Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 06:21:52 am

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: I want to cause physical harm to Wayne LaPierre.  (Read 43268 times)

Isfahan

• Ask me about AKs.
  • Ridiculist
  • Trouble with customers? Isfahano cares.
You of all people should know better than to trot this one out.  I know that you know better than to believe that a pile of rednecks with AR-15s have the ability to violently oppose their government in any way that doesn't end in tragedy.Victor Laszlo, April 03, 2013, 11:41:26 am

The point isn't to win, it's to resist. It's fatalistic to say so, but it's the ugly core of the matter. Combat is a goddamn tragedy factory.

This is the entire point.  A gun capable of murdering 30 kindergarteners in a small amount of time was purchased legally.  If you think that's okay then we are starting pretty far apart.  Had that gun not been legally for sale then the specific tragedy in question would have had a harder time occurring.  Which is something some of us find desirable.  He could have gone in there with pistols, but odds are he wouldn't have clipped 30 kids before someone tackled him.  We can't prevent all shootings, but we can probably significantly reduce the number of mass casualty events that take place, and that is a worthy goal to me if only because if someone brought 30 shot-up kindergarteners into my ER I would probably develop an incurable drinking problem and I don't want that to happen.

Yeah, alcohol is pretty pointless. Why does anyone need nearly two liters of sour mash whiskey? Only a person with immoral intentions would seriously consider purchasing those high-capacity bottles. If they weren't available, you'd have a harder time cultivating a drinking habit.

This is the hard part. The tragedy could have been prevented any number of ways. Banning guns is the way which happens to affect the most people not directly involved in the tragedy. Non-gun-owners will certainly be fine with it because, hey, no skin off their nose, right? But if the government can ban one thing, they can ban others, and sooner or later they'll get around to banning something you do give a shit about, and from promptings a lot less clear-cut than a mass-casualty event.

You're right, gun laws are a total failure.

Gun laws will always be a total failure, because greater than zero people will be shot in the United States every year no matter what does or does not get passed. Nobody will be happy with them ever, just for different reasons.

When was the last time, in a non-military setting, you fired a gun with a 30-round clip to assure your own safety?  In that setting, would a .38 special have done the trick, or did you need all thirty bullets to be fired within a few seconds without taking time to reload?

Never! I've managed to own five rifles and one pistol for the past six years without ever discharging any of them into a human face. But that's the necessity argument again. The bottom line is that I'm allowed to own what I own, and I'm breaking no laws in doing so. If I go to sleep on a given night and wake up the next morning as a criminal, it will have been because someone first took a wide black marker to the Bill of Rights and decided I couldn't be trusted.

montrith

• Petrodactyl Spotter
  • Internaut
  • You must be this tall to ride
The bottom line is that I'm allowed to own what I own, and I'm breaking no laws in doing so. If I go to sleep on a given night and wake up the next morning as a criminal, it will have been because someone first took a wide black marker to the Bill of Rights and decided I couldn't be trusted.

Oh, it's not YOU we don't trust. It's this guy.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-DtYJxraBpT0/UQ90Bcf_F7I/AAAAAAAAFPg/AakrwRRABdg/s1600/Gun+Nut.jpg (inline image removed by Lemon)

If I may offer a different perspective here, I do find the idea of "We need guns to protect us from our government" completely strange. Most people who argue for gun ownership here are hunters first and foremost, and I don't think I've ever met someone who owns a gun for self-defense purposes. I do know a few people, however, who've violently attacked other people, and I'm pretty happy these people didn't have guns when they went off the deep end. Only one guy I knew actually did manage to get a hold of a gun, and I think he even managed to shoot someone, since the police called my dad and asked if the person in question had ever handled the gun in our house. The Finnish government these days I think requires all gun-owners to go through basic gun-safety training and mental evaluation, be a member of a shooting society (hobby or hunting oriented) and keep all guns unloaded and under lock and key when not in use. I am perfectly happy with this system. It's not foolproof, but so far it's kept some people I know who shouldn't have a gun from having a gun.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's okay to let people have guns. It's just not okay to let people have guns just because they think they should have guns. A classmate of mine chased his mom out of the house after hitting his dad with an axe. I'm pretty sure he doesn't need a gun, even if he wants one.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 08:01:47 pm by Lemon »

icarus

• orko in training
  • Paid
  • a very special episode

AUAGHHH MY EYES

Moriarty

• Paid

[that wonderful picture]
montrith, April 03, 2013, 03:58:49 pm

But that guy appears to be on the verge of preventing himself from ever being responsible for a child, and none of it would be possible without that gun he's holding. That picture is practically an argument for mandatory gun ownership.

