Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:20:19 am

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: 246: Compose With Joystick Controllers  (Read 16947 times)

Puppy Time

• Rainbow Brownshirt
  • Paid
  • AND THEN THEY'LL HAVE A DONKEY HEAD!
246: Compose With Joystick Controllers #15

Neal, March 15, 2017, 08:12:26 pm

Chapter 1-5:
"Hm, not too bad; I can see where you could find something interesting about the depiction of play in the various genres, or even maybe audience interac-"

Conclusion:
UUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuggggggghhhhhhhh

bigfangirl

• Paid
246: Compose With Joystick Controllers #16
I feel like there are ok ways to do video game poetry... and then there's this. Oh goodness. It pains me.
Why does everyone hate meter?????

Cleretic

• Russian Roulette Silver Medalist
  • Paid
246: Compose With Joystick Controllers #17
You know, just yesterday I was thinking about how I'd love to write about different people's interactions with character creators. Comparing different approaches--people like me who learn about their inner selves by exploring why they pick what they do, with stuff like Monster Factory that pushes the boundaries of what's even possible, that weirdo that doesn't actually customize his character at all, and probably some others. And then juxtapose those approaches with a game like Fallout 4, that's got that level of character creation but lacks the will to extend that freedom beyond the creator, and explore that clash between what the players and designers might want.

This episode has both taught me that this idea isn't worth pursuing, and that if I did it anyway I'd still be doing more with the notion of 'writing about video games' than people with way better credentials than me are.

Sherman Tank

• Licensed Kadir-Buxton Method Practitioner
  • Associate Tag Director, East
  • I'm over 30 years old and I like fried chicken.
246: Compose With Joystick Controllers #18
This episode has both taught me that this idea isn't worth pursuing, and that if I did it anyway I'd still be doing more with the notion of 'writing about video games' than people with way better credentials than me are.
Cleretic, March 16, 2017, 02:31:52 am

Honestly I think this episode proved that those better credentials don't mean jack shit.

It's absolutely possible to write academic-type articles or essays or whatever about video games.

Puppy Time

• Rainbow Brownshirt
  • Paid
246: Compose With Joystick Controllers #19
Serioustalk there's plenty interesting to be done academically with vidya gaems, just 1) it's a fetus of a field, so everyone's still flailing around trying to figure out how to do it and 2) a lot of this episode is Fine Arts, which at best is only interesting if you're also a Fine Arts major, and in the majority of cases is only interesting if you're the person who wrote it.  In either case, credentials don't mean shit.
Yavuz Liatai Dawnswalker

duz

• Paid
246: Compose With Joystick Controllers #20
I feel like there are ok ways to do video game poetry... and then there's this. Oh goodness. It pains me.
Why does everyone hate meter?????
bigfangirl, March 16, 2017, 12:10:57 am

Because here in America we measure our poetry in feet.
Puppy Time Lemon Sherman Tank Yavuz nuffkins, of all people, bigfangirl EYE OF ZA Corn Syrup JamEngulfer Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop Knitting Machine chai tea latte Vinny Possum znarf Saoirse-Lilith bubbleuj Macho Masc Sangy Savage Down10 SuperTrainStationH Malten

Sherman Tank

246: Compose With Joystick Controllers #21
I wonder how many tens of thousands of dollars' worth of college loan debt was involved in those MFA candidates' journey to the world of being a video games poet.

FUCKMONSTER

• ******** Extraordinaire?
  • Paid
  • You know. Like. A monster who fucks.
246: Compose With Joystick Controllers #22
I was so baffled during VAST NECROHOL that I stopped listening to look at the doc. It didn't help. The words were still incomprehensible. Then I think I must have blacked out after that from sheer shock of how bad it was because I can't remember any of the other material in the episode.

Puppy Time

• Rainbow Brownshirt
  • Paid
246: Compose With Joystick Controllers #23
That was actually made more intelligible than the Middle English that she was working with. It just doesn't make any goddam sense unless you're really into Chaucer. 

Well, by "make sense" I mean "sound like words."  The whole thing is still navelgazing nonsense.

ETA: Like, it's a combination coping with the serious illness of a loved one and with... possibly abuse? Either way, this is only clear when she explains it, because apparently art these days is not actually about communication, it's about throwing your guts in the world's face and leaving them to try and understand what the hell just happened. 

That was a terrible metaphor, I apologise.
cashmir sweaters Deep 13 Sherman Tank
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 11:35:45 pm by Puppy Time »

FUCKMONSTER

• ******** Extraordinaire?
  • Paid
  • You know. Like. A monster who fucks.
246: Compose With Joystick Controllers #24
Sent off the Chauceresque mess to a friend who studies medieval English and her response was "I know Middle English doesn’t have standardized spelling, but literally none of this is correct and I just don’t understand how this happened".
I gave it one more glance and realized that if I didn't actually focus on the words, it made some sort of sense, which is terrifying.
Also, I can't get away from the knowledge that in FF12, there's no autosave function, no custom naming, and the necrohol is in, but not actually, a swamp.
Why must this poetry be so wrong on multiple levels?
Why must I have retained this much knowledge of Final Fantasy XII??

Puppy Time

• Rainbow Brownshirt
  • Paid
246: Compose With Joystick Controllers #25
Apparently it wasn't supposed to even be strict Middle English, but some goofy knockoff her D&D Orc OC talks in.

So that whole thing was her D&D character talking. 

Also the "Juggalo" pic is her dressed up as said character on Halloween.

It's a horrible casserole of turbogeek and artsy pretense.  At least the Sonic fan characters have a level of unsophisticated charm to them!  They're not claiming to be anything but fan characters! 

ETA: I... did not realise the level of strong feelings I have regarding this subject. 

A Meat

• Artificial Man Pop Seasoning
  • Paid
  • filled with delicious dude meat
246: Compose With Joystick Controllers #26
Is now the time for me to mention that Lemon pronounced Ljubljana wrong?
Puppy Time xX_sp00ks_Xx Sherman Tank chai tea latte MyFaceBeHi

Puppy Time

• Rainbow Brownshirt
  • Paid
246: Compose With Joystick Controllers #27
I was trying not to be the one to do it.

EYE OF ZA

• some people's reactions such as the fuck,the hell,wtf, or what the hell
  • Paid
  • I have a problem and then I have another problem
246: Compose With Joystick Controllers #28
A Meat, March 17, 2017, 04:44:57 pm

First "pagan" and now "Ljubljana" man Lemon is bad at pronounciation

Sherman Tank

246: Compose With Joystick Controllers #29
A Meat, March 17, 2017, 04:44:57 pm

To be honest I figured it was wrong but I don't actually know what the right pronunciation even is to begin.