Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:31:10 pm

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Episode 121: A Not At All Brief History Of Dozerfleet  (Read 43640 times)

KingKalamari

• Cephalopod Enthusiast
  • Paid
  • It's Samba time for Tambo & Weep Day for Urine Man
While I wouldn't necessarily be surprised if he did turn out to have Asperger's I really got more the vibe that he just had an incredibly, ridiculously sheltered childhood

EYE OF ZA

• some people's reactions such as the fuck,the hell,wtf, or what the hell
  • Paid
  • I have a problem and then I have another problem
My bet is some combination of the two.  Maybe having a sheltered childhood meant he never really got any diagnosis or help with his issues.  It's pretty clear from the What's Hot This Year pages that his family is conservative Christian, so we know where that came from at least.

Here's something that I'm upset didn't make it into either of the docs.  Lemon will get a kick out of this I'm sure.

I'm here to tell you about DVD-Storybook Hybrid Webcomic Format, or as the internet might know it, "webcomics".

A DVD-Storybook-Hybrid Webcomic, or DSHW, is a special format of online comic, the term being coined by the founder of Dozerfleet on Friday, May 23rd of 2008 around 10:50 PM EDT. A few Dozerfleet works were created using the format. In 2013, further pursuit of the format was put on a shelf, as complications in its improvement and development came to a screeching halt in late 2012. Promotion of the format became even more complicated in April of 2013 with the announcement by DeviantArt of having teamed up with MadeFire to produce the MotionBook format, which was seen as more marketable.

With all the problem-solving skills of AHHHA, he set out to fix the problem of webcomics not having enough hyperlinks.

As stated above, the DSHW format was first inspired by The Sims 2 Story Exchange. That system is pejoratively dubbed "DSHW 0.1," since it has some features in common with the DSHW format but is not true DSHW for the following reasons:

• While all three versions (0.05 [The Sims 1], 0.1 [The Sims 2], and 0.2 [The Sims 3]) have the basic functionality for storytelling and carry the 3.0 standard of value switching as a replacement for actual HTML navigation, none of the Exchanges have DVD-like menus.
  • Stories on the Exchanges do not possess the option for multiple chapter navigation within a story. Instead, chapters must be published as separate stories.
  • The absence of a DVD-like Main Menu and lack of DVD-like menus for sub-features to a story defeat the purpose of the DSHW 1.0 standard.
  • Cursors cannot be customized
  • Resolutions beyond 600 x 450 are not yet realized, making comparison with versions of true DSHW beyond 1.0 difficult.
  • No option for rolling credits pages for any Exchange story.
  • No navigation automation options, though page value transition effects are possible and cross-browser-compatible.
  • Use of Flash for technology other than video embedding/streaming

This is the frontier of modern web design.

KingKalamari

• Cephalopod Enthusiast
  • Paid
As stated above, the DSHW format was first inspired by The Sims 2 Story Exchange. That system is pejoratively dubbed "DSHW 0.1," since it has some features in common with the DSHW format but is not true DSHW for the following reasons:

• While all three versions (0.05 [The Sims 1], 0.1 [The Sims 2], and 0.2 [The Sims 3]) have the basic functionality for storytelling and carry the 3.0 standard of value switching as a replacement for actual HTML navigation, none of the Exchanges have DVD-like menus.
  • Stories on the Exchanges do not possess the option for multiple chapter navigation within a story. Instead, chapters must be published as separate stories.
  • The absence of a DVD-like Main Menu and lack of DVD-like menus for sub-features to a story defeat the purpose of the DSHW 1.0 standard.
  • Cursors cannot be customized
  • Resolutions beyond 600 x 450 are not yet realized, making comparison with versions of true DSHW beyond 1.0 difficult.
  • No option for rolling credits pages for any Exchange story.
  • No navigation automation options, though page value transition effects are possible and cross-browser-compatible.
  • Use of Flash for technology other than video embedding/streaming
EYE OF ZA, December 30, 2013, 07:11:08 pm

Man, imagine what a spyware infested wreck this guy's computer must be...

