Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:33:30 pm

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: 318: Wookiee Ookiee Ookiee  (Read 34995 times)

Cradicus

• Paid
318: Wookiee Ookiee Ookiee #75
In extended universe stuff it was theorized that the force was used subconsciously constantly during lightsaber combat to keep the practitioners from accidentally cutting off their own legs or whatever when swinging around a weapon that can cut through anything, as well as intercept and usefully deflect laser blasts. Now that I've written this I am full of shame.
Achilles' Heelies Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop ViviVixen Yavuz Salubrious Rex adrenochrome dome

Puppy Time

• Rainbow Brownshirt
  • Paid
  • AND THEN THEY'LL HAVE A DONKEY HEAD!
318: Wookiee Ookiee Ookiee #76
The biggest problem with the EU- and nerd discussion in general- is that the story is SUPPOSED to inspire questions of heroism and redemption and why Imperialism Bad, but apparently for a lot of fans the important thing to question is "Why would Han Solo say parsecs, which is a length measure? I MUST CLOSE THIS PLOT HOLE WITH SCIENCE! Which is definitely what the creators were focused on!"

One Of The Crappy Pokemon That Nobody Likes A Meat Wyst ViviVixen Yavuz Dawnswalker Shell Game Dr. Buttplug KingKalamari Salubrious Rex thelizzerd

moooo566 (taylor's version)

• Paid
318: Wookiee Ookiee Ookiee #77
Flizzards: A Hutt expletive, as in "just who in the flizzards are you?"[143]

What the…: Exclamation used all over the galaxy.[108]

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_phrases_and_slang/Legends
SHAMBA~1.SBB Yavuz Frank West Achilles' Heelies Salubrious Rex Monkey’s Paw Wish

SHAMBA~1.SBB

• I love dungs!!
  • Paid
  • ƨtupid cat
318: Wookiee Ookiee Ookiee #78
Achilles' Heelies GirlKisser420 Salubrious Rex Boots Raingear Yavuz Shell Game Antivehicular chai tea latte Monkey’s Paw Wish

xX_sp00ks_Xx

• Every corpse on Mount Everest
  • Paid
  • was once an extremely motivated person.
318: Wookiee Ookiee Ookiee #79
I get sad remembering the many lives lost during the American Cuy'val Dar. :(
Yavuz

Salubrious Rex

• Paid
318: Wookiee Ookiee Ookiee #80
Antivehicular Achilles' Heelies Wrought Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop Frank West Yavuz Dr. Buttplug Puppy Time SHAMBA~1.SBB KingKalamari 1234GO!

Achilles' Heelies

• Ridiculist
  • Intelligent Doggie Tracking System
318: Wookiee Ookiee Ookiee #81

Salubrious Rex, June 30, 2020, 12:53:05 am
What about the other 645 facts? Don't hold out!
Secret Gaygent 69 Monkey’s Paw Wish

Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop

• Trill Lesh
  • Paid
  • 12 cellphones and I look like kurt angle
318: Wookiee Ookiee Ookiee #82

Salubrious Rex, June 30, 2020, 12:53:05 am
Darth Sidious sounds like a sports talk radio host who remembers the "9 to 5" lightsaber combat of years past
chai tea latte

Sauce

• Common-gender prole
  • Paid
  • Screw it, I'll go with they/them
318: Wookiee Ookiee Ookiee #83
In the course of running a Star Wars RPG for some friends, I was reminded of the best piece of official Star Wars art in existence.

Enjoy.

