Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:03:08 pm

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Let's Whine About Shitty Software  (Read 20016 times)

A Whirring Bone-White Gleech

• fact-lord
  • Paid
  • I was in first place, you whore!
Let's Whine About Shitty Software #30
Note that old versions of the file chooser’s documentation suggested using gtk_file_chooser_set_current_folder() in various situations, with the intention of letting the application suggest a reasonable default folder. This is no longer considered to be a good policy, as now the file chooser is able to make good suggestions on its own.Quote from

By "make good suggestions" they apparently mean "will display an arbitrary selection of files the user happens to have opened at some point since the OS was installed". I always wondered why so many programs defaulted to a list of seemingly random crap in the open file dialog, and now I know. They're actively being advised not to set a logical default directory.

The question of why the GTK people thought this was a good idea remains unsolved.
Moriarty, May 04, 2014, 12:34:59 am

Speaking of moronic default behaviors for file browsers...

« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 10:01:27 pm by Der Trommelnspinne »

Isfahan

• Ask me about AKs.
  • Ridiculist
  • Trouble with customers? Isfahano cares.
Let's Whine About Shitty Software #31
Is that file browser just going "I know how you want your files organized, here you go! :D No no, you're welcome!"

A Whirring Bone-White Gleech

• fact-lord
  • Paid
  • I was in first place, you whore!
Let's Whine About Shitty Software #32
Is that file browser just going "I know how you want your files organized, here you go! :D No no, you're welcome!"
Isfahan, May 13, 2014, 10:10:42 pm

If that's what it's trying to do, it guessed wrong by a pretty wide margin.

I hade most of these Smart, Semantic File Organization Schemes, because they never do a better job of organizing my files than I do.  Directory trees full of MP3s are pretty much the only instance where the heuristic tool is a big improvement.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 10:20:16 pm by Der Trommelnspinne »

Old_Zircon

• The phased-out byzantine devil.
  • Paid
Let's Whine About Shitty Software #33
I can't believe I haven't posted about Pro Tools in here yet.  I just don't have it in me to enumerate the things that suck about it right now but it really is the most crash prone, out of date, overpriced piece of junk DAW I've used, and if I'm not being paid I refuse to touch it.  The only positive thing I can say about it is that the keyboard shortcuts are pretty well thought out.

I haven't tried 11 yet but looking at some of the early pro reviews it sounds like an upgrade from the 90s technology under the hood of 10 to technology that every other good DAW had in place by 2006 or 2007.  Also they eliminated the "Complete Production Toolkit" bundle (i.e. the "unlock features that are standard in most programs" bundle) so now insCtead of having to spend about $2800 to get a piece of software that still compares poorly to Reaper on every level except for control surface support (and Nuendo/Cubase already had that down back when I still used them 5 or 6 years ago), now you have to buy a 5-figure, full blown HD system with it's overpriced, mediocre converters, just to get uncrippled software.   Also it's not backward compatible with the previous 20 years worth of hardware, so EVEN IF YOU ALREADY OWN AN HD SYSTEM you have to get A NEW ONE.

Also pay-per-ticket tech support.

Even in the 90s when it was dominant, it was a second rate solution for people who wanted nonlinear editing but couldn't afford a Sonic Solutions rig that was even more expensive (but actually sounded good by all accounts).

EYE OF ZA

• some people's reactions such as the fuck,the hell,wtf, or what the hell
  • Paid
  • I have a problem and then I have another problem
Let's Whine About Shitty Software #34
I forget that Steam is open, connect my laptop to my phone to do some internet work, and suddenly a whole gigabyte of my cell data (a 2GB limit) for the month is gone.

Okay, fuck.  I turn Steam offline, so that this doesn't happen again.

I do the same thing two days later.  Steam, while offline, downloads a 50+ MB update.

Steam: we're not quite sure what "offline" means

Lemon

• Whatever happened to Freedom of Speech?
  • Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
Let's Whine About Shitty Software #35
Had to install Visual Studio on a new computer today. Unchecked the stuff I didn't need, then it started downloading.

16 gigabytes.

Yossarian

• Sophisticated Sophistry
  • Paid
  • No one tell Hitler!
Let's Whine About Shitty Software #36
I forget that Steam is open, connect my laptop to my phone to do some internet work, and suddenly a whole gigabyte of my cell data (a 2GB limit) for the month is gone.

Okay, fuck.  I turn Steam offline, so that this doesn't happen again.

I do the same thing two days later.  Steam, while offline, downloads a 50+ MB update.

Steam: we're not quite sure what "offline" means
EYE OF ZA, July 22, 2014, 04:08:18 pm

From what I've been told steam defines offline as by design critically temporary. Apparently after a set amount of time steam will refuse to function until a connection is made.