Alpha Starsquatch

• bigfoot conservationist
  • Paid
  • back alley veterinarian
In Switzerland, everyone is required to own a gun and (until recently, I believe) soldiers were allowed to keep relatively powerful weapons from their time in service.
Al, April 03, 2013, 12:40:46 pm
You may want to check your sources on this.
Boots Raingear, April 03, 2013, 01:26:15 pm

I went back to the BBC article where I thought I'd gotten this info but nope, wasn't there. I'm not sure where I got that particular idea but thanks for pointing out the error.

Isfahan

• Ask me about AKs.
  • Ridiculist
If I may offer a different perspective here, I do find the idea of "We need guns to protect us from our government" completely strange.montrith, April 03, 2013, 03:58:49 pm

It's less strange for Libyans and Syrians.

montrith

• Petrodactyl Spotter
  • Internaut
  • You must be this tall to ride
Hold on a sec, let me check something.

Nope. Still living in Finland, not Libya or Syria. If I ever move to either of those countries I'll keep you informed on my new perspective on the issue. Until then, I'm just glad that in my country we don't have to be scared of our government.

Isfahan

• Ask me about AKs.
  • Ridiculist
Apparently it is me who cannot be trusted, because when it comes time to ban guns, both me and that Internet-famous weirdo hairball up above will be treated the same, even though between us we've carried out zero massacres. So I'm stripped of a hobby of safely shooting guns I legally purchased because the very fact that I would want to own a gun means I'm a backwards sub-human, obviously up to no good, who has only the worst of intentions since no honest man should want to own something which makes such yucky thinkings happen in our feeling-place.

icarus

• orko in training
  • Paid
  • a very special episode
not touching theeeeeeee rest of the gun debate

isfahan, how do you feel about gun dealers being more careful about tracking who/where/when they sell a gun? like, not a searchable database for public use, but at least a record for where guns are. like how you gotta register a car, and cops/dealers only access it when they have good cause to. cause as i understand it now, a lot of states don't even require legit legal gun shops to keep inventory. and that's...kinda screwy? and dangerous? i mean even liquor stores keep an inventory.

a registration database from my point of view might cut down on stuff like stolen gun sales. car registration helped some with car theft. i mean it's still there, but it's less of a rampant issue. and moreso, you don't wind up with like shady guys who have clean records but buy guns to resell them illegally to people who DON'T have clean records. like say some dude has a tiny apartment but winds up registering 700 semi-automatic rifles to it. he's probably not living with all 700 of them in his tiny place. it'd seem kinda worth looking into as a ATF officer, right?

i know some people get really like AAAAAA about the idea of keeping more careful track of gun sales, but i'm kinda head-scratching as to why. it wouldn't be preventing you from buying a new gun, or preventing anyone from selling you a gun. is it just about government being in personal business?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 06:44:18 pm by icarus »

Yossarian

• Sophisticated Sophistry
  • Paid
  • No one tell Hitler!
The problem with gun laws is that despite 99.9999% of gun owners being perfectly responsible with them its that tiny percentile that everyone hears about and sees.
Personally I think a registry is a good thing for certain kinds of firearms, however what if for instance Syrians or Libyans had to register their firearms. That would make for a nice reprisal list in the event of some bullshit. By all means if someone has 300 rifles registered to their name and cant seem to find them within, oh say 30 seconds, then we have an issue that this list would be good for.
The whole fatalistic resistance of the government aspect is a shitty one, but a valid one. For instance in Vietnam a portion of the fighting was done by civilian rebels with semi automatic rifles, one still found around the world today, even in America. I speak of the SKS. A handful of people who know the land armed with whatever they can get a hold of can wreak havoc with enough traps and ingenuity. Now god forbid we ever have to resist the American government, but hypothetically speaking. Lets say that China and North Korea do a little tango and suddenly the mainland is invaded. A tragedy to be sure, but I damn sure would want an AR-15, a FAL, or even a bloody Mosin Nagant, anything I could get my hands on would be better than waiting it out.
You don't have to like gun culture, you don't have to own a gun, but a lot of Americans do. Its in the constitution for a reason.

Isfahan

• Ask me about AKs.
  • Ridiculist
isfahan, how do you feel about gun dealers tracking who/where/when they sell a gun? like, not a searchable database for public use, but at least a public record for where guns are. like how you gotta register a car, and cops/dealers only access it when they have good cause to.icarus, April 03, 2013, 06:36:37 pm

Federal Firearms License holders (usually just called FFLs) are required by law as a condition of their license to keep a record of every gun for which they perform a transfer, in addition to the federal background-check paperwork (NICS) and any special state paperwork required for a transfer. As you might imagine, this paperwork is signed and dated and initialed all to hell, in addition to addresses of residence and driver's license numbers recorded. I'm only familiar with the requirements in my home state, but for regulated firearms—which are all handguns and semi-automatic long guns—there's the NICS background check and corresponding Form 4473 (this is done for all transfers nationwide via FFL), the state background check and form for the transfer, and the mental-health affidavit implemented after Virginia Tech. The affidavit seems like a silly measure, because of course a crazy person who wants a gun is either not at an FFL in the first place or is going to swear to a piece of paper they're not crazy anyway, but it's more of a legal CYA for the FFLs than any real attempt to curb sales to crazies. Anyway, FFLs are required to keep a registry—like, actual binders and shit—of all these white-copy forms and be able to produce it for the ATF for inspection at any time.

