Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:47:26 am

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Phobias  (Read 15093 times)

QueenSyreen

• Unsurprised, yet Disappointed
  • Paid
  • very very strongly pro-vaxx
Phobias #30
I think it's the zombie games I play but every time I walk by a car parked in the street, and I mean every time, I brace myself to either see a corpse lying in the back through the windows or have the corpse suddenly fling itself against the window, throw blood everywhere, and scream at me

Does anyone know what scene from a horror movie traumatized me forever because I can't remember what did this to me

Bodark

• Joan Ocean's #1 Fansquatch
  • Paid
  • I'm real and I tried to suck your dick.
Phobias #31
Spiders, heights, crowds and hypodermic needles. I'm getting better with most of them, but crowds are still really hard to deal with. ( u﹏u ;;;)

Anybody heard of trypophobia? I am super grossed out by holes in certain patterns, like dried out lotus pods.  The scene in Inglprious Basterds where they shot up the walls of the bar almost caused me to leave the theater. It ties into a flesh eating bacteria fear I used to have, I think. I also was TERRIFIED of becoming a zombie as a child. Slight germaphobe. Many anxieties all over everywhere.
lunchboxoven, June 25, 2016, 11:41:26 pm

Fun fact about trypophobia: it's actually a perfectly normal reaction! Trypophobia occurs when your brain has no frame of reference as to how an object feels, and you can't touch the thing to give it a frame of reference. It manifests as a sort of visceral reaction that can easily pass for fear. If you see glass, and can't touch it, your brain can simulate the feeling of the smooth, cold sensation on your fingers; if you see a very fluffy animal, you can imagine petting it, and how soft it would be. If you see a picture of lotus pods, or a wall riddled with bullet holes, your brain just can't figure it out, triggering that fear-like response.

When I experience it, I feel like I'm going to gag, or even throw up, and I have to look away. What helps me stop the feeling is getting my hands on something familiar that has a very distinct texture, like the fabric of my jeans, or the screen of my phone, and rubbing it.
Goose Goose Honk At Me Now

bubbleuj

• Paid
Phobias #32
I got home and found a moth on my closest door.  It took  10 minutes of sweating and pacing to muster up the courage to look at it. When I finally did I obviously starting sobbing.

This made me take my glasses off and yay blurry moths are less scary and I was able to toss it outside!

Yay me, yay!

Then I told my boyfriend and he immediately sent me a picture of a moth because he does not understand what this is like.
AlbieQuirky Liatai Goose Goose Honk At Me Now

NutshellGulag

• Monkey Bacon
  • Ridiculist
  • My cat? Let me tell you about my cat...
Phobias #33
Does anyone know what scene from a horror movie traumatized me forever because I can't remember what did this to me
QueenSyreen, June 26, 2016, 01:47:48 pm

I believe that would be every modern horror movie ever.

I'm a helper!

Vocal Minority

• Paid
Phobias #34
I have a deathly fear of things near my eyes. During a play I was in at college, I wasn't allowed to wear glasses, so I needed contacts. I had been meaning to get them for a while, so I figured this would give me the reason to get them. The whole ordeal was terrifying. Bringing my finger so close to my eye with this thin bit of silicone, I'm shivering just typing this. I'd try for thirty minutes each night, only to give up and go to bed. As the opening night of the play came closer, I had my mom and her sister come into the bathroom with me to give me a few of their Xanax and to call me a bitch until I did it. I couldn't do it in the end and just want on stage without my glasses, and hoped i wouldn't trip. To this day I can't take eye drops and if something gets in my eye while I'm driving, I have to pull over and get it out before I can continue.

Nifty Nif

• Big Dumb Slimy Monster
  • Paid
  • powerful and can be dangreous
Phobias #35
Anybody heard of trypophobia? I am super grossed out by holes in certain patterns, like dried out lotus pods.  The scene in Inglprious Basterds where they shot up the walls of the bar almost caused me to leave the theater. It ties into a flesh eating bacteria fear I used to have, I think. I also was TERRIFIED of becoming a zombie as a child. Slight germaphobe. Many anxieties all over everywhere.
lunchboxoven, June 25, 2016, 11:41:26 pm

Fun fact about trypophobia: it's actually a perfectly normal reaction! Trypophobia occurs when your brain has no frame of reference as to how an object feels, and you can't touch the thing to give it a frame of reference. It manifests as a sort of visceral reaction that can easily pass for fear. If you see glass, and can't touch it, your brain can simulate the feeling of the smooth, cold sensation on your fingers; if you see a very fluffy animal, you can imagine petting it, and how soft it would be. If you see a picture of lotus pods, or a wall riddled with bullet holes, your brain just can't figure it out, triggering that fear-like response.

