Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:15:26 pm

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: what's your poison (and by poison i mean delicious alcohol)  (Read 107185 times)

Saoirse-Lilith

• Paid

I hear the word "scotch" and came running. I live in Scotland, so my recommendations might not be as readily available where you are, but I'll try and give some general advice.

The problem with Scottish whiskey is that often you're just paying for the brand. The manufacturing process is similar for all of them, apart from some differences like the barrels its aged in and whatnot. Your price range is sensible, and you could get a decent single malt whiskey for that price. For recommendations, I quite like Chivas Regal 12, but single malts are usually nicer than blended whiskeys in general.

Also, some Scottish whiskeys are "smoky" tasting due to peat being used when the grains are malted. It's a love it or hate it thing, from my experience, so you might buy a full bottle of it and hate the taste.Get some minatures if you can, so you can try before you buy. Alot of whiskeys from the Western isles are often smoked due to more peat being available than on the mainland. The Arran 10 year old malt is what I'd recommend.

I hope some of this was useful!
Eider Duck, April 16, 2017, 06:25:14 pm

Nice! What better than to get a Scots input on scotch?

Yeah I was more leaning towards a single malt. I'm not too big on blended but then again I've really only had Johnnie Walker. I really only use that in cocktails though. And I'm actually looking for something peaty or smoky, I rather like a nice complex flavour.

Worst case scenario is that I can pick up a good local scotch when I'm in Edinburgh in May. I can't wait, it'll be my first time in the UK, or even off the North American continent.

Eider Duck

• Eats nothing but mussels
  • Paid
  • And has weird corkscrew genitals
Nice! What better than to get a Scots input on scotch?

Yeah I was more leaning towards a single malt. I'm not too big on blended but then again I've really only had Johnnie Walker. I really only use that in cocktails though. And I'm actually looking for something peaty or smoky, I rather like a nice complex flavour.

Worst case scenario is that I can pick up a good local scotch when I'm in Edinburgh in May. I can't wait, it'll be my first time in the UK, or even off the North American continent.
screaminghobo, April 16, 2017, 08:09:41 pm

I've never tasted Johnnie Walker, yet that seems to be the big brand of scotch worldwide. I guess their marketing departing is fantastic!

Oh, watch out where you buy whiskey in Edinburgh! I don't recommened buying anything on the royal mile, because it's a tourist trap and they jack up the prices of everything. Edinburgh is a beautiful city, no denying that, but it's easy to get ripped off.

(If you need any Scottish advice, PM me. May is a great time to visit!)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 02:03:00 pm by Eider Duck »

Political Satire

• Paid
  • subtle
Steel Reserve or Hurricane if I've been a good boy and deserve to splurge a little.
Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop

bigfangirl

• Paid
After hearing various people talking about them on here, I finally had a dark and stormy last night. I'm into it. No regrets 10/10

SHAMBA~1.SBB

• I love dungs!!
  • Paid
  • ƨtupid cat
Old Rasputin and Brother Thelonious, both of which happen to be by North Coast.

lazzer grardaion?

• Paid

There really should be a drinks version of the recipes episodes.
Corn Syrup Sherman Tank chai tea latte

Sherman Tank

• Licensed Kadir-Buxton Method Practitioner
  • Associate Tag Director, East
  • I'm over 30 years old and I like fried chicken.
I'm really into Mother Earth Brew Co's Cali Creamin' cream ale. Also good ol' Anchor Steam.

Macho Masc Sangy Savage

• Beep Beep Imma Dwarf Jeep
  • Paid
  • 🍕 Pizza Philosopher 🍕
SOS ballp.it I need a sweet drink that an anemic wedding open bar can handle

Edit: emergency cancelled. Good ol' long Island iced teas until I become an embarrassment to myself or the shuttle arrives.
A Whirring Bone-White Gleech bubbleuj
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 04:59:20 pm by Sanguinary Novel »

Runic

• Is Putting A Donk On It
  • Paid
  • John Brown did nothing wrong
apples > hops

Shell Game

• Fearless: The Fiscal Year of Shadow
  • Paid
  • Rex Morgan knows about Pretty Cure. Look it up.
help my region is trying to kill me with endless IPAs

i just want a good stout but so many bars have nothing darker than red ale on tap ; ;
Sherman Tank

Sherman Tank

• Licensed Kadir-Buxton Method Practitioner
  • Associate Tag Director, East
  • I'm over 30 years old and I like fried chicken.

i just want a good stout but so many bars have nothing darker than red ale on tap ; ;
Shell Game, October 17, 2017, 10:18:53 pm

Commiserations. I live in San Diego so I know the feeling.

Emperor Jack Chick

• he/him
  • Ridiculist
  • Metal tyrant from hell

Shell Game, October 17, 2017, 10:18:53 pm

Commiserations. I live in San Diego so I know the feeling.
You're Sherman, I'm Tank, October 18, 2017, 07:28:38 am

its a problem across the country.
Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop Shell Game Sherman Tank

• Trill Lesh
  • Paid
  • 12 cellphones and I look like kurt angle
no diggity no stout player :((

bigfangirl

• Paid
Had my first ever white Russian last night. It was a goddamn delight.
chai tea latte Macho Masc Sangy Savage Shell Game

chai tea latte

• TheftBot is, simply put, a fully sentient robot for stealing automatic teller machines
  • Paid
  • (ATMs) from nearby convenience stores.
Had my first ever white Russian last night. It was a goddamn delight.
bigfangirl, October 19, 2017, 08:14:26 am
A good fuckin' drink.
Macho Masc Sangy Savage Shell Game