Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:47:45 am

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Episode 133: Coldmouth Strikes Again  (Read 28002 times)

Isfahan

• Ask me about AKs.
  • Ridiculist
  • Trouble with customers? Isfahano cares.
Episode 133: Coldmouth Strikes Again #15
I am actually barely into listening to this episode but I just had to say, it is the weirdest experience for me to listen to this because I've legitimately chewed ice since I was a kid and until now I didn't realize it was considered a form of pica and was related to iron deficiency. I just knew that there were people, as in this episode, who considered it like a huge lifestyle choice/fetish thing, and even as someone who chews ice I found those people pretty weird, because even if I casually enjoy it, the idea of considering it as a huge part of your life/personality seemed super bizarre to me. (plus it's something I try not to do on a regular basis since I already have enough issues with my jaw, since I tend to clench it in my sleep and when I'm stressing.)
Tiny Prancer, April 14, 2014, 02:31:36 am

I've chewed ice before too, but mostly because my drink was gone yet I still wanted some refreshment or was bored. The folks we read from either had a quantifiable medical problem or were exhibiting legit addictive behavior. If you've never cleaned out an entire office building's worth of ice just for yourself or physically attacked someone over hiding ice trays, you're probably all right.

I don't know what your life situation is, but if the ice-chewing thing feels at all like a compulsion—like you can't even look at ice without wanting to chew some—then you might want to pursue some blood work to see if you need iron supplements. Based on fruit power's story and on some of the posts we read, supplementing iron seems to make the ice-chewing compulsion go away extremely quickly.

Tiny Prancer

• Tiny and angry
  • Paid
  • please be more respectable to physics
Episode 133: Coldmouth Strikes Again #16
It's more of a thing I do when there's ice left in my drink, but I have genuinely given consideration to ice texture preference shit before so who knows. (the idea of absolutely HAVING to do it or wanting to eat the ice collecting inside the freezer or being compelled to eat all the snow on a mountain has never happened though, and I hope it never does.)

fruit power

• Paid
Episode 133: Coldmouth Strikes Again #17
It's more of a thing I do when there's ice left in my drink, but I have genuinely given consideration to ice texture preference shit before so who knows. (the idea of absolutely HAVING to do it or wanting to eat the ice collecting inside the freezer or being compelled to eat all the snow on a mountain has never happened though, and I hope it never does.)
Tiny Prancer, April 14, 2014, 11:03:25 am

What you describe sounds more like a comforting/nervous habit kind of thing, like chewing on pencils or twirling your hair.  If you aren't thinking about when you'll get your next ice fix, you're probably fine, except for the fact that it's bad for your teeth. 

The best way I can describe pica is that it's like falling in love. That obsessive kind of love/crush that you get especially when you are young. It comes at you from out of nowhere and takes over your entire being. So I can kind of get how people who have it might turn it into a fetish. It is overwhelming!

The physical act of chewing ice was not really part of it for me. It was just consuming ice that mattered. Sucking on ice was perfectly fine and what I preferred since I have a few fragile molars. I actually wanted Sonic ice because it breaks apart easily. It does not surprise me at all to hear it mentioned on the podcast readings.

Sonic ice, btw, is very popular in certain places like Texas, and people go there to buy bags of it to put in coolers like they might buy bags of ice at the gas station or grocery store. That's a good way to mask a pica problem.

Boots Raingear

• BBQ Man-Pop
  • Administrator
  • CEO of Victor's basement
Episode 133: Coldmouth Strikes Again #18
Here's a WSJ article on ice munching that brings up Sonic, icechewing.com, and Vince Gill.

MyFaceBeHi

• Second worst joke person
  • Paid
Episode 133: Coldmouth Strikes Again #19
For some reason when I saw the episode title I was expecting a Morrisey/Frozen crossover fan fiction and now that I've listened to the episode I'm not sure which is better.

Lemon

• Whatever happened to Freedom of Speech?
  • Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
Episode 133: Coldmouth Strikes Again #20
For some reason when I saw the episode title I was expecting a Morrisey/Frozen crossover fan fiction and now that I've listened to the episode I'm not sure which is better.
MyFaceBeHi, April 16, 2014, 09:12:03 am

Sweetness. Sweetness, I was only joking when I said I'd like to eat every cube in your fridge.

🍆

• Spongy Wood Witch
  • Paid
  • Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge cunt
Episode 133: Coldmouth Strikes Again #21
♪ And now I know how Ernest Shackleton felt... ♪
Lemon

MyFaceBeHi

• Paid
Episode 133: Coldmouth Strikes Again #22
As the ice went into my mouth all the ice cubes started to melt
Lemon

Adam Bozarth

• Your friend on the internet
  • Ridiculist
  • [File Photo]
Episode 133: Coldmouth Strikes Again #23
I think we are starting to reference The Sopranos more than Blackstreet, House of Leaves, and Metal Gear combined.

Ambious

Episode 133: Coldmouth Strikes Again #24

I'm willing to bet that also exists, and if it doesn't, it soon will.

MyFaceBeHi

• Paid
Episode 133: Coldmouth Strikes Again #25

I'm willing to bet that also exists, and if it doesn't, it soon will.
Ambious, April 19, 2014, 04:17:25 am

Well it isn't quite the crossover fanfiction buuuuuuttttttttt...!

Edit: I may have just stumbles upon a goldmine here!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 01:22:04 pm by MyFaceBeHi »

Really_Quite_Nice

• "Do I look like the kind of man who goes to wicked parties?"
  • Paid
  • Every time I've built character, I've regretted it
Episode 133: Coldmouth Strikes Again #26
Lemon

Shell Game

• Showrunner of Extra Credit
  • Paid
  • Rex Morgan knows about Pretty Cure. Look it up.
Episode 133: Coldmouth Strikes Again #27

Really_Quite_Nice, April 30, 2017, 07:09:49 pm
The level of obsession gives me chills.

Fatty Bo Batty

• Adult Baby Protective Services Officer
  • Paid
  • Is good to make a posting
Episode 133: Coldmouth Strikes Again #28

Really_Quite_Nice, April 30, 2017, 07:09:49 pm
The level of obsession gives me chills.
Shell Game, May 01, 2017, 10:38:51 pm

Nah, pretty sure that's the ice.

Lemon

• Whatever happened to Freedom of Speech?
  • Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
Episode 133: Coldmouth Strikes Again #29
Achilles' Heelies Sherman Tank Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop Fatty Bo Batty Shell Game