Sherlockian

• Library handwriting. Indexing. Abstracting. Alphabetizing. Filing.
  • Paid
  • File under Z695.95 S54
I guaren-fucking-tee you there is someone out there who has written a lengthy list about Neurotypical Privilege out there and deserves to be punched in the face for it.Runic, December 30, 2013, 05:11:38 pm

I have seen that and I promise it is as awful as you think.  (For example: http://allisticntprivilege.tumblr.com)

Runic

• Is Putting A Donk On It
  • Paid
  • John Brown did nothing wrong
Yeah, he's terrible, but it's not entirely his fault.
Runic, December 30, 2013, 05:11:38 pm
Even if he has the 'spergers, that doesn't exempt him from being capable of necessary soul-searching, or at least some reflection on how to use the urge to categorize things to a productive end. Cuddlekrampus, December 30, 2013, 05:46:56 pm
Oh I'm not saying that it does, believe me. It's not all his fault that he thinks the way he does, but that doesn't make the things he believes any less toxic and hateful. Everyone's beliefs are a reflection of the environment in which they were raised, and that doesn't excuse holding onto worldviews that oppress and marginalize other people. But at the same time, I just see myself in him. I understand his thought processes in a way that I don't think normal people can.

I try to keep up on research regarding autism, and one theory that has gained some prominence is that Autists do not form a Theory of Mind in the same way that normal people do. Theory of Mind is, essentially, the ability to attribute mental states to other people. It is the understanding, on a fundamental instinctual level, that other humans are living, thinking minds in the same way that you are. There is a good amount of hard neurological evidence that high-functioning autistic people are impaired in this way. It is inherently harder for us to understand the mindstates of others, and that is certainly in evidence with this guy. It's something that has caused me no small bit of worry. I like to think of myself as a fairly empathetic person, but I don't know to what extent I view people as people in the same way most folks do. (One related theory is that theory of mind exists along a spectrum rather than being a binary trait that you either do or do not have.)

I don't know what point I'm trying to make here. Maybe I'm just organizing my thoughts. Certainly this guy has a responsibility to not be such a choad, but I'm inclined to not judge him quite as harshly as I judge normap people creepers like Roosh et al, or normal homophobes like Bryan Fischer or Scott Lively. He's operating at a disadvantage. You don't know what it's like. From my perspective, other people almost seem like they can read minds. Other people's thoughts and motivations are largely opaque to me, and I'm pretty high functioning by Asperger's standards. I've spent years and had extensive professional help dealing with autism, and I still have a hard time telling if a girl is flirting with me, knowing if someone I am talking to is engaged in the conversation, knowing if the people I think are my friends actually value my contributions or are just tolerating me. When you are impaired like that it really can seem like the whole world is structured specifically to exclude you, and it can be hard for even a well intentioned person to know when they are crossing over social boundaries that they simply cannot see. What this guy is doing is not okay, and his horrible behavior isn't right, but I pity him. I pity him because I know just how easy is to fall into that same trap.

And I'm going to say that the most important thing you can do for someone with a social disability when you see them crossing the line between what is acceptable and what is not is to tell them that. I'm sure tumblr would have all sorts of nasty things to say about this advice, but it's damn true. The very worst thing for a person like this is to put them in the hugbox. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I might have been a different person if I hadn't come across PoE and other internet communities like it. Even a well intentioned autistic person can cross social boundaries because we don't know that they're there at all, and we won't know if someone doesn't tell us. So tell us. God knows I didn't always like it, but having people, both online and in real life, who were willing to tell me when I fucked up even when I didn't want to hear it ultimately did me a world of good. Becoming accustomed to criticism and learning to modify your behavior in response to it is the number one most important skill people like me can develop, because without criticism we will never learn how to deal with people. And we need to learn how to deal with people. Because there are seven billion of them and one of you, and while it is right to expect reasonable accommodation for disabilities the flip side of that is that you have to be willing to make an effort as well. Why should they help you if you aren't willing to make an effort? I want to inscribe that on a sheet of iron and bean my fifteen year old self over the head with it, but I suspect that wanting to kick younger-you's ass is not a sentiment that is confined to the autistic. Younger me was kind of a cunt.

