Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:24:32 am

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Episode 106: Asgard Doesn't Have Alimony Laws  (Read 30114 times)

Alpha Starsquatch

• bigfoot conservationist
  • Paid
  • back alley veterinarian
Literally all that's missing is a detailed description of making Loki a sammich— albeit that one post I found where Thor made her food comes pretty close.

EDIT: Found it in one of the docs.

Usually the myths I read about Thor are Him slaying all the things and being all macho, but here He just wanted to make me mashed potatoes and then cuddle.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 05:58:06 am by Al »

nilvoid

• FUCK COMPOSE FUCK MELODY
  • Paid
  • DEDICATED TO NO ONE THANKS TO NO ONE ART IS OVER
All joking aside, this was a really good episode, and the readers sounded like they had a great time of it. It's also one of the first episodes in a while that featured harmless crazy, which is a nice reprieve from scammers and men's rights activists.
chai tea latte cube abuser

Sherlockian

• Library handwriting. Indexing. Abstracting. Alphabetizing. Filing.
  • Paid
  • File under Z695.95 S54
Why do these sad, crazy ladies never talk about being astrally married to Zeus or Ra? Or even someone else in the Norse pantheon?
advancedclass, July 24, 2013, 11:21:26 pm

Sherlockian's document had a post from an asexual who is in a D/s relationship with Bast.
Lemon, July 25, 2013, 07:52:53 am

Now I'm sorry I asked. Dammit, Sherlockian!
advancedclass, July 25, 2013, 08:29:12 am

You're welcome. There's also someone who's "courting" Ra, and I and one of the other documents also found someone who is "married" to Set.  Because that makes sense.  (The Set godspouse we found no longer posts under the handle I originally found them reblogged by, but some quick googling proves they still exist.)

Also, my deepest thanks to whichever of the other two submitters managed to dig up the full text of the Loki-raped-my-husband-in-his-dreams post. I was looking high and low for it, and couldn't find it anywhere.  That one is my favorite crazy Loki-worshipper thing, especially given that it actually set off a big argument among crazy pagans about whether or not it was okay to worship Loki.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 02:36:20 pm by sherlockian »

Yossarian

• Sophisticated Sophistry
  • Paid
  • No one tell Hitler!
Way back in elementary school I found a pile of old Greek mythology books in our house. It was neat because I was just getting into history and it was fascinating. I burned through at least a dozen books of myths and general Greek culture stuff over a few months. One day my mother came upstairs to my room and found me sitting with a pile of books spread before me. She asked what I was doing and I told her I was comparing the three slightly different variations of the same myth in my collection. She glanced at the books before looking at me earnestly and asking. "You don't actually believe this stuff do you?."

I looked up at her and before I answered her I was confused. I wasn't living in ancient Greece, I didn't need to explain the moment of the sun by way of magical chariots, the heroes of my culture were not turned to gods because of the greatness of their deeds. I thought to myself there was no way someone would genuinely believe that the seasons were caused because Orpheus really loved his daughter and couldn't wait one minute more to look at her or any other pre scientific nonsense. Clearly I was wrong, and I now suspect that Dionysus is secretly playing all these chumps. I look forward to my interview with Odysseus when I discover the door to the underworld just off the coast of Italy.

I'm pretty sure she still tried to take away my Greek mythology books after that talk.
Delcat

KingKalamari

• Cephalopod Enthusiast
  • Paid
  • It's Samba time for Tambo & Weep Day for Urine Man
I just want to talk about that one Loki-Wife writing the Steampunk fairy bullshit and talking to him and crap, specifically her justification for how her insanity all started. Like she uses the excuse that, as a writer, she talks to her characters as some sort of writing exercise and it's totally normal you guys no really all writers do this. Well the thing is, I do a fair bit of writing in my spare time (For comics at least...That still counts as writing, shut up) and I can legitimately say I

1.Don't do that
2.Think it's stupid and
3.Think it's not a very effective writing exercise

I've seen this sort of idea pop up every once in a while where fan fiction writers or otherkin or soulbonders or whoever will treat characters like they're entities that exist outside of their imaginations and have their own thoughts and desires independent of the authour's and that is not only insane but also leads them to develop some very poor writing habits.

