Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:48:01 am

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Episode 143: Harry Potter and the Weekend Seminar  (Read 21459 times)

Yossarian

• Sophisticated Sophistry
  • Paid
  • No one tell Hitler!
With dragon help it was not that hard to drain the sphere into a containment field and then completely shift the energies releasing them into emptiness, the akasha, the illiaster or whatever you want to call the Spirit

Are you sure shes not just talking about her Bad Dragon dildo?

crow

• Paid
  • get smoked
I wonder what her closet looks like

A Meat

• Artificial Man Pop Seasoning
  • Paid
  • filled with delicious dude meat
It's probably full of hitachi magic wands.
Lemon

crow

• Paid
  • get smoked
It's probably full of hitachi magic wands.
A Meat, July 14, 2014, 05:49:21 pm

Makes sense, they're Japanese sex magick totems

Goose Goose Honk At Me Now

• Can I offer you a Lorna Doone?
  • Paid
  • You have a very flexible torso.
It kind of warms my heart to realize that, somewhere in the world, there are like 30 crazy Christians who cover everything with the blood of Jesus at all times, and like 30 pagans who believe it's their duty to give reiki to honeybees and defuse prayer bombs, and these two groups are secretly at war with each other but are both so crazy that it doesn't even matter.

Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop

• Trill Lesh
  • Paid
  • 12 cellphones and I look like kurt angle
It kind of warms my heart to realize that, somewhere in the world, there are like 30 crazy Christians who cover everything with the blood of Jesus at all times, and like 30 pagans who believe it's their duty to give reiki to honeybees and defuse prayer bombs, and these two groups are secretly at war with each other but are both so crazy that it doesn't even matter.
Cuddleclobbermonger, July 14, 2014, 06:24:16 pm

I'm not sure how I feel about this custom Vampire: the masquerade campaign.

Adam Bozarth

• Your friend on the internet
  • Ridiculist
  • [File Photo]
I liked the discussion of Paganism at the end, though I disagree that they are holding all of this information in their heads.

From being raised Catholic and taking lots of courses in improv, I've noticed how good people can be at making shit up that sounds right. In Catholicism, there's lot of rules to follow, and everyone acts like they know why. In truth, I'm not sure most Christians in general know why they follow certain traditions or ceremonies, but if you pushed them on it, they'd have an answer. People can fill in gaps by giving a correct-sounding answer, but it doesn't make any sense. Improv is very similar, because there are a lot of techniques and axioms and any bad scene can be explained with one of them.

It's a combination of having repeatable phrases, undefinable forces, and self-confidence. You hear enough of the parlance, it gets in your head, and then you start filling the gaps in yourself with your own self-delusion. Pagans are engaging in a sort of spiritual hedonism. If it feels good, believe it. The problem with paganism is that there are no real central tenets, no guiding figure, no traditions. It's a bunch of non-Christian beliefs Mod-Podged together by burnt-out Baby Boomers. Then the internet gets involved and Harry Potter somehow becomes real.

What's troubling is that we are all capable of this self-delusion. We can all convince ourselves we know the truth when we are wrong. Not necessarily about the big stuff, but even person to person, day to day. The only real way to be sure you'll get to the truth is to open yourself to the possibility of being incorrect. Just as Socrates said, the only thing I know is that I know nothing. Pretty smart stuff. That's why Socrates as my personal savior.

Have you heard the Good News? You're an idiot.
slandersonn strifeheart JT Ansemaru Boots Raingear Navigator advancedclass Nemo2342 Ramona Chingona Sherman Tank MasterOfHope

nigeline

• Willy Dang Doodle
  • Paid
  • All you do is dump
I liked the discussion of Paganism at the end, though I disagree that they are holding all of this information in their heads.

From being raised Catholic and taking lots of courses in improv, I've noticed how good people can be at making shit up that sounds right. In Catholicism, there's lot of rules to follow, and everyone acts like they know why. In truth, I'm not sure most Christians in general know why they follow certain traditions or ceremonies, but if you pushed them on it, they'd have an answer. People can fill in gaps by giving a correct-sounding answer, but it doesn't make any sense. Improv is very similar, because there are a lot of techniques and axioms and any bad scene can be explained with one of them.

It's a combination of having repeatable phrases, undefinable forces, and self-confidence. You hear enough of the parlance, it gets in your head, and then you start filling the gaps in yourself with your own self-delusion. Pagans are engaging in a sort of spiritual hedonism. If it feels good, believe it. The problem with paganism is that there are no real central tenets, no guiding figure, no traditions. It's a bunch of non-Christian beliefs Mod-Podged together by burnt-out Baby Boomers. Then the internet gets involved and Harry Potter somehow becomes real.

What's troubling is that we are all capable of this self-delusion. We can all convince ourselves we know the truth when we are wrong. Not necessarily about the big stuff, but even person to person, day to day. The only real way to be sure you'll get to the truth is to open yourself to the possibility of being incorrect. Just as Socrates said, the only thing I know is that I know nothing. Pretty smart stuff. That's why Socrates as my personal savior.