Salubrious Rex Achilles' Heelies Penultimatum Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop 1234GO! KingKalamari xdaringdamselx A Meat Great Joe Dr. Buttplug RoeCocoa Monkey’s Paw Wish adrenochrome dome

Glitterbomber

• Paid
318: Wookiee Ookiee Ookiee #84
and now I, the star wars nerd, must come in to say those otter people are respected members of Corellian society, which means that whenever you read about Han Solo's cool smuggler homeworld like 25% of the local population is just big otter people. They're not even the typical faux-mystic kinda racist noble savage tropes, otter people just, like, do their taxes and go to their jobs at the ship factory and shit.
Antivehicular Salubrious Rex RoeCocoa Sauce Penultimatum adrenochrome dome Dr. Buttplug chai tea latte xdaringdamselx

VerifiedFailure

• Paid
318: Wookiee Ookiee Ookiee #85
This episode killed me when I listened to it, and reading through this thread killed me again. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I found something that seemed amusingly similar.

So, I googled Vulcans from Star Trek and the first thing that came up was a fandom wiki link, which I clicked. I saw that the term "emotion" had it's own page and thought back to this episode of the F Plus. Of course, I wanted to know what emotions are in the Star Trek universe (apparently 'An emotion, or emotional state, is a physical state which can either be a response to an external stimuli or the product of a memory. The state can either be positive or negative. In sentient species, the emotion can trigger a feeling. Emotions can be observed through facial expressions and body language. (TNG: "Shades of Gray", "Data's Day").' I've never seen Star Trek Next Generation, but I sure am glad that it devoted a few episodes to covering what emotions are, or we might not know what exactly that term means in the Star Trek universe.

The reason I posted here, though, is that it also has a list of emotional states. Some of which have their own pages. The pages for individual emotions all follow the same format: a few sentences to describe the emotion, then a series of disjointed paragraphs describing episodes in Star Trek in which that emotion was present. Most of the pages just seem to refer to other emotions in their descriptions. For example, the page for frustration refers to annoyance, which itself has a page that refers to irritation and anger, each of which have their own pages which refers to annoyance. Others have circular definitions, for example: "Protectiveness was an emotion characterized by being protective of another individual."

Anger and rage are included separately in the list of emotions, but both redirect to the page on anger (images for this page: Nog_angry.jpg and Khan!!!.jpg)

Optimism is listed as an emotion, but pessimism is not. Similarly, "motherhood" is listed as an emotion, but fatherhood is not. After imagining someone saying that she was feeling motherhood today and giggling to myself like the idiot that I am, I clicked that on that link and found that it actually went to the "parent" article, subsection "mother." It turns out that the terms mother and mommy have been known since the original series, but fans were forced to wait until Star Trek Next Generation to learn what the french call their "maternal parents." I wonder when they'll get around to the other languages.

Shock is listed as an emotion. It redirects to a page that describes shock as a medical condition, but then lists what seems to be every example in Star Trek in which someone has either been emotionally shocked or physically gone into shock.

Rejection is listed as an emotion, but links to a page dedicated to transplant rejection.

Anyways, link if anyone here is confused about what emotions are in Star Trek and is just dying to know https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Emotion

Again, sorry if this is the wrong place to post it.
Antivehicular chai tea latte Frank West Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop Salubrious Rex RoeCocoa Achilles' Heelies Dr. Buttplug Lemon Boots Raingear xX_sp00ks_Xx

Achilles' Heelies

• Ridiculist
  • Intelligent Doggie Tracking System
318: Wookiee Ookiee Ookiee #86
This episode killed me when I listened to it, and reading through this thread killed me again. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I found something that seemed amusingly similar.

So, I googled Vulcans from Star Trek and the first thing that came up was a fandom wiki link, which I clicked. I saw that the term "emotion" had it's own page and thought back to this episode of the F Plus. Of course, I wanted to know what emotions are in the Star Trek universe (apparently 'An emotion, or emotional state, is a physical state which can either be a response to an external stimuli or the product of a memory. The state can either be positive or negative. In sentient species, the emotion can trigger a feeling. Emotions can be observed through facial expressions and body language. (TNG: "Shades of Gray", "Data's Day").' I've never seen Star Trek Next Generation, but I sure am glad that it devoted a few episodes to covering what emotions are, or we might not know what exactly that term means in the Star Trek universe.

