165038 times)

Mister Smalls

• Steampunk Evita original cast member
  • Paid
This entire topic:
Bobalay Ms Dragoness

crow

• Paid
  • get smoked
This entire topic:

Mister Smalls, July 07, 2014, 08:13:07 pm

i will fuckin kill u m8

Fatty Bo Batty

• Adult Baby Protective Services Officer
  • Paid
  • Is good to make a posting
This entire topic:

That's what makes it beautiful.

FartRomancer.exe

• Paid
  • never sold coke and i never had to hold a pistol
This entire topic:

I'm the snack table guy.

Fatty Bo Batty

• Paid
Not technically anime, but I'm really happy that Kentaro Miura finally started writing and drawing Berserk again.

chai tea latte

• TheftBot is, simply put, a fully sentient robot for stealing automatic teller machines
  • Paid
  • (ATMs) from nearby convenience stores.

this show is kind of weird and I clearly don't fully understand Japan's cultural relationship with Germany, but it's super-cute and I'm enjoying it so far.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 10:21:27 pm by kal-elk »

crow

• Paid
  • get smoked

this show is kind of weird and I clearly don't fully understand Japan's cultural relationship with Germany, but it's super-cute and I'm enjoying it so far.
kal-elk, July 07, 2014, 10:18:45 pm

What's there to get?  Tanks own, and cute things own

Like, if you're a war nut, it doesn't matter how crazy the Nazis were.  My dad used to gush about Rommel and Patton's battles in the desert when I was a kid and there was nothing wrong with that

chai tea latte

• TheftBot is, simply put, a fully sentient robot for stealing automatic teller machines
  • Paid
  • (ATMs) from nearby convenience stores.

Like, if you're a war nut, it doesn't matter how crazy the Nazis were.  My dad used to gush about Rommel and Patton's battles in the desert when I was a kid and there was nothing wrong with that
Smoking Crow, July 07, 2014, 11:07:19 pm

mm, okay

mostly i'm not sure how serious the backstory is, and why tankery even exists. you're right though it's super cute and i'm really liking it!!!

crow

• Paid
  • get smoked

Smoking Crow, July 07, 2014, 11:07:19 pm

mm, okay

mostly i'm not sure how serious the backstory is, and why tankery even exists. you're right though it's super cute and i'm really liking it!!!
kal-elk, July 07, 2014, 11:13:01 pm

there is a backstory and they tell you about it in the dvd extras of the series dvd

oh, and in case you're wondering the reason why only little girls can drive tanks is because tankery is a woman's sport

last thing, episode eight has a scene cut out of it so when you get there make sure you watch this

Sherlockian

• Library handwriting. Indexing. Abstracting. Alphabetizing. Filing.
  • Paid
  • File under Z695.95 S54
I'm going to go on record as really enjoying the first episode of "Samurai Jam- Bakumatsu ROCK" because it's truly ridiculous and awful and hilarious. The Shinsengumi reimagined as an idol group, and the guys who worked to topple the Tokugawa Shogunate as rockers out to overtake them as the TOP IDOLS. Including hilarious transformation sequences and a lot of shirtless scenes and it's basically just totally OTT.

I like shit TV, I'll admit.

As for "animes that are important in the scheme of anime", try some HunterxHunter. The current anime series is really good and well paced and a lot of fun, but the manga and original version of the anime were out at the same time as Sailor Moon. It's one of the series that form the basis for later shounen shows, like Naruto and Bleach.

crow

• Paid
  • get smoked
I'm going to go on record as really enjoying the first episode of "Samurai Jam- Bakumatsu ROCK" because it's truly ridiculous and awful and hilarious. The Shinsengumi reimagined as an idol group, and the guys who worked to topple the Tokugawa Shogunate as rockers out to overtake them as the TOP IDOLS. Including hilarious transformation sequences and a lot of shirtless scenes and it's basically just totally OTT.

I like shit TV, I'll admit.

As for "animes that are important in the scheme of anime", try some HunterxHunter. The current anime series is really good and well paced and a lot of fun, but the manga and original version of the anime were out at the same time as Sailor Moon. It's one of the series that form the basis for later shounen shows, like Naruto and Bleach.
sherlockian, July 07, 2014, 11:26:17 pm

HunterxHunter is by the Yu Yu Hakusho guy and it isn't as good as YYH.