When I experience it, I feel like I'm going to gag, or even throw up, and I have to look away. What helps me stop the feeling is getting my hands on something familiar that has a very distinct texture, like the fabric of my jeans, or the screen of my phone, and rubbing it.
Bodark, June 26, 2016, 02:35:52 pm

You know what?  I don't have trypophobia, but I have this same texture fear related to loss of circulation.  If I see someone wrap a piece of string tightly around their finger, I immediately want to vomit.  I've tried doing the same technique to alleviate it--touching my phone or my skirt, something familiar and smooth, and it actually works really well!
Bleh, though!  I've realized I have an extreme fear of oxygen deprivation, loss of circulation, choking, and drowning, and it sucks.  Not sure why or how, but it's there.

Eider Duck

• Eats nothing but mussels
  • Paid
  • And has weird corkscrew genitals
Phobias #36
Huh, alot of people here are terrified of needles. I always thought the sensation of them just felt strange rather then horrifying.

That said, I used to be terrified of squid/octopus and jellyfish. I got nightmares of them whenever I was a kid. My phobia of squid and octopus went away when I started eating them but my irrational fear/hatred of jellyfish remains. What's the point of jellyfish? They don't even taste of anything.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 09:23:03 pm by Eider Duck »

Liatai

• Made of tea, science, art, and dragons.
  • Paid
  • Warning: uses far too many smileys.
Phobias #37
... but my irrational fear/hatred of jellyfish remains. What's the point of jellyfish? They don't even taste of anything.
Eider Duck, August 09, 2016, 09:20:38 pm

Would hearing a biology student ramble about them help you any? :B (Spoilering so you don't have to read if you don't want to.)

Jellies basically exist to be some of the sea's garbage collectors. They're an extremely ancient and diverse group of animals, but by and large, they're small-time predators and scavengers by the time they reach the medusa stage -- that's the point in their life cycle when they look identifiably like "jellyfish" to the average person. They start life as polyps that don't look very jelly-like at all.

Most jellies just drift through the ocean, eating plankton, shrimp, small fish, small eggs, other jellyfish... Basically whatever their tentacles can grab and keep a hold of. (The neurotoxins in their stingers help with that.) In return, they're eaten by a number of sea creatures; other jellies, sharks, bigger fish, and sea turtles, to name a few. They also help clean up algal blooms, since they can survive waters with lower amounts of oxygen than fish can; of course, then you have to deal with a jelly bloom.

So yeah, they're wiggly woogly prehistoric scavengers with super-weird biology that sup upon and in turn are are supped upon by many marine critters. Yay!

On topic, in addition to many other things, I have a really weird aversion to slime.  If it's more viscous than water and less viscous than mashed potatoes, I just can't -- my brain goes aaaaaaaaugh. ^^; I guess because I keep thinking it's some kind of biofilm formed by bacteria or it's hiding something unpleasant and -- agleblargleblrgleplt. Nope. |D;

Honey is an exception because it's transparent and delicious, and has some antimicrobial properties so I know its viscosity isn't caused by partying microorganisms. Gels are kind of on the borderline -- I'd rather not touch them directly if I have the choice but ehhhhhn I can do it.

This gets worse if the slime is opaque, since I never know what it could be hiding. Unfortunately this extends to lots of thick soups. Fish chowder is the only exception because it's so darn delicious. :B
Eider Duck

Quaniit

• Special Little Snowflake
  • Paid
  • And my Wii U has melted through the floor
Phobias #38
I'm an astraphobe.  When I was younger, my house caught fire in a thunderstorm.  I haven't been able to deal with storms very well since.

znarf

• Paid
  • aka Ludwig von Bangthoven
Phobias #39
I don't have this problem, good bye!

Actually I have an irrational fear of heights.  I can deal with it.  Examples are flying in an airplane or indoor rock climbing, but I have small anxiety attacks.  Nothing like profusely sweating, looking around anxiously, increased breathing, and color changing when your on an airplane.  Good thing I'm white, lol.

KingKalamari

• Cephalopod Enthusiast
  • Paid
  • It's Samba time for Tambo & Weep Day for Urine Man
Phobias #40
Raw meat, especially chicken. It makes cooking very difficult.