The reason I posted here, though, is that it also has a list of emotional states. Some of which have their own pages. The pages for individual emotions all follow the same format: a few sentences to describe the emotion, then a series of disjointed paragraphs describing episodes in Star Trek in which that emotion was present. Most of the pages just seem to refer to other emotions in their descriptions. For example, the page for frustration refers to annoyance, which itself has a page that refers to irritation and anger, each of which have their own pages which refers to annoyance. Others have circular definitions, for example: "Protectiveness was an emotion characterized by being protective of another individual."

Anger and rage are included separately in the list of emotions, but both redirect to the page on anger (images for this page: Nog_angry.jpg and Khan!!!.jpg)

Optimism is listed as an emotion, but pessimism is not. Similarly, "motherhood" is listed as an emotion, but fatherhood is not. After imagining someone saying that she was feeling motherhood today and giggling to myself like the idiot that I am, I clicked that on that link and found that it actually went to the "parent" article, subsection "mother." It turns out that the terms mother and mommy have been known since the original series, but fans were forced to wait until Star Trek Next Generation to learn what the french call their "maternal parents." I wonder when they'll get around to the other languages.

Shock is listed as an emotion. It redirects to a page that describes shock as a medical condition, but then lists what seems to be every example in Star Trek in which someone has either been emotionally shocked or physically gone into shock.

Rejection is listed as an emotion, but links to a page dedicated to transplant rejection.

Anyways, link if anyone here is confused about what emotions are in Star Trek and is just dying to know https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Emotion

Again, sorry if this is the wrong place to post it.
VerifiedFailure, May 23, 2021, 04:16:59 pm
Don't be sorry, this is the good shit.
Dr. Buttplug

Dr. Buttplug

• Formerly Jackal Flapnasty
  • Paid
  • Legendary Jizz-Wailer
318: Wookiee Ookiee Ookiee #87

VerifiedFailure, May 23, 2021, 04:16:59 pm

I like to think some Star Trek fan thinks the two are linked. Like if you heard Riverdale spoilers that were juicy enough your body would go into shock.
VerifiedFailure

VerifiedFailure

• Paid
318: Wookiee Ookiee Ookiee #88
Well if this is the right place to post it, I am happy to further inform you that the Star Trek wiki also has a page on religion, which says that "The primary faiths of Earth were considered to include Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Shinto, and Wicca. During Doctor Phlox's stay on Earth, he made a point of studying a number of Earth religions, including Buddhism, Hinduism and Christianity. (DIS: "New Eden"; ENT: "Cold Front")".

Wicca even has its own page, which says "Wicca was a Human religion, one of Earth's primary faiths as of the mid-21st century. It was often symbolized by a pentacle."

Wikipedia's list of religious populations for 2020 lists Neo-Paganism as the 20th largest grouping out of 22 listed categories, at 0.01% of the population (1 million people). I'm so disappointed that the Wiki doesn't go into the Star Trek Great Wiccan Revival that apparently catapulted it from a weird fringe group to one of humanity's "primary faiths."

The "human religion" page also has a background information section with a subheading "Star Trek as religion." The first bullet point on that list reads:
The 1999 book Star Trek and Sacred Ground, particularly the essay "Star Trek Fandom as a Religious Phenomenon", discussed how themes in Star Trek "relate to a philosophy of life that fans will commit themselves to," describing "Star Trek as folk religion." Conventions are compared to "religious pilgrimages."
xdaringdamselx chai tea latte

Antivehicular

• she/her
  • Paid
  • ridin' high in my supervan
318: Wookiee Ookiee Ookiee #89
Goddamn, I love fandom wikis trying to explain real-world things as if they were SF concepts, especially when it reveals that they know less about basic human emotions than they do complicated fandom esoterica

Anyway, I'm gonna assume that the Great Wicca Revival happened in the Star Trek universe once post-scarcity tech allowed everyone a supply of high-energy crystals. We just never see anyone replicating fresh rose quartz for their chakra healing on camera, that's all.
VerifiedFailure