Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:39:07 am

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Finding fun in DeviantArt without looking at gross stuff?  (Read 9321 times)

beelzeboob

• Risen from the tits of hell.
  • Paid
  • call that the boobonic plague
There's a lot of you on here that draw, and I'd imagine you're looking for ways to have fun with it and stretch your skills (or just goof off?). This is a game I play when I want to draw something I wouldn't normally think of myself, though I'll cut out the ending portion here to respect the Prime Directive.

1. Go to DeviantArt
2. Either look at most recent posts in general or search the most recent posts tagged "original character"
3. Remember to turn on the safe mode filter and try again
4. Draw your own take on the most earnest character you encounter, one drawn with literal childlike enthusiasm

Here is my last attempt:

Again, I find this to be a really fun way to explore things like character design and color schemes I wouldn't have considered trying myself. I'd love to see other peoples' interpretations of things like this, so if you are interested in this game please post your results here. :)
dijon du jour Lemon Yavuz Liatai babudarabu Gyro nuffkins, of all people, Malten One Of The Crappy Pokemon That Nobody Likes Cirr Runic Shigan xX_sp00ks_Xx Bodark Sherman Tank Positronic Really_Quite_Nice RoeCocoa WrightNDesk

A Meat

• Artificial Man Pop Seasoning
  • Paid
  • filled with delicious dude meat
Why would you want to not look at the gross stuff?
babudarabu Corn Syrup xX_sp00ks_Xx Hoopy

Malten

• Hot Squirt
  • Paid
I'm a big fan of the really fucked up shit, but I guess this is nice as well.

How do the character owners react? :v !

beelzeboob

• Paid
Tose, February 15, 2017, 02:13:45 am

That's the part I left out since it's against the rules here lol. I don't consider myself to be breaking the rules because I've done this for ages before I joined here but... I've been playing this game forever on different forums - DeviantArt, pet sites, etc. - and at the end I typically will post the finished result on my own account. I tag the kid who drew the original and let them know that their character was so cool/cute that it really inspired me, and that "I hope it's okay that I drew them!" They're almost always excited about it, and no one has EVER been upset about it.

As one of my friends told me, "if I was a kid and got this, I would have cried for like 9 hours and printed it out and put it in my binder." That's my end goal. I want a kid to feel like their art means something, that they impacted someone, that someone else who is a bit further along was excited by THEIR personal expression instead of the other way around for once. I know that would have meant a lot to me as a kid, and I want to pass it along to someone else. Drawing cool characters that I'd never have touched otherwise is also a great part of it (I wasn't lying about why I play this game in the original post!), but I also just love making kids happy.
dijon du jour Liatai Corn Syrup bubbleuj Gyro Emperor Jack Chick Runic Dawnswalker BARK RANGER nuffkins, of all people, junior associate faguar babudarabu Cirr CormansInferno Eider Duck Really_Quite_Nice RoeCocoa

bubbleuj

• Paid
Tose, February 15, 2017, 02:13:45 am

That's the part I left out since it's against the rules here lol. I don't consider myself to be breaking the rules because I've done this for ages before I joined here but... I've been playing this game forever on different forums - DeviantArt, pet sites, etc. - and at the end I typically will post the finished result on my own account. I tag the kid who drew the original and let them know that their character was so cool/cute that it really inspired me, and that "I hope it's okay that I drew them!" They're almost always excited about it, and no one has EVER been upset about it.

As one of my friends told me, "if I was a kid and got this, I would have cried for like 9 hours and printed it out and put it in my binder." That's my end goal. I want a kid to feel like their art means something, that they impacted someone, that someone else who is a bit further along was excited by THEIR personal expression instead of the other way around for once. I know that would have meant a lot to me as a kid, and I want to pass it along to someone else. Drawing cool characters that I'd never have touched otherwise is also a great part of it (I wasn't lying about why I play this game in the original post!), but I also just love making kids happy.
beelzeboob, February 15, 2017, 08:59:36 am

This is so nice and you are a good person.
Gyro Liatai RoeCocoa

beelzeboob

• Paid
Hello I'm back, this time with sparkledog furries? I've never drawn an anthro before so this was a weird and interesting new experience.