One of the big problems that comes from this attitude (Besides being married to Loki) is it causes these people to develop too strong an emotional connection to these characters to write them effectively. The aim of any good writer is, of course, to create a sense of emotional connection between the reader and the characters in their story but part of doing that is not being afraid to fuck up the lives of the characters you're writing. The essence of narrative is conflict and when you begin to think too much of the characters you write as actual people with real emotions you become hesitant to throw hardship their way. While it's important to make your characters seem like real people with their own goals and ambitions you really can't go soft on them and talking to them like they're sitting in the room with you is not a step in the right direction.

There's also the fact that, if one were to treat this as a simple writing exercise, it becomes a little short-sighted. See, while doing some sort of a mock interview with a character might be a first step at getting a sense of their personality and who they are you really need to take it further if you want your character to feel really fleshed out. See, one of the most interesting things about people is the fact they don't really have a single, immutable personality to them: They behave differently depending on the circumstances. The way I behave on Ballp.it is different from the way I behave at home is different from the way I behave at work. A well written fictional character is really no different: They will behave in different ways given the circumstances and, perhaps more importantly, the way they perceive themselves is not necessarily the way they actually are.

What I tend to try to do instead when i'm writing things is to sort of act things out...Basically just reading lines aloud when I'm alone and trying to improvise scenes by talking to myself. I feel it's a better way of going about things because it makes me put myself in the place of my characters and build off my own experiences to try and figure out what their motivations and thoughts are (Though this can lead to new sets of problems I suppose). It also gives the added bonus of letting me test to make sure my dialogue sounds natural.

So I know we have some people who write far more professionally than I so I do have to ask: I am just blowing smoke out my ass here or does this make sense? What are other people's thoughts on the writing process and the weird and unhealthy ways fictionkin and soulbonders and Lokiwives go about it.

count_actuala

• Real VamPire
  • Paid
  • Do you tend to get a high from human blood?
The aim of any good writer is, of course, to create a sense of emotional connection between the reader and the characters in their story but part of doing that is not being afraid to fuck up the lives of the characters you're writing. The essence of narrative is conflict and when you begin to think too much of the characters you write as actual people with real emotions you become hesitant to throw hardship their way
KingKalamari, July 25, 2013, 09:13:08 pm
This is where you misstep and reveal inadvertently that you haven't met nearly enough of the worst fanfiction writers.

Lemon

• Whatever happened to Freedom of Speech?
  • Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
3.Think it's not a very effective writing exercise
KingKalamari, July 25, 2013, 09:13:08 pm

The thing is, the ineffectiveness of the method is self-evident. Just look at this exchange in the beginning.

Loki: I’m not a character you know. I’m a god.
Me: I know. You are the Norse God of Fucking with People.
Loki: Your tongue is a blunt weapon. You and Thor should talk.
Heather Freysdottir

That is not naturalistic dialogue. Nor is it Mamet-style unnaturalistic dialogue with a specific rhythm. That is simply terrible dialogue, borne from sitcoms and with a deaf ear to actual human interaction. It's not just that post, there's a number of examples on her site of conversations that she has with Loki, and every one of them stilted, cutesy, and really forced.

Schizophrenia, at least, is a mental illness with a purpose - your voices are untended impulses made manifest. This is just inventing somebody out of thin air so you can get somebody to compliment your writing.

count_actuala

• Real VamPire
  • Paid
  • Do you tend to get a high from human blood?
Her conversations with Loki read like submissions to Not Always Right.

Goose Goose Honk At Me Now

• Can I offer you a Lorna Doone?
  • Paid
  • You have a very flexible torso.
Things I just realized: according to one of the posts read in this podcast, Loki is a literal chucklefuck.