Tiny Prancer

• Tiny and angry
  • Paid
  • please be more respectable to physics
fun fact he and the sailor moon lady are married

For a recent series, an anime adaption of a manga I really like just started, called Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun. Basically, girl likes guy, girl tries to confess to guy, guy is so dense that he takes her confession as her saying she's a fan of the popular shojo manga that no one in school knows he draws (no one believed him when he told them), girl gets roped into helping him make his manga. It's fucking hilarious both in terms of how incredibly clueless the guy is about romance despite WRITING AND DRAWING A ROMANCE MANGA (two people riding on a one-seater bike is illegal, so he tries to evoke the same romantic elements by putting his characters on a tandem bike), and the jokes it makes about comics-making in general (no, you cannot have all your characters stand on boxes just because you drew them too tall)

also whoever is heading the anime is doing a great job because they're really pushing the slapstick elements of it

Sion

• Paid
I'm a little late to the party but hopefully I can still weeb out.

Top animus for myself are Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill.
I also liked Gatchaman CROWDS, which is one nobody here's probably heard about. Here's the "review" that convinced me to watch it.

It's like an action anime that constantly (or rather, usually) resolves problems without fighting. It's a weird take, but they manage to make it work. I'd recommend it.
There's also Cromartie High School, a comedy which features anime Freddy Mercury. It really does.

I've tried to watch really popular ones like Evangelion and Attack on Titan, but they seem to rely on gore/shock value. I've talked to a few people about Attack on Titan and we can all agree that the series got a little stupid when (the forum doesn't support spoiler text so this next part is in white, close enough) it was revealed that some humans can turn into Titans.

Oh, and for bad anime, I'd recommend No Game No Life. The summary should explain itself: "Sora and Shiro are unemployed and never leave their house, but on the net, they're known as "Blank", an invincible team of gamers. One day, these siblings are visited by a boy named Tet, who calls himself god. Tet summons them to a world where all war is banned, and everything is decided by games." They're a brother/sister duo, and the sister's definitely lolita. It's also got some direct videogame references, like Civilization for example.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 02:35:42 am by Sion »

A Meat

• Artificial Man Pop Seasoning
  • Paid
  • filled with delicious dude meat
I want everybody ever to watch Jojo so there's a chance they'll do the next parts too, because as hyped part 3 is, parts 4-6 are fucking incredible. (I'm halfway through part 7 and I'm not sure they can air it abroad if they make an anime out of it, it's that more crazy than parts 1-3)

Everyone watch Aku no Hana and quietly suffer, and then read the rest of the story in the manga and suffer some more, it has the best opening and ending themes in an anime.  (and then read the manga the author is currently making, Boku wa Mari no naka)

Just listen to this version of the ending theme

Everyone should probably watch Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo if you want some no strings attached Japanese comedy that may occasionally make sense.

If we're also mentioning things that might not actually be good, then watch Mirai Nikki, it's occasionally incredibly dumb, but what else can you expect from an anime about an eighth grader and his stalker competing in a deathmatch to become god. The first episode has my favorite single frame in all of anime, because that single frame produced some great baffling fan art.

Fatty Bo Batty

• Paid
If horror is more of your thing, the short OVA series Corpse Party: Tortured Souls is pretty damn horrifying. It was adapted from an indie game, and is only 4 episodes, so the pacing and storytelling can be a bit wonky at times. It's about a group of high school students that perform a "friendship" spell that will ensure they remain in contact forever, but something goes wrong and they end up trapped in the ghostly remains of Heavenly Host Elementary. Something inside the school lures people in, and the ghosts that stalk it's halls murder them in grotesquely brutal ways. When they die, their soul is trapped there, doomed to feel the same agony they felt at the moment of death for all eternity. They way it blends Japanese horror eeriness and tension with horrific violence is effective, and it was ridiculously creepy and disturbing for me.

Here's a trailer. (NSFW or the faint of heart due to crazy graphic violence)

Seriously, if a piece of media contains THIS dialogue and is still scary, its gotta be pretty fucking creepy.