Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:05:34 am

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: If we're really quiet, maybe they won't notice that we're talking about ANIME  (Read 165086 times)

Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop

• Trill Lesh
  • Paid
  • 12 cellphones and I look like kurt angle

beelzeboob

• Risen from the tits of hell.
  • Paid
  • call that the boobonic plague
Watching Princess Tutu again with my very not into anything but Kung fu movies boyfriend is an experience. Seeing him go from endeared tolerance of my series choice to being really invested in an anime ballerina duck is honestly so funny to me.

crow

• Paid
  • get smoked
Kakegurui is the show of the season, too bad netflix is fucking up its streaming rights

Breakfast

• Most Important Meal
  • Paid
Hey everyone? I really, really, really like My Hero Academia. I watched all the episodes of the anime in about 5 days, then got caught up with the manga in about a week. Good anime, good superhero story, 10/10 would recommend.
GirlKisser420 Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop Corn Syrup znarf

• Trill Lesh
  • Paid
  • 12 cellphones and I look like kurt angle
Hey everyone? I really, really, really like My Hero Academia. I watched all the episodes of the anime in about 5 days, then got caught up with the manga in about a week. Good anime, good superhero story, 10/10 would recommend.
Breakfast, August 23, 2017, 12:44:52 am
It's very very very good. PLUSSSSS ULTRAAAA
Breakfast znarf

Runic

• Is Putting A Donk On It
  • Paid
  • John Brown did nothing wrong
I enjoyed the story of Superboy Who is Constantly Crying very much as well!
Breakfast Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop

Breakfast

• Most Important Meal
  • Paid
AgentCoop, August 23, 2017, 09:35:13 am
I just heard what Deku's voice sounds like in the dub and i don't think i can watch this show anymore

NutshellGulag

• Monkey Bacon
  • Ridiculist
  • My cat? Let me tell you about my cat...
I'm old; all I want is to be able to watch every single episode of Urusei Yatsura. This is apparently too much to ask. ;_;

xX_sp00ks_Xx

• Every corpse on Mount Everest
  • Paid
  • was once an extremely motivated person.

It's a good show.
Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop Runic

chai tea latte

• TheftBot is, simply put, a fully sentient robot for stealing automatic teller machines
  • Paid
  • (ATMs) from nearby convenience stores.
The number of hot takes on Neo Yokio that I think fundamentally misunderstand the show is astonishing. I thought it was a well-done show with a pointed critique; casting Tavi Gevinson as Helena, the reveal of what's inside the Louis Vuitton bag at the end, and little details like the underwater brownstones, still occupied, in The Sea Below 14th Street. It was made on a limited budget, and Jude Law couldn't have been cheap, so the people who are upset about the animation quality are I think a little spoilt for choice. In my opinion the animation was fine, but that's at least a point of contention for the animation nerds I guess.

What I don't think is a point of contention is whether Neo Yokio is "just ironic parody of the upper class", "a sendup of mid-2000s anime tropes", or "so good it's bad". It's actually good. Bemoaning that Jaden Smith voices Kaz Kaan, or that Tavi Gevinson voices Helena (for some reason, I see a lot more of the former than the latter! is it possible that the people who recognized Tavi Gevinson's name were more likely to come to the conclusions I did about the show?) instead of a professional voice actor also misses the point, imo. It's not an accident that Kaz values satirical 'high art' like For The Love Of God more than the work of Sailor Pellegrino, who turns out to literally be a demon. He doesn't meet anyone from his outside his social bubble (except Sadie, who he hates) until the last episode. The West Side Gentlemen are shown to be shallow, personal brand mavens obsessed with fashion and social standing (just like Kaz, Lexy and Gottlieb!) and I guess until episode six you don't really have a context to the world they live in.

I am very excited and hopeful that there will be more Neo Yokio to come. It's just been surprising to me that almost every time someone gives an example of why the show didn't work, it's always one of the elements that I think was its strongest success.

Just me?
GirlKisser420 Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop

znarf

• Paid
  • aka Ludwig von Bangthoven
AgentCoop, August 23, 2017, 09:35:13 am
I just heard what Deku's voice sounds like in the dub and i don't think i can watch this show anymore
Breakfast, August 24, 2017, 12:59:55 am

Don't do that.  I've got nothing against dubbing, but investing time in a character in one language and then switching will do you no favors.  Case in point:  I like Ryu's modern english voice, but cannot stand listening to English adult Gohan form anything DBZ.  They are the same voice actor but one sounds correct and the other doesn't.

Guts Going Nutz

• Paid
The number of hot takes on Neo Yokio that I think fundamentally misunderstand the show is astonishing. I thought it was a well-done show with a pointed critique; casting Tavi Gevinson as Helena, the reveal of what's inside the Louis Vuitton bag at the end, and little details like the underwater brownstones, still occupied, in The Sea Below 14th Street. It was made on a limited budget, and Jude Law couldn't have been cheap, so the people who are upset about the animation quality are I think a little spoilt for choice. In my opinion the animation was fine, but that's at least a point of contention for the animation nerds I guess.

What I don't think is a point of contention is whether Neo Yokio is "just ironic parody of the upper class", "a sendup of mid-2000s anime tropes", or "so good it's bad". It's actually good. Bemoaning that Jaden Smith voices Kaz Kaan, or that Tavi Gevinson voices Helena (for some reason, I see a lot more of the former than the latter! is it possible that the people who recognized Tavi Gevinson's name were more likely to come to the conclusions I did about the show?) instead of a professional voice actor also misses the point, imo. It's not an accident that Kaz values satirical 'high art' like For The Love Of God more than the work of Sailor Pellegrino, who turns out to literally be a demon. He doesn't meet anyone from his outside his social bubble (except Sadie, who he hates) until the last episode. The West Side Gentlemen are shown to be shallow, personal brand mavens obsessed with fashion and social standing (just like Kaz, Lexy and Gottlieb!) and I guess until episode six you don't really have a context to the world they live in.

I am very excited and hopeful that there will be more Neo Yokio to come. It's just been surprising to me that almost every time someone gives an example of why the show didn't work, it's always one of the elements that I think was its strongest success.

Just me?
chai tea latte, September 30, 2017, 11:24:01 pm

I don't know how anyone can see that Toblerone shit and still wonder if the makers were self-aware.

Runic

• Is Putting A Donk On It
  • Paid
  • John Brown did nothing wrong
I am now watching Bacanno!

What the shit am I watching?

GirlKisser420

• Its time for limpboys to have their day in the sun
  • Paid
  • Just a Baby Drinkin Coffee
Pop Team Epic is great

I Liked That Joke

• Paid
  • Boy oh boy, there's a lot of good jokes out there!
Hello! For whatever reason I don't like very much modern anime. Older cyberpunky shows/ movies, I like a whole bunch (Akira, Cowboy Bebop, that weird Ghost in The Shell Stand Alone show that was super different from the manga), but now I don't know where to go next. Any suggestions?