Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:24:17 pm

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Joel's trying to raise $5.5 Million for a new season of MST3k  (Read 10997 times)

McMillan and Waifu

• Paid
  • ruining the black metal scene worldwide
I would honestly kind of prefer it if they made new bots- I know, Crow's voice changed, but it's going to be super weird to hear a voice coming out of Tom Servo that isn't Kevin Murphy's.
Nikaer Drekin, December 14, 2015, 12:27:29 am

I HATE TOM SERVO'S NEW VOICE
Sherman Tank I Liked That Joke

CormansInferno

• Forsooth! A ravenous ghoul approaches!
  • Paid
Y'all are really negative about this. C'mon, don't be that kind of internet person.
Sherman Tank, December 13, 2015, 10:08:09 pm

if I was that kind of internet person they'd already have tapped me to write or do a cameo
strifeheart, December 14, 2015, 01:43:56 am

To play Nerdball's advocate, a lot of the hiring makes sense. Patton Oswalt is a longtime MST3k fan and hosted the 20th Anniversary at Comic-Con. Joel has been friends with Jonah Ray since they met on the Nerdist podcast. Rebecca Sugar hired Joel as a voice actor on Steven Universe because of her own MST3k apperciation. Wayne White designed roughly half the puppets on Pee-Wee's Playhouse and has been working on projects with Joel since a few years ago. Hampton Yount and Baron Vaughn are really fucking funny and all we have to go off at this point are promo videos that were cut in a day or less. Ernest Cline and Felicia Day ... alright, I got nothin'. But still, it's not like Joel was brought a stack of headshots by a Nerdist intern, these are all relatively organic hires of people who are Joel's friends or were orginally inspired by the show. I think it's going to be pretty goddamn awesome. 

EYE OF ZA

• some people's reactions such as the fuck,the hell,wtf, or what the hell
  • Paid
  • I have a problem and then I have another problem
Counterpoint: I really hate Ernest Cline.
eldritchhat

CormansInferno

• Forsooth! A ravenous ghoul approaches!
  • Paid
At the latest Doug Benson Movie Interruption (basically a live MST3k-like experience Benson runs every month at my local arthouse) the new host and bots were cracking on Baby's Day Out. Joel knows exactly what he's doing, these guys are going to do the show right.

duz

• Paid
Well, the first episode is streaming today only for kickstarter backers as a preview for when the full season drops later this week.  It's just as good as it every was and is definitely worth the kickstarter money.
Dawnswalker

Ambious

inb4 Hardwick cameo

Dawnswalker

• Paid
Well, the first episode is streaming today only for kickstarter backers as a preview for when the full season drops later this week.  It's just as good as it every was and is definitely worth the kickstarter money.
duz, April 09, 2017, 10:12:13 am

I was wondering if the new cast and crew were going to take a while to find their stride, but they hit the ground running.

I was worried when one of the first things I heard about going in was that the sketches were bland, but I think the person complaining must have forgotten that most of the sketches in most of the original episodes were bland. It was fine! I'm looking forward to Tuesday (or Friday, when I can watch them on a nice big TV screen.)

Chaymie

• Paid
Two episodes in and I love season 11. Really glad I donated 85 bucks to get early streaming access, downloads of season 11, and downloads of 18 classic episodes. Honestly didn't know about the early access until last night, and originally the deal was 6 classic episodes. Hooray for kickstarter luck.

Sherman Tank

• Licensed Kadir-Buxton Method Practitioner
  • Associate Tag Director, East
  • I'm over 30 years old and I like fried chicken.
It took a couple episodes for the "I HATE TOM SERVO'S NEW VOICE" effect to wear off but I'm really enjoying it and I'm glad my name is in the credits of one of the episodes.

Dawnswalker

• Paid
The movies this season are still clearly bad, but they're actually watchable by general technical proficiency standards.

So I was actually flabbergasted when in AVALANCHE Rock Hudson lived until the end of the movie and received no ironic comeuppance for his sins (unless you count his mother dying I guess but who cares.) I demand my disaster movie cliches!

lazzer grardaion?

• Paid
This show is exactly what I wanted, and I'm absolutely thrilled.

Shell Game

• Probability of victory in Tarzan jump: 99.99%. Probability of sinking when landing on mudflat: 100%.
  • Paid
  • Captain, what should I do?
Thanks, guys, for reminding me to check this out. I love it! I feel like the new voices are just like adjusting to voices (and whole people) in the original run of MST3K so it doesn't even bother me. I watched the first episode and it was such a whimsical romp down riff lane.

Captain Nobeard

• Paid
I honestly couldn't get through the first episode. The pacing of the riffs felt a bit off, without giving each riff enough time to breath. It was like watching a movie with someone who keeps making unfunny comments at the screen and you want to just say "shh!". I'm not fully sold on the new mads or the new Gypsy.

But there's plenty of good things so far: Jonah seems to be a good host, the new voices for Crow and Servo are fine., and the movie choices are perfect.

I'm watching the second episode now and the riffing is a lot better. I think that they just needed to work out the kinks a bit, so I'm cautiously optimistic for the rest of the season.

Fatty Bo Batty

• Adult Baby Protective Services Officer
  • Paid
  • Is good to make a posting
I honestly couldn't get through the first episode. The pacing of the riffs felt a bit off, without giving each riff enough time to breath. It was like watching a movie with someone who keeps making unfunny comments at the screen and you want to just say "shh!". I'm not fully sold on the new mads or the new Gypsy.

But there's plenty of good things so far: Jonah seems to be a good host, the new voices for Crow and Servo are fine., and the movie choices are perfect.

I'm watching the second episode now and the riffing is a lot better. I think that they just needed to work out the kinks a bit, so I'm cautiously optimistic for the rest of the season.
Captain Nobeard, April 16, 2017, 05:53:27 am

Yeah, the riff pacing is really weird at times. It's clear that the writers are still getting used to writing riffs for movies. Also, I really dislike the opening. Otherwise, I think they've got a good start.

Dawnswalker

• Paid
The riffs start calming down a lot after the third episode. If I remember correctly "write some riffs" was a Kickstarter reward, so they probably had a lot that they were pretty much obligated to use.
I Liked That Joke