Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:39:40 pm

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Washing dishes  (Read 4754 times)

KingKalamari

• Cephalopod Enthusiast
  • Paid
  • It's Samba time for Tambo & Weep Day for Urine Man
Washing dishes
Okay for those of us without a dishwasher my question is thus: How do you wash your dishes.

So the way I've always done them and the way everyone in my family has always done them is you keep them off to the side, fill the sink with hot, soapy water, put the dishes in the sink individually, dunk them underwater and scrub and then rinse them in the other sink.

So I noticed today my roommate doesn't wash her dishes like that: She fills one sink with water and puts all the dishes in there at once, lets them soak for a bit then runs the water in the other sink without filling it. She sprays some dish soap on a sponge, takes a dish out of the other sink and then scrubs it under the running water.

We got to talking about the difference in the way we do dishes and she insists the way she does them is the way everyone does them and my way is the odd one but I've pretty much never seen someone else do dishes the way she does.

My question to you is: How do you do dishes and which of the two of us is the odd one out?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 07:15:08 pm by KingKalamari »

Tiny Prancer

• Tiny and angry
  • Paid
  • please be more respectable to physics
Washing dishes #1
if I have to do dishes by hand, my technique is to soak stuff that's especially greasy or has things caked on by filling the offending dishes/bowls with soapy water and then rinsing/cleaning things when things aren't as caked on by using soap and a sponge under running water, although what I do in general is to rinse out stuff and try to clean off the worst of the grease when I leave stuff in the sink because it means I don't have to try to get if off when it dries. ("but tiny prancer", you ask, "why not just clean those dishes right then and there?" well, the answer is that I make poor decisions about how to deal with things.)

I had a roommate who would keep one side of the sink filled with water all time time and leave the dishes in that and I haaaated that because then all the grease and food particles were floating around in that and I had to stick my hand in to get things out and it was so gross.

nigeline

• Willy Dang Doodle
  • Paid
  • All you do is dump
Washing dishes #2
I just don't.
strifeheart

Ike

• Paid
  • these colors keep me awake at night
Washing dishes #3
I just don't.
nigeline, August 18, 2014, 08:33:51 pm

Just order everything in styrofoam take-out. Buy a large soda at McDonald's and keep the plastic cup, rinse it out until it gets gross and then get another. It's that easy!

(don't actually do this)

montrith

• Petrodactyl Spotter
  • Internaut
  • You must be this tall to ride
Washing dishes #4
Two words: Frozen pizza. You'll only ever need the one plate, provided you drink straight from the carton.

TacoChillocko

• Wish I was little bit smaller, wish I was an iguana, wish I had a rock with a lamp so I could chill when I wanna
  • Paid
Washing dishes #5
I stack the dishes into one another in the sink, fill the dishes with soapy water and then start scrubbing under a small stream of running water. The trick is to use really hot water at first, but it takes some time to get used to.

goombapolice

• a muscular, cum producing MONSTER
  • Paid
Washing dishes #6
Pro-tip: Don't make dirty dishes.

I put all of my leftovers in plastic bags and eat straight out of them.

Fatty Bo Batty

• Adult Baby Protective Services Officer
  • Paid
  • Is good to make a posting
Washing dishes #7
Don't put taco in a bag!!!
Adept

Psammetichus

• ᕕ(⊙ω⊙)ᕗ
  • Paid
  • O damn'd Sonic! O inhuman hog!
Washing dishes #8
Speaking as a professional (heh) who washed dishes six straight hours a night, six days a week, for four straight summers at a Taco Bell / KFC, there is a proper way to do dishes, and an improper way.

First: spray your dishes off with extremely hot water, trying to get all the major particles off.
Two: in a sink filled with soapy, scalding water (as hot as you can stand), put the sprayed-off dishes.
Three: let soak for as long as needed.
Four: take each dish from the hot, soapy water and scrub with a green scratch-pad in a side sink running straight cold water
Five: if you can't scrub all the crap off, return to hot, soapy water and grab another dish
Six: if you do scrub all the crap off, rise the dish under the cold running water and get it sparking clean
Seven: put in third sink (with water, doesn't matter what temp.) or on counter to air-dry

For things especially greasy, use the above method but let them soak in a super-hot (hotter than you can stand to touch), super-soapy sink all by themselves; if you mix them with other non-greasy dishes you'll just get the grease on the non-greasy dishes and make your job 1,000% harder.

They key is to spray out the dishes before hand and get as much crap free as possible; I had co-workers who would just throw dishes with food still in them into the sink and that eventually leads to just a swamp of water-logged food shit.

Also useful: cleaning chemicals; liquid ones can be okay, but I prefer the heavier, thicker cleaners, esp. if they have granules in them; power-based chems like Comet are also good, applied directly and mixed with small amounts of hot water.

The only problem with this method is the combination of near-scalding water and chemicals will destroy the skin on your hands; for the first summer of almost non-stop dish washing, at times I could barely clench my fingers because the skin had hardened so badly. And then layers of your skin will peel off, and you'll loose the upper layers of the dermis which insulate your fingers, and your skin will be so thin that the warmth from putting your hand on your cheek will feel like you're putting your hand on a stove. But eventually you'll get over all that.

So that's how you do dishes.

Odd

• Paid
Washing dishes #9
Lick them clean. But only your own. You can't lick other people's plates, that would be unhygienic. For those plates you let the dog do it.