Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:52:43 am

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Hello Canada  (Read 11200 times)

Silent Liver Disease

• 22-pie initiate
  • Paid
  • Cogito ergo bump
Hello Canada #15
Spent a weekend in southern Ontario about a month ago. I will agree that Canada does seem like something out of an alternative timeline novel, but in an overwhelmingly positive way. Toronto really showed me what Baltimore and other American cities could be if we all calmed down and made some common sense reforms. Public transit that seems to work, widespread bilingualism, diversity without segregation, metric, no pennies!

Corn Syrup

• Paid
  • hit it and quidditch
Hello Canada #16
I wish I could visit Canada :(
goombapolice, April 18, 2016, 10:14:48 am

What's stopping you? Still blacklisted for slapping that mountie's horse?

Boots Raingear

• BBQ Man-Pop
  • Administrator
  • CEO of Victor's basement
Hello Canada #17
Public transit that seems to work
Silent Liver Disease, May 10, 2016, 01:59:53 pm

That's an easy assumption to make when visiting any city and spending your time at the places where people go when they visit a city. Toronto's transit system is  (as it is in many North American cities) a slow, crowded, unreliable nightmare for the people who need to use it on a daily basis.

Sherman Tank

• Licensed Kadir-Buxton Method Practitioner
  • Associate Tag Director, East
  • I'm over 30 years old and I like fried chicken.
Hello Canada #18
Forgot to mention another F Plus crossover thing: I drank quite a lot of Downtown Brown in Ottawa, specifically because of that one Wikihow episode.

Silent Liver Disease

• 22-pie initiate
  • Paid
  • Cogito ergo bump
Hello Canada #19
Public transit that seems to work
Silent Liver Disease, May 10, 2016, 01:59:53 pm

That's an easy assumption to make when visiting any city and spending your time at the places where people go when they visit a city. Toronto's transit system is  (as it is in many North American cities) a slow, crowded, unreliable nightmare for the people who need to use it on a daily basis.
Boots Raingear, May 17, 2016, 08:34:10 am

Good point. I wouldn't be able to really judge overall from one weekend. However, I can tell you Toronto is light-years ahead of Baltimore.

I think the issue is really a legacy of racial tension. Even though Maryland is a Democratic stronghold and a liberal state on most issues, the inner city (majority African-American)  and the surrounding suburbs (majority white) are very disconnected and designed to stay that way. The only somewhat reliable systems (Amtrak and MARC) are oriented for commuters to DC and the military base to the northeast. We have one North-South light rail that largely serves as a shuttle from the airport and the sports stadia/convention center to the suburbs, and a patchwork of disorganized buses for anyone going anywhere else. If you're a tourist, a university student, or a suburbanite looking to spend some money at the Inner Harbor, you have more options that are free and better organized.

Sorry for the rant. I love my home, but I hate the way that we sweep our problems under the rug and pretend they don't exist. I like your city a lot, too.

Schumin Capote

• Paid
  • Nice to see you, to see you nice.
Hello Canada #20
Maybe I've dealt with a weird subset of Canadians (mostly from Calgary and Quebec), but it seems like no one hates Canadians more than other Canadians. Is this an accurate observation or just a weird aspect of Canadians who immigrated to America?

I've been considering going to Vancouver in July. Any recommendations for places to go or things to do there? It seems like there are some decent museums, though the music scene is surprisingly lacking. Not sure if I'm going there at the wrong time or just haven't come across the right resource to find indie/electronic concerts? Even local shows or just something super Canadian would be fine, since I just want to see some things I can't see at home. I'm looking forward to seeing trees and the ocean, since I'm trapped in the desert.
chai tea latte

Boots Raingear

• BBQ Man-Pop
  • Administrator
  • CEO of Victor's basement
Hello Canada #21
Maybe I've dealt with a weird subset of Canadians (mostly from Calgary and Quebec)
Schumin Capote, June 03, 2016, 03:27:20 am

You have.
chai tea latte Schumin Capote Sherman Tank Nifty Nif nuffkins, of all people,

chai tea latte

• TheftBot is, simply put, a fully sentient robot for stealing automatic teller machines
  • Paid
  • (ATMs) from nearby convenience stores.
Hello Canada #22
I've been considering going to Vancouver in July. Any recommendations for places to go or things to do there? It seems like there are some decent museums, though the music scene is surprisingly lacking. Not sure if I'm going there at the wrong time or just haven't come across the right resource to find indie/electronic concerts? Even local shows or just something super Canadian would be fine, since I just want to see some things I can't see at home. I'm looking forward to seeing trees and the ocean, since I'm trapped in the desert.
Schumin Capote, June 03, 2016, 03:27:20 am
come to Vancouver! And yes, the music scene is awful. Venues close at like 1, too, and afterparties aren't usually worth it. There's always small shows though so if you really can't find anything on Facebook let me know and I'll shoot you some places to check out.

