Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:29:25 pm

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: ballp.it Changelog  (Read 117993 times)

Runic

• Is Putting A Donk On It
  • Paid
  • John Brown did nothing wrong
The Changelog
Do we even have any locked topics?
EYE OF ZA

EYE OF ZA

• some people's reactions such as the fuck,the hell,wtf, or what the hell
  • Paid
  • I have a problem and then I have another problem
The Changelog
Droid Sans is a Good Font in my book.  Still noticing some Arial accents though, like on the Post Reply page and down at the footer.

Lemon

• Whatever happened to Freedom of Speech?
  • Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
The Changelog
Still noticing some Arial accents though, like on the Post Reply page and down at the footer.
EYE OF ZA, February 03, 2014, 02:55:37 pm
Good catch. Did a find and delete on the CSS file, removing any reference to a font called "arial".
EYE OF ZA

fluffy

• Paid
  • free hugs
The Changelog
I thought something looked different and more readable!

Droid Sans is a WAY better screen font than Arial, which is designed to have the same metrics as Helvetica, and looks like shit everywhere. So, thanks.
EYE OF ZA

chai tea latte

• TheftBot is, simply put, a fully sentient robot for stealing automatic teller machines
  • Paid
  • (ATMs) from nearby convenience stores.
The Changelog

Droid Sans is a WAY better screen font than Arial, which is designed to have the same metrics as Helvetica, and looks like shit everywhere. So, thanks.
fluffy, February 03, 2014, 05:07:50 pm

Arial can be explained by one word: Microsoft. Also:

R
EYE OF ZA

nigeline

• Willy Dang Doodle
  • Paid
  • All you do is dump
The Changelog

fluffy, February 03, 2014, 05:07:50 pm

Arial can be explained by one word: Microsoft. Also:

R
kal-elk, February 03, 2014, 05:47:15 pm
AAAAA what an ugly letter.
EYE OF ZA

Lemon

• Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
The Changelog
Okay, two small but useful changes.

• Played with some max-sizes in the preview screen, so it better represents the final post (mainly in images)
  • Quoting an image will impose a very small dimension confine (200x120) to the quoted image. This imposed "thumbnail view" should make it so you can quote an image in your post without having a massive screenload happen. For example, here is a 1400x1400 square:

Both of these are CSS-only changes. Ctrl+F5 to grab the new stylesheet.
EYE OF ZA

Lemon

• Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
The Changelog
The hamburger menu for thefpl.us mobile was broken for a little bit, but it's working again.
EYE OF ZA

Boots Raingear

• BBQ Man-Pop
  • Administrator
  • CEO of Victor's basement
The Changelog
There's also a secret menu now that isn't listed in the hamburger menu. Try ordering your podcast "Dragon style".
EYE OF ZA

Lemon

• Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
The Changelog
It only recently occurred to me that I can use the <audio> element to allow people to listen to F+ episodes directly on the site, ep128 has a working example. I'll play with this idea a bit in the coming weeks, at which point thefpl.us will be basically inaccessible  to anyone using IE8. And fuck them.
EYE OF ZA

fluffy

• Paid
  • free hugs
The Changelog
I think if you do something like:

<audio src="/path/to/file" preload="none"><a href="/path/to/file">podcast link</a></audio>

the content will still be accessible to IE8 people, just not rendered inline. (or you could keep doing shitty-ass shit with <object> or whatever but who gives a fuck).

Also <audio> doesn't really do all that much for you by default so you might want to use a wrapper library like http://jplayer.org/ or something.

(Also it's a good thing you remembered to set preload to metadata-only, although you might want to set it to 'none' since I think metadata-only can still incur a lot of bandwidth on certain user agents.)
EYE OF ZA

Lemon

• Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
The Changelog
I think if you do something like: ... the content will still be accessible to IE8 people,
fluffy, February 23, 2014, 04:20:55 am
Right, but I don't care about IE8 people. There's a lot of great new technology out there, it's not worth spending time supporting people who are actively making the internet worse.

The audio container wasn't the entirety of the point anyway though. I'm gonna redo that whole stripe (again), but this time with SVG and I'll be goddamned if I'm gonna make PNG fallbacks for people using bad browsers.
Zsa Zsa EYE OF ZA

Lemon

• Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
The Changelog
Writing a post on a phone (or especially tablet) was kind of frustrating the other day, so I bumped up the textarea font-size quite a bit (160%) for displays under 768px. It's not the prettiest text editor you'll ever see, but it's much easier to edit, imo.
EYE OF ZA

Lemon

• Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
The Changelog
Added new favicons for both thefpl.us and ball.pit.

The F Plus one is barely noticeable change, just that it comes from a higher-res source (64x64 rather than 32x32), so it'll read better in bookmark apps & some mobile devices. ballp.it's favicon is a more noticeable change, hinting at a new drawing I got from King Kalamari a couple weeks back that I plan to have up on this site sometime over the weekend.
EYE OF ZA

Lemon

• Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
The Changelog
Login page restyled.
EYE OF ZA