Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:52:13 pm

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Screw you Lemon, we're posting about Doctor Who  (Read 10661 times)

Cleretic

• Russian Roulette Silver Medalist
  • Paid
For full effect, just assume that everyone in this thread is wearing a TARDIS dress, really long scarf, and a bow tie.

They revealed the new companion today. She seems pretty fun, might be from the eighties, and given when they probably filmed it has worryingly prescient taste in clothes.

Lemon Nifty Nif

Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop

• Trill Lesh
  • Paid
  • 12 cellphones and I look like kurt angle
Doctor Who's on first
Sherman Tank jorty Moose

positive stress

• your favorite cool pizza star
  • Paid
  • beep beep ribby ribby
I've seen like four episodes, goodbye!

eldritchhat

• Lady of Calamaris
  • Paid
  • Card Carrying Boobgeoisie
Isn't this the talk show with aliens?

E.T. + Dr. Phil = Dr. Who?

Yavuz

• Fave: Heavily Excessive Prekumquatxop
  • Paid
  • whats up you cem loving fuck
I haven't seen any of it since I left for grad school (I'm not paying for cable for myself), so how has Capaldi been?

Cleretic

• Paid
I haven't seen any of it since I left for grad school (I'm not paying for cable for myself), so how has Capaldi been?
Yavuz Sultan Selim, April 23, 2016, 09:59:05 pm
Capaldi's fantastic, although the writing haven't always been. His characterization was a bit shaky and rough in his first season; they knew they wanted this Doctor to be rough and assholish but ultimately kind and well-meaning, but interpretations of that varied from 'autistic' to 'out of touch dad' to 'military officer'. Most of the stories are really good, but the character's inconsistent.

His second season isn't as good (although I still think pretty highly of it as a package), but its greatest strength is that they found a direction that worked for the character: he's basically an aging punk rocker from the 70s, and they have so much fun with that. Most of all him; he's clearly having so much fun every time he gets to break out the guitar.

Ashto

• Paid
  • I don't even know anymore
For full effect, just assume that everyone in this thread is wearing a TARDIS dress, really long scarf, and a bow tie.
Cleretic, April 23, 2016, 08:15:34 pm

Excuse me a moment, I need to make a call.

"Hey, mom, I changed my mind. I want to be like Cleretic when I grow up!"

SatanInAZootSuit

• This Guy
  • Paid
  • I am become death, destroyer of threads.
I tried so hard to watch Dr.  Who,  and enjoyed what I saw, but it seemed to be trying to be smart seeming without any real depth

Mu.

• Paid
I enjoy watching Doctor Who mainly as a ridiculous nonsense spectacle for children with some occasionally interesting character work and novel settings or plot devices. I would probably enjoy anime if I got around to watching it.

I also like the old show and think it's generally smarter that the 2005 revival, especially post-Moffat's showrunning. I have many tedious Doctor Who opinions.

Edit: The clip seems good. The new companion reminds me of Donna, which owns. Clara was always kind of a nothing character to me, despite Jenna Coleman's good efforts.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 12:30:53 pm by Murphy »

Cleretic

• Paid
You know, as much as I liked the seasons when Clara was around (for the most part; season 7 is probably my least favorite when you exclude the 50th anniversary stuff), I would agree. Jenna Coleman is fun enough as an actress, I liked the character well enough, but she was just sort of... there. A very 'standard' companion, she didn't really do much to distinguish herself.

I have a great respect for Donna as a companion, and I'm pretty happy to have another companion like her (especially if, like some people are suspecting, Bill is from the 80s), but personally my favorite was always Amy. It was probably a combination of her having a pretty strong character, the Cracks from season 5 (which she was pretty heavily connected to during all that) being extremely my jam, and Karen Gillan just being really pretty.

Amelia Blank

• Giant Woman
  • Paid
  • Secretly seven cats in a human-shaped bag
Doctor Who is my jam! I will say the classic series is probably more interestingly written and more willing to take chances? I personally really like the Moffat era a LOT more than the one before it since he seems to understand Doctor Who as a character and a concept much better?

I love love love Capaldi! He owns that role! I also loved Clara!  I feel like her arc was pretty interesting, basically slowly giving into her control freak tendencies and picking up the Doctor's worst habits.

Bill looks super fun! I feel like there could maybe be a Seven and Ace type thing going on (highly speculating of course) which I would love! I also love the idea of her being from the eighties.

memorylikeasieve

• *SQUEAK!*
  • Paid
  • "If you're white, see a doctor."
So far, I like Pearl Mackie and her character.  Bill (shades of Ace, I hope) sounds like a breath of fresh air after Clara, who was slowly morphing into a Mary Sue/Tumblrina hybrid.

chai tea latte

• TheftBot is, simply put, a fully sentient robot for stealing automatic teller machines
  • Paid
  • (ATMs) from nearby convenience stores.
Oh shit, I liked Ace. Can someone recommend a good Capaldi episode?

Amelia Blank

• Giant Woman
  • Paid
  • Secretly seven cats in a human-shaped bag
I'd say there are two classics that stand on their own without needing to know the overall arc of the season. There's "Listen" from Series 8 and "Heaven Sent" from Series 9.

Mu.

• Paid
Oh shit, I liked Ace. Can someone recommend a good Capaldi episode?
chai tea latte, May 14, 2016, 07:52:53 am

Mummy on the Orient Express and Flatline. The latter one is the better one.

I thought Listen was a bit naff, personally.