I had no idea what the dots in the hair were supposed to be (highlights, maybe?) but I just played them straight because they're kind of cute as-is.
Liatai bubbleuj Lemon Bodark nuffkins, of all people, Runic Positronic Really_Quite_Nice

xX_sp00ks_Xx

• Every corpse on Mount Everest
  • Paid
  • was once an extremely motivated person.
User SmudgeJester joined DeviantArt three weeks ago. Her first submitted deviation is this:

SmudgeJester might be my spirit animal.

Her latest (third) deviation is called Watermark and the description is "I was attempting new styles -- watcha think? :)"

I think it's great, so I drew it fanart.

bubbleuj Corn Syrup beelzeboob Liatai nuffkins, of all people, Really_Quite_Nice
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 02:43:28 pm by Spooks »

beelzeboob

• Paid
Back at it again with my favorite hobby.

I really liked this character's tattoos and color scheme but that shirt was unforgivably bad. So I changed it.
Lemon xX_sp00ks_Xx nuffkins, of all people, Liatai Really_Quite_Nice

xX_sp00ks_Xx

• Every corpse on Mount Everest
  • Paid
  • was once an extremely motivated person.
It was fun trying to figure out which way the fur was supposed to be going on this one. The name's Jayce, the gender's Male, the species is Sesamaniac. I dropped the beads motif on the eyes there since it wasn't working out for me.

nuffkins, of all people, Lemon Frank West beelzeboob Liatai Positronic Really_Quite_Nice

beelzeboob

• Paid
After work I had more free time tonight.

I love literally everything about the original picture. I've never been so delighted at a DA find.
Saoirse-Lilith nuffkins, of all people, Liatai Runic Yavuz Lemon xX_sp00ks_Xx Frank West Corn Syrup Dawnswalker Positronic cube abuser Really_Quite_Nice RoeCocoa

Positronic

• You told a squash lie!
  • Paid
  • You broke a squash promise!
This is such a cute idea! I decided to draw this OC who goes by the name of Hero.

He reminded me of a lot of my first characters. I sent a link to the original artist. I hope she likes it!
beelzeboob Liatai Corn Syrup Runic nuffkins, of all people, cube abuser Really_Quite_Nice

beelzeboob

• Paid
I've been working on this one on and off for a little while but...

This is Danella. She's a dandelion.

I rarely do lineless stuff and even rarer do I make gifs. I love this character design so much though that I had to try and make it work. I think I did okay!
Liatai Dawnswalker Trav Ragnarok Boobies Lemon Corn Syrup Runic cube abuser Eider Duck Malten nuffkins, of all people, Really_Quite_Nice Yavuz RoeCocoa Positronic

Isfahan

• Ask me about AKs.
  • Ridiculist
  • Trouble with customers? Isfahano cares.
My drawing skills are terrible, goodbye!
beelzeboob Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop Hoopy Eider Duck Yavuz bubbleuj SHAMBA~1.SBB

Shell Game

• Showrunner of Extra Credit
  • Paid
  • Rex Morgan knows about Pretty Cure. Look it up.
This is adorable! Makes me wish I could draw so I could join in the fun. The heartwarming feedback is my favorite part.

beelzeboob

• Paid
Earlier this week I found an image whose content is almost completely lost in this modern internet age. I was in shock when I saw it. A portrayal of three monster-girls eating ice cream that's completely innocent is almost unheard of. I had to draw it.

It was a lot of fun figuring out how to draw the different animal parts. I had to heavily reference pictures but at the end of the day I feel proud for making it look somewhat decent.
Lemon Frank West Yavuz Baldr Corn Syrup RoeCocoa Saoirse-Lilith Eider Duck Shell Game nuffkins, of all people, bubbleuj WrightNDesk Positronic