The Art Gallery is really nice, and so is the Museum of Anthropology, which is in an absolutely gorgeous part of town up by UBC. Our public transit system, as much as locals rag on it, is pretty great.

You should go to one of our beaches! Wreck (the clothing-optional beach) is the most remote and consequently the nicest but there's 4 other ones so just pick what's nearby.

Have our sushi at some point, we're really really good at it. Kojima on Commercial and 4th is my favourite for their lunch special.

The Sun Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Garden is a must-see imo. There's two halves, one free to go to and the other which has some architecture and bonsai is a $10 donation. Get dim sum for lunch afterwards or breakfast beforehand.

Here are three other Ultimate Vancouver Experiences:
Hike up Grouse mountain and record your 'Grouse Grind' time
Buy quasi-legal cannabis (it is not hard and the police don't prosecute)
Go to a beach and a mountain in the same day

And remember!
Schumin Capote Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop

Schumin Capote

• Paid
Hello Canada #23
It's strange that Phoenix somehow has a better music scene than Vancouver. I've been able to see some good Canadian bands lately in Braids, Jessy Lanza, and Junior Boys, though I'd love to see Lydia Ainsworth and Marie Davidson. Thanks for the recommendations, I definitely want to see the art gallery and the Museum of Anthropology. The latter seems to have an exhibit on the Papuan origins of Mac Tonight (see image below). Is Science World worth seeing or is it more geared towards kids? The Chinese Garden and Grouse mountain sound interesting. I'm also thinking of going whale watching or on some sort of boat tour for the novelty of being on a boat. It was 114 F/45 C today, so escaping the heat for a few days sounds nice.

chai tea latte

• TheftBot is, simply put, a fully sentient robot for stealing automatic teller machines
  • Paid
Hello Canada #24
It's strange that Phoenix somehow has a better music scene than Vancouver. I've been able to see some good Canadian bands lately in Braids, Jessy Lanza, and Junior Boys, though I'd love to see Lydia Ainsworth and Marie Davidson. Schumin Capote, June 05, 2016, 02:14:56 am

A combination of archaic liquor laws and expensive taxis (almost as expensive as parking!) means nothing stays open late, and although we're one of the two Official Canadian Stops on big  American tours the non-top 40 acts are priced out of the downtown core where lots of entertainment happens. There are a billion dives with live music (340 is a good place to see punk shows) but we're increasingly a haves/have nots city.

Thanks for the recommendations, I definitely want to see the art gallery and the Museum of Anthropology. The latter seems to have an exhibit on the Papuan origins of Mac Tonight (see image below). Is Science World worth seeing or is it more geared towards kids? The Chinese Garden and Grouse mountain sound interesting. I'm also thinking of going whale watching or on some sort of boat tour for the novelty of being on a boat. It was 114 F/45 C today, so escaping the heat for a few days sounds nice.
whale watching is fun but it's not exactly the season for it I think? Being on a boat is cool and the tours only fire after they see a whale in the water. Hit Third beach and you might see one too. Science World is incredibly packed with kids but still really cool. It's good to go if you've got some other adults with you and don't mind kids but even better if you go during one of the 18+ Science World After Dark events (which, hey, have beer and wine!).

Check the totem poles at the MoA as well as the Bill Reid sculpture (a family friend runs the Bill Reid Gallery downtown which is also really nice. Sun-Yat Sen is really, really nice on a hot day.
Schumin Capote

Schumin Capote

• Paid
Hello Canada #25
I am preparing for my trip to Vancouver next weekend and I'm already coming across some subtle differences. Parking structures/garages are called parkades and you guys have holidays I've never heard of like May long weekend and October long weekend. When looking for things to do at Grouse Mountain, I came across two events that I am struggling to decide which is more Canadian:

• World Famous Lumberjack Show
  • Owl Interpretive Sessions

I am looking forward to observing the subtle differences between our two great nations.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 03:03:16 am by Schumin Capote »

chai tea latte

• Paid
Hello Canada #26
I am preparing for my trip to Vancouver next weekend and I'm already coming across some subtle differences. Parking structures/garages are called parkades and you guys have holidays I've never heard of like May long weekend and October long weekend. When looking for things to do at Grouse Mountain, I came across two events that I am struggling to decide which is more Canadian:

• World Famous Lumberjack Show
  • Owl Interpretive Sessions
Schumin Capote, June 25, 2016, 03:00:26 am

I've been to the Lumberjack Show, it's actually lots of fun. You could also detour to the Pumpjack, which is downtown, but it's a pretty different vibe.