Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:46:26 pm

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Episode 228: United Nations of Dinguses  (Read 30705 times)

Liatai

• Made of tea, science, art, and dragons.
  • Paid
  • Warning: uses far too many smileys.
Episode 228: United Nations of Dinguses #15
With one or two exceptions, I've found that avoiding people who wear bow ties (outside of black tie occasions) is a profoundly good idea.
Sherman Tank Without A Brain, September 26, 2016, 07:24:02 pm

But... but...

Bill Nye... :(

Bodark

Sherman Tank

• Licensed Kadir-Buxton Method Practitioner
  • Associate Tag Director, East
  • I'm over 30 years old and I like fried chicken.
Episode 228: United Nations of Dinguses #16
Bill Nye is one of those exceptions I mentioned.
Liatai Bodark Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop

Liatai

• Made of tea, science, art, and dragons.
  • Paid
  • Warning: uses far too many smileys.
Episode 228: United Nations of Dinguses #17
Bill Nye is one of those exceptions I mentioned.
Sherman Tank Without A Brain, September 26, 2016, 09:43:51 pm

Muffinator

• Paid
Episode 228: United Nations of Dinguses #18

DEEP CUT, MOTHERFUCKER

Cleretic

• Russian Roulette Silver Medalist
  • Paid
Episode 228: United Nations of Dinguses #19
This is actually pretty interesting to see, because I think what's happened here is just that Nationstates provides something nothing else can. And it doesn't even provide it well, but it stands after all these years because of it.

Everyone there clearly really wants to roleplay an entire nation, and there's nowhere else to really do that to this level of creativity. All city/nation/empire building games are really gameplay-heavy with very little in the way of room to let you make 'your' world; this is light enough that you're actually able to exert that creativity. Hell, when Nationstates came up in our games forum, I contemplated taking part for exactly that reason, and was going to make my nation 'the land of contrived/supernatural coincidences that all fetish stories are set in'. I had way too much fun envisioning how that actually worked (their borders initially expanded rapidly because neighboring states were too skeeved out to get close, and the wanton transformation and mind control causes health and social care to be both very confusing and lenient), and Nationstates is kind of the only place to be that... specifically creative.

Yet at the same time, I noticed something that I think happened to the place's roleplaying community that I've seen elsewhere: the godmoders muscled out the reasonable people. The people with reserved or realistic play-countries just aren't there anymore, because it's really hard to play out that sort of thing when you're there alongside someone whose response to ISIS is to reduce the entirety of the Middle-East to a pile of goo. I've seen that in other freeform RP stuff, particularly in MMOs; if you introduce weaknesses or nuance, you just get outpaced and outvolumed.
Corn Syrup Vinny Possum Yavuz
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 07:29:41 am by Cleretic »

Isfahan

• Ask me about AKs.
  • Ridiculist
  • Trouble with customers? Isfahano cares.
Episode 228: United Nations of Dinguses #20
"What would you do against ISIS?"

"What I always do: roll it into my existing power fantasy, duh!"

What's hilarious is that you know all of these godmoder people think they sound super tough and badass when talking about their antimatter bombs (?) and paperclipper nanomachines.
Yavuz Corn Syrup chai tea latte Sherman Tank Vinny Possum Really_Quite_Nice

Yavuz

• Fave: Heavily Excessive Prekumquatxop
  • Paid
  • whats up you cem loving fuck
Episode 228: United Nations of Dinguses #21

What's hilarious is that you know all of these godmoder people think they sound super tough and badass when talking about their antimatter bombs (?) and paperclipper nanomachines.
Isfahan, September 27, 2016, 09:13:17 am

I think that one of the lessons of the F Plus as a whole is about fantasies. And it's not so much that fantasies are inherently bad, or that it's bad to imagine a (possibly) better world. It's just that maybe you don't need to share all of these things with the whole Internet because maybe they're not as interesting as you think.
McMillan and Waifu Gyro

Lemon

• Whatever happened to Freedom of Speech?
  • Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
Episode 228: United Nations of Dinguses #22
With one or two exceptions, I've found that avoiding people who wear bow ties (outside of black tie occasions) is a profoundly good idea.
Sherman Tank Without A Brain, September 26, 2016, 07:24:02 pm

Moose

Sherman Tank

Episode 228: United Nations of Dinguses #23

My favorite was the guy who kept talking about how his super kickass navy would blow ISIS out of the water and then his super high speed Armed Populace would take out the stragglers. Dude totally didn't know what the fuck ISIS even is.
Yavuz

Isfahan

• Ask me about AKs.
  • Ridiculist
  • Trouble with customers? Isfahano cares.
Episode 228: United Nations of Dinguses #24
Apparently some people think ISIS are the bad guys from the Chuck Norris movie Invasion USA.
Yavuz Liatai Sherman Tank Captain Nobeard Mushroom

Yavuz

• Paid
Episode 228: United Nations of Dinguses #25

My favorite was the guy who kept talking about how his super kickass navy would blow ISIS out of the water and then his super high speed Armed Populace would take out the stragglers. Dude totally didn't know what the fuck ISIS even is.
Sherman Tanks are completely hated in Huswyae, September 27, 2016, 04:49:32 pm

Uniquely among all the people in that thread, he didn't know shit about ISIS (or Islam or terrorism in general, for that matter).
Achilles' Heelies Sherman Tank

Sherman Tank

Episode 228: United Nations of Dinguses #26
Sherman Tanks are completely hated in Huswyae, September 27, 2016, 04:49:32 pm

Uniquely among all the people in that thread, he didn't know shit about ISIS (or Islam or terrorism in general, for that matter).
Yavuz Sultan Selim, September 27, 2016, 05:01:55 pm

Oh don't mistake me, they were all stupid and wrong, but the guys talking about nuking cities or dropping gray goo wormhole asteroids or having Dejah Thoris cosplayers behead ISIS leaders on camera and shit seemed to at least be aware that ISIS was a thing happening in the Middle East. That's way less wrong than thinking ISIS is some free-roaming horde of villains from a Chuck Norris movie.
Yavuz Vinny Possum

Fatty Bo Batty

• Adult Baby Protective Services Officer
  • Paid
  • Is good to make a posting
Episode 228: United Nations of Dinguses #27
I would just like to let everyone know that the amazon sex goddess torture country's name is based on the Japanese word for "Cuckold." So, it's literally Cuckoldia.
Lemon chai tea latte Sherman Tank Bodark cube abuser Really_Quite_Nice Captain Nobeard Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop Fanzay Moose Yavuz jim and the mammograms

Yavuz

• Paid
Episode 228: United Nations of Dinguses #28
Pantopian masturbation police:

"Jerk it!"
Lemon

Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop

• Trill Lesh
  • Paid
  • 12 cellphones and I look like kurt angle