Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:31:39 pm

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Question for Finns  (Read 47061 times)

montrith

• Petrodactyl Spotter
  • Internaut
  • You must be this tall to ride
Question for Finns #15
Well, how long does a sauna soak last at that temperature? Is it short? In the US people will sit in a low-temperature (by Scandinavian standards) sauna for anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour.
Isfahan, June 18, 2014, 01:21:32 pm

You're supposed to do it in episodes. First 10 minutes in the sauna, then you go out and swim, then you go back inside and repeat this for a few hours. That's the traditional way anyway, if it's more like a modern sauna then it's usually something like 10-20 minutes and a shower afterwards.

Goose Goose Honk At Me Now

• Can I offer you a Lorna Doone?
  • Paid
  • You have a very flexible torso.
Question for Finns #16
So is birth magic something that's performed during labor or pregnancy, or before/after? Are Finns so metal that they enter the world surrounded by the heat of a hundred hells?

montrith

• Petrodactyl Spotter
  • Internaut
Question for Finns #17
Actually, giving birth in a sauna used to be common place. It was hygienic and also considered spiritually safe for the baby, since newborns only had a part of their "soul" together when they were born and were vulnerable to evil spirits and whatnot.

Though I think the sauna would probably be cooler than for serious bathing.

Isfahan

• Ask me about AKs.
  • Ridiculist
  • Trouble with customers? Isfahano cares.
Question for Finns #18
Something I've heard more than once is that the sudden cold of a delivery room compared to the mother's womb is traumatic for a newborn. I could see that being the case. Perhaps a sauna would be more comfortable for their first moments on the outside.

Lemon

• Whatever happened to Freedom of Speech?
  • Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
Question for Finns #19
Something I've heard more than once is that the sudden cold of a delivery room compared to the mother's womb is traumatic for a newborn. I could see that being the case. Perhaps a sauna would be more comfortable for their first moments on the outside.
Isfahan, June 18, 2014, 09:32:15 pm

I think a newborn baby has a whole lot of weird shit they have to adjust to immediately. They don't breathe the same way, their food line has been cut, and what was once dark red shapes and blobs is now shiny, vibrant colors with crystal clear sound attached to them. A 20 degree drop in temperature is probably not the system shock.

crow

• Paid
  • get smoked
Question for Finns #20
How many days a week do you have to contend with trolls attacking your home?

montrith

• Petrodactyl Spotter
  • Internaut
Question for Finns #21
Smoking Crow, June 19, 2014, 10:54:45 am

Silly person, everyone knows trolls only attack during the night.

Isfahan

• Ask me about AKs.
  • Ridiculist
Question for Finns #22
Well if heavy-metal bands would stop summoning them during concerts, you Finns could avoid the problem entirely.

crow

• Paid
  • get smoked
Question for Finns #23
Smoking Crow, June 19, 2014, 10:54:45 am

Silly person, everyone knows trolls only attack during the night.
montrith, June 19, 2014, 11:48:57 am

I forgot, I haven't seen Trollhunter in a while.

Also, Finnish isn't an Indo-European language.  Are you all elves or aliens?

Tiny Prancer

• Tiny and angry
  • Paid
  • please be more respectable to physics
Question for Finns #24
Isfahan, June 18, 2014, 09:32:15 pm

I think a newborn baby has a whole lot of weird shit they have to adjust to immediately. They don't breathe the same way, their food line has been cut, and what was once dark red shapes and blobs is now shiny, vibrant colors with crystal clear sound attached to them. A 20 degree drop in temperature is probably not the system shock.
Lemon, June 19, 2014, 09:30:46 am

I have a lot of sympathy for babies (although I do not want one myself) because for the first few years or so of their existence everything is a confusing mess of noises and colors and sensations. No wonder babies cry a lot.

montrith

• Petrodactyl Spotter
  • Internaut
Question for Finns #25
I don't know about aliens, but Tolkien did base elvish partly on Finnish grammar and vocabulary. Take from that what you will.

Isfahan

• Ask me about AKs.
  • Ridiculist
Question for Finns #26
He was a huge fan of The Kalevala, too, so I'm sure that had more than a little to do with it. He, like me and the Finns, also apparently believed that words look better with diaereses over all the vowels ever.

montrith

• Petrodactyl Spotter
  • Internaut
Question for Finns #27
He was a huge fan of The Kalevala, too, so I'm sure that had more than a little to do with it. He, like me and the Finns, also apparently believed that words look better with diaereses over all the vowels ever.
Isfahan, June 20, 2014, 01:24:13 pm

Näin on näreet.

crow

• Paid
  • get smoked
Question for Finns #28
Does Finland even exist?  I've never seen Finland in the news, and I've only heard people that say they're from Finland, but never seen one.  Is Finland real, or is it like Atlantis?

Cheapskate

• Persnickety fussbudget
  • Paid
Question for Finns #29
My understanding is that Finland is a place that has a language that isn't related to anyone else's in the immediate vicinity, spent its entire history getting shoved around by its larger neighbors, is extraordinarily cold in the winter, makes a lot of cell phones, is famous for alcoholism, and had a big chunk of its territory stolen by Communists.

So Finland is the Korea of Europe.
chai tea latte