Adam Bozarth, July 15, 2014, 12:55:11 am
This is an absolutely brilliant post.

It's really easy for one person's on-the-fly creativity (or delusions) to become religious canon - limbo, Mormonism, Scientology etc... As someone who also grew up Catholic, it always scares me just how much of religion is made up of trying to disguise the fact that most beliefs and practices stem from some random fucko proclaiming "LET IT BE SO".

🍆

• Spongy Wood Witch
  • Paid
  • Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge cunt
At first I thought Himalayan Bowl was code for some dank ass kush, but even weed dealers need business sense, so that doesn't fit.

Anyway. Mystical episodes always baffle me. Like Lemon, I had my flirtations with paganism, but they were mostly centered around the aesthetics of it. Even as a preteen I couldn't actually force myself to believe that candles and symbols were gonna do shit, or that my tarot card readings actually meant anything. I don't understand how a person can actually go through life as an adult believing in this stuff. You'd think they'd have an abundance of proof their MaGicks aren't doing shit.

punpun

• Paid
  • listen here, daddy-o
I honestly and truly had no idea what was going on.

crow

• Paid
  • get smoked

Adam Bozarth, July 15, 2014, 12:55:11 am

I'm curious, do you believe that knowledge is possible?

Cat Planet

• Autosexual Lithromantic
  • Paid
I'm not against new age folks in general - I mean, one of my best friends is really into Yoga and has even studied at a Thai ashram for a few months. Another one of my acquaintances is a Slavic neo-pagan who seems like an interesting person. However, the modern Western "fairies and dragons" type of paganism irritates me irrationally, probably because it's the selfish nerd mentality taken to its logical extreme. You don't like following a rule in *pagan school X*? No big deal, just join another Star Sparkle Conclave with entirely different rules and beliefs, which you will accept unconditionally. I believe that the word "religion" in Latin means "something that connects people". However, with the Western pagan bullshit, there is no connection - everyone believes in their own flavor of crazy. With dragon help, I shall now press the "Post" button.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 03:08:31 pm by Cat Planet »

Adam Bozarth

• Your friend on the internet
  • Ridiculist
  • [File Photo]
Smoking Crow, July 15, 2014, 09:24:09 am

That's tough. I feel like there is an undeniable truth but humans aren't able to perceive all of it. There's just too much to know in order to know the absolute truth.

I do believe we all construct an understanding of the world around us, but every perception is different. For the most part, we all have things that nearly everyone can agree on, like what colors are what or what wind feels like. However, after a certain point, you are constructing your own perspective on the world. The more you learn, the less you have to make up, but even what you choose to learn can affect your perception. At one point, these people perceived the world of magick as within the realm of possibility. The problem is that they never think about if their assumptions are true or not.

You have to keep your individual knowledge fluid, dynamic, ready to change. What led me out of Catholicism was the fact that the tenets all had a basis in fact and reality that suited a long ago age. Ironically, the more I learned in my science classes in Catholic school showed me how backwards and spooky the church still is.

As far as humans ever grasping real, undeniable Truth goes, I don't think it's 100% attainable. That truth is an asymptote that we will forever be curving towards, but we won't ever grasp.

Does that answer anything or do I sound like an idiot who was kicked out of Honors Philosophy?

Mister Smalls

• Steampunk Evita original cast member
  • Paid
JT possibly has the most soothing voice of any F Plus guest reader, perhaps second only to Lou Fernandez.

nigeline

• Willy Dang Doodle
  • Paid
  • All you do is dump
Smoking Crow, July 15, 2014, 09:24:09 am

That's tough. I feel like there is an undeniable truth but humans aren't able to perceive all of it. There's just too much to know in order to know the absolute truth.

I do believe we all construct an understanding of the world around us, but every perception is different. For the most part, we all have things that nearly everyone can agree on, like what colors are what or what wind feels like. However, after a certain point, you are constructing your own perspective on the world. The more you learn, the less you have to make up, but even what you choose to learn can affect your perception. At one point, these people perceived the world of magick as within the realm of possibility. The problem is that they never think about if their assumptions are true or not.

You have to keep your individual knowledge fluid, dynamic, ready to change. What led me out of Catholicism was the fact that the tenets all had a basis in fact and reality that suited a long ago age. Ironically, the more I learned in my science classes in Catholic school showed me how backwards and spooky the church still is.

As far as humans ever grasping real, undeniable Truth goes, I don't think it's 100% attainable. That truth is an asymptote that we will forever be curving towards, but we won't ever grasp.

Does that answer anything or do I sound like an idiot who was kicked out of Honors Philosophy?
Adam Bozarth, July 15, 2014, 04:26:17 pm
Ironic how Catholic School Science kills so many people's faiths. Strangely enough, many people I know didn't reject belief outright but instead moved towards paganism/magick/new-age bullshit because it was more fluid. Unfortunately for them, they're still wrong.