Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:17:05 am

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Episode 56: Excuse Me, May I See Your Water Selection?  (Read 7182 times)

Captain Nobeard

• Paid
Recently read this article, and remembered this episode. Didn't see a thread so I made one.

https://psmag.com/the-water-sommelier-f6291480d6a7#.ou5lihjbg

I can respect the guy for pursuing his passion, but absurdly expensive expensive water really should not be a thing...

eldritchhat

• Lady of Calamaris
  • Paid
  • Card Carrying Boobgeoisie
Thank you Captain Nobeard, this is actually one of the most cringy episodes for me, along with the sonic pebbles one, 'cause it is such a fucking level of excess and decadence where people are fucking dying of thirst, yet these people insist on having the most expensive and exclusive water.

Also, is it just me, or do snobs just make up ultra-specific aspects of average things (i.e. minerality, mouth-feel, etc.) just so they can feel like they're better than the ordinary people that drink this everyday?

Captain Nobeard

• Paid
Also, is it just me, or do snobs just make up ultra-specific aspects of average things (i.e. minerality, mouth-feel, etc.) just so they can feel like they're better than the ordinary people that drink this everyday?
eldritchhat, May 21, 2016, 07:28:08 am

Pretty much. It's hard enough to take the bullshit regarding wine tasting seriously as it is, so applying the same criteria to water just amplifies the bullshit. Obviously a decent wine isn't going to taste like Ripple, but there have been plenty of studies that prove that sommeliers are full of shit.

So, applying the same bullshit to a more blander drink is even worse imho.  There really isn't that much difference between different types of water...
McMillan and Waifu

Gyro

• touched fuzzy, got dizzy
  • Paid
eldritchhat, May 21, 2016, 07:28:08 am

That's actually a whole chapter in How To Fleece Rich Idiots 101

montrith

• Petrodactyl Spotter
  • Internaut
  • You must be this tall to ride
Water Snobs may not be among the grossest Fplus subjects, but they do make it pretty far up the list for Most Punchable.
Sherman Tank Gyro Eider Duck

Achilles' Heelies

• Ridiculist
  • Intelligent Doggie Tracking System
Water Snobs may not be among the grossest Fplus subjects, but they do make it pretty far up the list for Most Punchable.
montrith, May 23, 2016, 02:30:08 pm
You wouldn't be so irritable if you were drinking fancier water.
Nifty Nif Gyro

Sherman Tank

• Licensed Kadir-Buxton Method Practitioner
  • Associate Tag Director, East
  • I'm over 30 years old and I like fried chicken.
montrith, May 23, 2016, 02:30:08 pm

They are so utterly infuriating I want to start a revolution just to put them up against the wall.

Knitting Machine

• Paid
  • Buried in Yarn
Speak of the Devil, just the other day there was a guy in my local grocery store giving out samples of Nothing Water. It certainly was water.

EYE OF ZA

• some people's reactions such as the fuck,the hell,wtf, or what the hell
  • Paid
  • I have a problem and then I have another problem
Speak of the Devil, just the other day there was a guy in my local grocery store giving out samples of Nothing Water. It certainly was water.
Knitting Machine, May 24, 2016, 07:13:58 pm

I'm the auto-rotating photoset where every image is a different height and causes the entire page beneath it to slide up or down slightly.

Borgy-Le-Borg

• Paid
http://uk.businessinsider.com/harrods-puts-80-bottles-of-water-on-its-shelves-2017-2?r=UK&IR=T

LONDON — Harrods, the iconic department store, has a new product on its shelves: a bottle of "luxury water" retailing at £80 ($100), harvested from icebergs in the Arctic Ocean.

Qureshi now collects batches of the water by chartering an icebreaker with the permission of the Governor of Svalbard and travelling to the icebergs of Kongsfjorden, which is 1,000km from the North Pole.

Once 15 tonnes of ice is gathered, it is melted and bottled by hand in order to "capture the water in its purest form."

Each trip yields 13,000 bottles.

The brand said in a statement that the water has an "exceptionally light mouthfeel" with a "unique terroir – perfect for pairing with fine foods."

It added: "The craft product is said to have the 'taste of snow in air' and evoke recollections of 'snowflakes on the tongue.'"

Mouthfeel still cracks me up. Give me Fred or give me death!
Captain Nobeard Gyro

Yavuz

• Fave: Heavily Excessive Prekumquatxop
  • Paid
  • whats up you cem loving fuck
Captain Nobeard

MyFaceBeHi

• Second worst joke person
  • Paid
Remind me not to go to that hotel.

Yavuz

• Fave: Heavily Excessive Prekumquatxop
  • Paid
  • whats up you cem loving fuck
Remind me not to go to that hotel.
MyFaceBeHi, March 26, 2017, 01:31:24 pm

Apparently, that bottle of Fred costs $8.

SirSlarty

• Linda, where's my coffee!?
  • Paid
  • don't let's start
I just noticed my Google auto complete for thefpl.us adds "water" to the search.

Lemon

• Whatever happened to Freedom of Speech?
  • Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
I just noticed my Google auto complete for thefpl.us adds "water" to the search.
sirslarty, March 27, 2017, 12:53:29 pm

I can't believe it wins over wikihow.

also this.