Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:54:55 pm

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: The tech we use  (Read 11124 times)

Sauce

• Common-gender prole
  • Paid
  • Screw it, I'll go with they/them
The tech we use #15
Ooh, I always like talking about this sort of thing, although I'm definitely not very knowledgeable, I do know what I like.

Computer
  • Built myself to fit my whims. Wanted a machine I could use for gaming as well as all my business & art needs.
  • Windows 10
  • AMD Ryzen 5 2600X w/ 16GB RAM
  • Radeon RX570 8GB
  • 500GB M.2 Boot Drive, 2 more 500GB SSDs, and 5TB split across 3 HDDs
  • Logitech G19s Keyboard (miss my old sidewinder with the num pad I could swap from one side to the other or just ditch entirely and a dedicated calculator hotkey)
  • 23" Samsung Monitor

Digital Art
  • Intuos Pro 4 Medium Tablet
  • Razer Tartarus Gaming Keypad - Fellow digital artists, I cannot recommend investing in one of these (or something like it) highly enough, it takes some setup time to configure it how you want it, but it's so much better than relying on the hotkeys of a tablet, sped up my process so much
  • Paint Tool Sai v 1.2 - I cannot stress how much I hate this piece of software. It only works in RGB colour, it has no text functions, it's just shite, with the sole redeeming feature of having a perfect feel and brushes that work exactly how I want them to, so long as I don't ask for anything silly like "drawing a grid"
  • Corel Painter, Clip Studio Paint, Photoshop - Occasionally I'll slink over to one of these with a determination to get it working how I want so I never have to deal with Sai ever again, only to come crawling back.

Jewellery Making
  • Greenlion Jeweler's Saw Frame - By far the nicest piercing saw frame I've ever used. Great balance, lovely feel, and looks nice too.
  • Vallorbe Super Pike Saw Blades - 3/0 is my standard size for detail work, but I keep some 5/0s on hand for more detailed work, and some 1/0s, 1s and 3s around for coarser quicker cuts.
  • Knew Concepts 3" & 5" Saw Frames - My old go-to, and while I still love how light they are, I got frustrated with the stupid design of the thumbscrews. I keep them around because the quick change levers and swiveling blade clamps are really fantastic and a joy to use.
  • Clarke Metalworker Bench Mounted Drill Press
  • Dremel 3000 with flex-shaft - Been planning on upgrading to a Foredom for a while, but this does the job very nicely while I build up my savings.
  • Silverline Bench Grinder with Polishing Wheel attachment
  • Assorted Square Gravers, with a couple of other shapes for variety & texture
  • Many burnishers
  • Many hammers
  • 6" Round Leather Sandbag

Audio
  • I still harbour dreams of seeking out more voiceover work someday.
  • Red5 Audio RV6 Large Diaphragm Cardioid Condenser Microphone
  • Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB Audio Interface
  • Audacity
  • Ibanez GSR200 Bass Guitar
  • Boss ODB-3 Bass Overdrive Pedal
  • Behringer Bass Amp

Gadgets
  • Huawei Honor 10 Phone - External speaker no longer works unless I squeeze it in a specific way, but I can't afford to be without a phone long enough to get it repaired.
  • New 2DS XL & an ergonomic grip
  • Kindle 5

General Software
  • Google Docs & Google Sheets
  • MusicBee - Streaming's fine, I guess, but I like keeping my own music library too.
  • Spotify - Streaming's fine, I guess.
  • Podcast Go - Not the best podcast app, but I've been using it for ages and I don't like change.
  • Calibre - Got to keep my ebooks organised.
  • Steam, GOG Galaxy, Origin & Epic game launchers
  • Discord
  • Private Internet Access VPN
  • Fitocracy - used to use this a lot to keep myself motivated for workouts, but sadly it seems pretty dead and I haven't really found an alternative I like.
  • Andica SA800 - Cheapest tax software I could get to work.
Lemon

Schumin Capote

• Paid
  • Nice to see you, to see you nice.
The tech we use #16
Development
  • I use both VS Code (JS) and PHP Storm as my IDEs
  • We use custom Docker containers for local development
  • I use Sequel Pro for connecting to DB work.
  • I use a combination of Tower and command line for managing Git repositories.
  • I use iTerm2 in place of the standard OSX terminal.
  • I use Transmit for file transfers
  • Slack & occasionally Teams for chat
  • AWS for servers
  • Jira for project management

Photography/Videography
  • Sony A7III camera
  • Sony 24-70mm f2.8
  • Sony 85mm f1.8
  • Sony 24mm f1.4
  • Sony 70-200 f2.8
  • Rode mic
  • Zhiyun gimbal
  • Adobe CC (Lightroom, Photoshop, Premiere)
  • Manfrotto BeFree tripod

Computers
  • Work: 2017 15" MBP i7 512 GB SSD
  • Personal PC: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 32 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 970 (should probably upgrade), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB, WD 8 TB
  • Personal Laptop: Original i5 Surface Book w/ 8 GB RAM
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 02:14:05 am by Schumin Capote »