Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:56:32 pm

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Joel's trying to raise $5.5 Million for a new season of MST3k  (Read 10998 times)

CormansInferno

• Forsooth! A ravenous ghoul approaches!
  • Paid
Apparently during the Summer Joel and Shout Factory wrestled the rights back from Best Brains and are now trying to crowdfund new episodes (on Kickstarter, of cuss). Here's the breakdown:

A lofty goal to be sure, but it went live today and they're nearly at $1 Million.

McMillan and Waifu

• Paid
  • ruining the black metal scene worldwide
Not gonna lie, I've already thrown money at this. Given the past history of MSTies overspending on promoting the show, it'd be a surprise if they don't at least hit their middle funding goals.

I'm curious about the all new cast aspect of this. It's supposedly Jonah Ray as the shadow host in the Kickstarter video, it wouldn't be terrible if he's the new Joel/Mike but I'm not sure he'd be my first choice. On the other hand, MST has a proud, rich tradition of swapping out everyone, so a third host/new Crow and Servo wouldn't necessarily be horrible. On the whole I'm maybe 10% cautious, 90% stupidly optimistic to see how this turns out.

Lemon

• Whatever happened to Freedom of Speech?
  • Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
I grew up loving Mystery Science Theatre, it's been a big part of my life.

I have no interest in this.

I still like Rifftrax though.

Nikaer Drekin

• One-Man Nic Cage Fan Club
  • Paid
  • "My burrito is a big deal"
Yeah, Rifftrax is really in its prime and is doing now what MST3K did so well back in its day. To me this seems... not bad, probably more superfluous than anything. I'll check it out if it ends up happening, but I doubt I'll end up backing it.

Sherman Tank

• Licensed Kadir-Buxton Method Practitioner
  • Associate Tag Director, East
  • I'm over 30 years old and I like fried chicken.
Well, Joel pulled in $5.7 million. With some additional non-Kickstarter funding, that's enough for 14 episodes, including a Christmas special.
chai tea latte CormansInferno

goombapolice

• a muscular, cum producing MONSTER
  • Paid
Fingers crossed these don't suck

STOG

• im baby
  • Ridiculist
  • thiis is bernie bro, to me
goombapolice, December 12, 2015, 04:51:24 am

Hoping these don't suck too, but Ernest Cline is joining the writing team at some point in the production, and I'd rather have a back tooth pulled than read "Ready Player One" past the four pages I read in the bookstore. So my spirits are kind of dampened, and it's looking like a "Wait until they release, then get hyped" thing.

Still.

Zekka

• I AM IN INTO MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS AND MANY METHODS USED IN THE STOCK MARKET
  • Paid

Hoping these don't suck too, but Ernest Cline is joining the writing team at some point in the production, and I'd rather have a back tooth pulled than read "Ready Player One" past the four pages I read in the bookstore. So my spirits are kind of dampened, and it's looking like a "Wait until they release, then get hyped" thing.

Still.
STOG, December 12, 2015, 10:09:23 am

They can just put him in charge of 80s and 90s references and then spend the rest of production time doing things that are funny instead.

Spacebat

• The Friedrich Nietzsche of Snuggling
  • Paid
I love MST3K but I'll be honest, when I went to the page and saw Felicia Day I just said "oh" and closed the tab.

EYE OF ZA

• some people's reactions such as the fuck,the hell,wtf, or what the hell
  • Paid
  • I have a problem and then I have another problem

Still.

I read like half way through Ready Player One and the only thing that Ernest Cline could write in that space in a somewhat enjoyable manner is the experience of playing a video game you're good at.

McMillan and Waifu

• Paid
  • ruining the black metal scene worldwide

Still.

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh

After seeing the heavy ambivalence towards this I thought "maybe it's best to not give this money up front." Since then it's just been a hit parade of The Internet's Favorite People (tm) getting involved and I'm regretting pulling out less and less.

goombapolice

• a muscular, cum producing MONSTER
  • Paid
It's really going to hurt to hear Servo do a Gangnam Style joke.
Maxine Headroom

Sherman Tank

• Licensed Kadir-Buxton Method Practitioner
  • Associate Tag Director, East
  • I'm over 30 years old and I like fried chicken.
Y'all are really negative about this. C'mon, don't be that kind of internet person.

Nikaer Drekin

• One-Man Nic Cage Fan Club
  • Paid
  • "My burrito is a big deal"
I would honestly kind of prefer it if they made new bots- I know, Crow's voice changed, but it's going to be super weird to hear a voice coming out of Tom Servo that isn't Kevin Murphy's.

strifeheart

• a mixture of gravity and waggery
  • Paid
Y'all are really negative about this. C'mon, don't be that kind of internet person.
Sherman Tank, December 13, 2015, 10:08:09 pm

if I was that kind of internet person they'd already have tapped me to write or do a cameo
Nikaer Drekin Lemon Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop Sherman Tank