TheCrawlingChaos

• IWASWONDERINGIFTHEREWEREANYSTORIESWHEREJENSENISACATPERSONANDJAREDISADOGPERSONANDSOMEHOWTHISISACOMPLICATIONINTHEIRRELATIONSHIP?!?
  • Paid
  • Messenger of the Outer Gods
I've seen this sort of idea pop up every once in a while where fan fiction writers or otherkin or soulbonders or whoever will treat characters like they're entities that exist outside of their imaginations and have their own thoughts and desires independent of the authour's and that is not only insane but also leads them to develop some very poor writing habits.

One of the big problems that comes from this attitude (Besides being married to Loki) is it causes these people to develop too strong an emotional connection to these characters to write them effectively. The aim of any good writer is, of course, to create a sense of emotional connection between the reader and the characters in their story but part of doing that is not being afraid to fuck up the lives of the characters you're writing. The essence of narrative is conflict and when you begin to think too much of the characters you write as actual people with real emotions you become hesitant to throw hardship their way. While it's important to make your characters seem like real people with their own goals and ambitions you really can't go soft on them and talking to them like they're sitting in the room with you is not a step in the right direction.KingKalamari, July 25, 2013, 09:13:08 pm

A phenomenon colloquially known as Laurel K. Hamilton Syndrome. (There are pages and pages of material from both Hamilton and her most rabid detractors that could make for a good doc, actually. I'll have to look into that when the current backlog goes down a bit.)

Additionally, thanks to this episode I've realized that the Aztec rain god Chac has been courting me for a demiromantic grey-asexual queergenderfuckshitcunt relationship for the past four years due to my interest in pre-Columbian Mesoamerican culture and the fact that it never stops raining where I live except for the last two weeks when we must have had a falling-out. I'm wondering how best to break this to my husband.
Sex Bomb
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 01:29:16 am by TheCrawlingChaos »

junior associate faguar

• Frankly, an unreasonable level of uguu~
  • Paid
There just wasn't the level of rage I look for in these sorts of episodes. It was enjoyable because of the sheer craziness of those involved.

Horza

• Emissary of Commandante Aligheri
  • Paid
  • DEFY THE SPACETHORITIES!
I enjoyed this a lot, some great voice work and my hat is again doffed to the compilers of this incredibly annoying material.

There just wasn't the level of rage I look for in these sorts of episodes. It was enjoyable because of the sheer craziness of those involved.
Sinestro, July 26, 2013, 01:54:58 am

See, I wouldn't really call these people crazy. Gene Ray is crazy. Amy Lee: crazy. These people are desperately sad, lame twits trying to dress up their everyday pathos with imaginary god lovers.

junior associate faguar

• Frankly, an unreasonable level of uguu~
  • Paid
Some of them were just sad, but the writer for example strolls out of Sadness Garden out on to Schizophrenia Boulevard.

Isfahan

• Ask me about AKs.
  • Ridiculist
  • Trouble with customers? Isfahano cares.
Awhile back, just talking in Skype, Lemon and I had a great conversation about how you can smell fake crazy from a mile away. All of the Tumblrites of the world who want so very much to come across as ~*free spirited*~ and ~*quirky*~ and ~*off kilter*~ and whatnot do a terrible job of replicating the word choice and cadence and disjointed logical strains of genuinely crazy people, like your Francis Decs and your Gene Rays and your Connie Marshalls.

I agree that the Loki dialogues that person tried to pass off as real just sounds so much like the precious, overly-witty dialogue of the pop culture they obviously steep themselves in, like WB serial dramas and movies about comic-book characters.
Sherman Tank

Psammetichus

• ᕕ(⊙ω⊙)ᕗ
  • Paid
  • O damn'd Sonic! O inhuman hog!
Loki, as quoted in the Prose Edda:

Do you remember, Odin, when in bygone days
we mixed our blood together?
You said you would never drink ale
unless it were brought to both of us.

Loki, as quoted by Heather Freysdottir:

i LoVe To sNuGgLe!!! ^_^

The only reason it's Loki and not some other stand-in is because of the Avengers movie. They're just trying too hard, and it shows.
nilvoid