Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:52:31 am

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Homosexuality: Legitimate, Alternate DEATHSTYLE [Recorded, F Minus, 33:27]  (Read 7721 times)

Ganymede

• Larval Gambino
  • Paid
  • WARNING: IMPLICIT CONTENT
This is a shitty comic book from 1986, about how gay people are corrupt and bad.  I encountered a full copy of it in my youth and was absolutely rattled by it, I devoured horror books from a young age but it was the first thing I outright felt too bad to read in its entirety.  Believe it or not, I wish I had.

I've never been able to find a complete scan of it on the internet, and I know that's the only way there'd be enough content for it to be F Plus worthy, so instead I took it upon myself to slog through the partial scan that's online.  I apologize for any "umm, err" nonsense on my part, it's my most critical failing, but honestly for the state I'm in I think the rest of this turned out pretty well for a one-shot no-editing recording.  We'll see if I agree sober.

Here is a link to the prevalent scan of the comic itself, hosted on Comics with Problems (which I now feel I should examine for more terrible things)

Here is my voicebox parsing the awful things on those pages for your ears, and I would totally appreciate feedback to make the next one of these more enjoyable.

I'm also going to keep looking for that full scan, if I ever find it I'll record some sequels to this.

btw if this "episode" had a proper title I'd call it Flirting With Death and Snogging Pestilence

EDIT: to be a little picky with feedback, preferably something not accounted for by the editing process that would be standard in an ordinary recording

EDIT 2: REVENGE OF EDIT: I think Vocaroo stops maintaining recordings after a certain point, if anyone has a free hosting alternative for the MP3 I'm all ears!

EDIT 3: HOLY SHIT I'M THAT PERSON: I can't believe I forgot this, it's the most important part!  I initially meant to record it, but this will have to do:

I learned, or maybe reinforced, that perception of gay people as icky fuels things with a purported objective basis.  70% of the content in this reading (to pull a bullshit stat out of my ass in the fashion of this comic) was stuff that a consenting straight couple could easily do, and the blurb on kissing was sort of a refined diamond of that mindset.  Everyone has unique tastes, or slips up now and again, but if you're someone against whom there's already a bias the hammer is going to come down extra-hard from people opposed to your way of life who are trying to make an example of you.
Nifty Nif skanker
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 03:36:33 am by Ganymede »

Ganymede

• Larval Gambino
  • Paid
I want to clarify something my partner brought up:

The brief Star Trek reference was not intended as a dig or commentary on George Takei.  I was trying to make a boring list move by in a less boring way, and my voice sort of made the decision for me.  I apologize if anyone took it the wrong way.

Nifty Nif

• Big Dumb Slimy Monster
  • Paid
  • powerful and can be dangreous
Hey, nice voice, and very impressive for one take!  The recording came across as audience-appropriate (good for ballp.it and taken in good spirit for atrocity tourism).  Thank you for sharing!  Other comments: good length for material and cast size, and it's great to hear readings of stuff that is too obscure, visual, or incomplete for a full 1-hour episode with a large cast.  Keeping energy high and tone consistent is tough for one person.  I think Lou Fernandez does it exceptionally well, but his podcast is of a different flavor than what I think you're trying to do here.  It was great that you threw in some voices and drama to keep the reading punchy!  If anything, bring it over the top.  Go hard or go home.  Once again, great work!

Eventually I might get around to recording my own knockoff.  Who can say?  I'd love to do a recording of my own on some gross internet that might be too niche for the F+.  Every time someone shares, I start to work up the courage to do so myself.  [yay]
Ganymede
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 01:37:10 pm by Nifty Nif »

Ganymede

• Larval Gambino
  • Paid
Thank you so much!  I think if even one person likes this I've done my job, so thanks for validating me on the internet. 

Eventually I might get around to recording my own knockoff.  Who can say?  I'd love to do a recording of my own on some gross internet that might be too niche for the F+.  Every time someone shares, I start to work up the courage to do so myself. [yay]
Nifty Nif, May 30, 2016, 01:34:37 pm

This is super exciting, I remember feeling that way a little ways into my first foray into the F+.  I had never really given a shit about podcasts until then (I still think this is a defensible stance), but it really appealed to me as a performance medium.  I've obviously never heard your voice, but you seem to have a solid understanding of what constitutes listenable and interesting material, so I'd love to see what you bring to the table.  Eldritch Hat recorded recently too, and though I haven't gotten around to listening to it yet due to bad-personism, it sort of made me want to record my own.

And to speak a little broadly, anyone reading this who's on the fence should also take a stab at this!  It doesn't matter if it's a little shaky and shitty, as long as you've got enthusiasm and don't take it too seriously, and it's a LOT of fun(?).

[yay] Thanks again for being my first ballpit listener! [yay]