cause from my point of view, it'd cut down on stuff like stolen gun sales. car registration helped some with car theft. i mean it's still there, but it's less of a rampant issue. and moreso, you don't wind up with like shady guys who have clean records but buy guns to resell them illegally to people who DON'T have clean records. like say some dude has a tiny apartment but winds up registering 700 semi-automatic rifles to it. he's probably not living with all 700 of them in his tiny place. it'd seem kinda worth looking into, right?

In Maryland there's a seven-day waiting period on regulated firearms between transfer (not purchase) and pickup which is built-in to the background-check process. On top of that, you cannot purchase more than one regulated firearm per 30-day period, ostensibly to prevent stockpiling like how you described. Not all states are like that, though. The practice you're describing is called a straw purchase, and it is indeed quite illegal. You have to affirm on your NICS paperwork that you are not performing a straw purchase, again a legal CYA. High-volume purchases by individuals (the exact amount varies by state) or numerous purchases occurring within a short time will bring up a red flag with NICS to investigate possible trafficking behavior.

i know some people get really like AAAAAA about the idea of keeping more careful track of gun sales, but i'm kinda head-scratching as to why. it wouldn't be preventing you from buying a new gun, or preventing anyone from selling you a gun. is it just about government being in personal business?

The reason people get AAAAAA about a federal-level firearms registry is because it's seen as slippery-slope legislation towards gun confiscation: authorities would have a ready-to-go list of guns and addresses they can visit and demand the surrender of guns X, Y, and Z, which are on record as being located here. If the owner cannot or will not produce the firearms, that's an arrest. In practice, of course, this would be an undertaking of such logistical heft that it would take years to pull off in addition to cramming probably thousands of people into prison. There are hundreds of millions of guns in the US spread across tens of millions of households.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 07:20:39 pm by Isfahan »

Runic

• Is Putting A Donk On It
  • Paid
  • John Brown did nothing wrong
The thing is, nobody is talking about gun confiscation.  There is zero political support for an all out gun ban, even post Newtown.  That is simply a strawman.  Americans, in general, don't want to ban guns outright.  That's not the policy that is being discussed, and given the constitutional protections in place I seriously doubt that banning of things like high capacity mags, or even semi-automatic rifles will really act as a slippery slope to it.

Isfahan

• Ask me about AKs.
  • Ridiculist
The thing is, nobody is talking about gun confiscation.  There is zero political support for an all out gun ban, even post Newtown.  That is simply a strawman.  Americans, in general, don't want to ban guns outright.  That's not the policy that is being discussed, and given the constitutional protections in place I seriously doubt that banning of things like high capacity mags, or even semi-automatic rifles will really act as a slippery slope to it.
Runic, April 03, 2013, 07:22:35 pm

I was simply explaining why some gun owners wouldn't get behind registration. They perceive it's the first step which will eventually lead to confiscation. I made no claims as to its likelihood, and I even pointed out how infeasible it would be to actually carry out. They're just the fears some gun owners have, founded or not.

icarus

• orko in training
  • Paid
  • a very special episode
how about local or state gun buyback programs?

i mean that seems pretty cut & dry, right? people willingly no longer desire their fire-arms, and so willingly give them up. they know they're going somewhere safe, to authorities who know how to handle them.  do they bug you? do you think it'd be more fair if the government didn't offer the shelf price for the gun, and thus made it more of a serious choice for the owner or somethin?

i'm just thinkin of this because of the daily show segment, i'll be honest. the guy who stepped in with his local NRA-esque chapter and instigated a private buyback at higher prices WITHOUT checking backgrounds/exchanging licenses/whatever other normal red tape there is really kinda pissed me off. just the fact that he was like YEAH I REALLY STUCK IT TO THOSE DAMN GUN STEALIN GUMMINT MONSTERS :O NOW THOSE GUNS HAVE DISAPPEARED BACK INTO THE COMMUNITY WITHOUT ANY ABILITY TO TRACE THEM THE WORLD IS SURELY A SAFER PLACE HERALD ME AS YOUR NEW HERO and i'm sitting there going arg anyone could have bought those guns arg arrrrrrg no safety checks at all arrrrrrggggg

Boots Raingear

• BBQ Man-Pop
  • Administrator
  • CEO of Victor's basement

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-DtYJxraBpT0/UQ90Bcf_F7I/AAAAAAAAFPg/AakrwRRABdg/s1600/Gun+Nut.jpg (inline image removed by Lemon)
montrith, April 03, 2013, 03:58:49 pm

Oh hi there, American Russel Brand.