So that's my thoughts on the subject, I guess. If I'm sharing too much, then please tell me. After all, how else would I ever learn?
cyclopeantrash Cyberventurer One Of The Crappy Pokemon That Nobody Likes Nikaer Drekin Sherman Tank

Runic

• Is Putting A Donk On It
  • Paid
  • John Brown did nothing wrong
While I wouldn't necessarily be surprised if he did turn out to have Asperger's I really got more the vibe that he just had an incredibly, ridiculously sheltered childhood
KingKalamari, December 30, 2013, 06:49:10 pm
I'm almost positive he's on the spectrum. Once you hang around Asperger's folks you can tell. No, really! I've had acquaintances walk up and ask me if I've got it, because they have family members who do and they spotted me a mile away. Reading this guy's stuff, it's like looking in a fun house mirror. It's so familiar it hurts.

My bet is some combination of the two.  Maybe having a sheltered childhood meant he never really got any diagnosis or help with his issues.  It's pretty clear from the What's Hot This Year pages that his family is conservative Christian, so we know where that came from at least.EYE OF ZA, December 30, 2013, 07:11:08 pm
Got it in one. A sheltered childhood can take this problem and make it into a clusterfuck. Like I said, asperger's people need people who are willing to give out honest and uncensored criticism. This is what happens when they grow up in a culture that is designed to never ever allow their beliefs to be held up to honest criticism.

Ulillillia comes across as charming (at least to me) because he's open and honest about the fact that the way the world works and the way his brain works are so different. He's not resentful or egotistical (yes, his pages are self-centered, but not in such a way that they radiate entitlement or scorn for others). He's not insistent that everyone pay attention to him all the time. He's just documenting how the world looks through the Uli-lens, without anger or vanity. He's clearly aiming for some sort of genuine self-awareness, and that just happens to take the form of webpages and a unique cataloguing system.
It also helps that he is not a huge asshole.

Fuck man, this is cathartic.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 08:40:02 pm by Runic »

Acierocolotl

• Romance Supremacist
  • Ridiculist
  • You will be romanticized
I've got a much simpler theory.  Take it or leave it, I'm not deeply attached to it.

He's about of the age where it became standard practice to give medals and awards for everything, so EVERYBODY got some special little prize; we don't want the little ones to feel like losers.  Case in point:  I went to a jiu-jitsu techniques tournament for beginners, and we were supposed to demonstrate a technique--an escape and counterattack from a hold, for instance.  Most of my fellow competitors were in their young teens.  In there,  I scored dead, utter, unquestionably last.   I deviated from what they were looking for, they scored me poorly, and that's fair and perfectly acceptable and a fair cop.

Yet!  I still got a medal, as did everyone else there.  Mine was for "bravely participating".  I gave them such a weirded-out look. (Whaddaya mean, bravely participating?  I fake-kicked a guy who fake-grabbed me and I love an audience.)

Now what I'm getting at here is if everybody gets a prize every time, no matter the level of ability, everybody starts thinking their contributions have intrinsic value.  If kids don't learn the value of losing at an early age, they'll think everything they produce yields gold.  Case in point being the Founder of Dozerfleet, who probably got a lot of medals for "bravely participating" for his early contributions, and came to the flawed conclusion that everything he's made is valuable.
Sherman Tank

🍆

• Spongy Wood Witch
  • Paid
  • Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge cunt
You guys should sell an F Plus outtakes digital download someday. I would absolutely listen to 2, or 3, or whatever hours of this shit. Amazing.

It's scary to think that you could be some guy you met a few times in middle school's Carli.
slandersonn

chai tea latte

• TheftBot is, simply put, a fully sentient robot for stealing automatic teller machines
  • Paid
  • (ATMs) from nearby convenience stores.
In defense of the 'everyone gets a medal for showing up' thing, I just want to point out my generation weren't the ones buying the damn things.
Baldr Lemon count_actuala Runic Ansemaru Clockderp

Acierocolotl

• Romance Supremacist
  • Ridiculist
  • You will be romanticized
In defense of the "every generation buys the damn medals" counter-argument, I just want to point out I'm in neither generation, I just wanted to learn how to boot people in the head better and my teacher was like, "You should totally go to this competition," since he generally liked the cut of my jib.  I was F+ing martial arts, maaan, all terrible kicks done with enthusiasm.

chai tea latte

• TheftBot is, simply put, a fully sentient robot for stealing automatic teller machines
  • Paid
  • (ATMs) from nearby convenience stores.
Fair enough! I did aikido for like six months and then stopped because I was too clumsy. Sensei sighed a lot.

Cheapskate

• Persnickety fussbudget
  • Paid
In summary, Cheapskate - you have quite a lot of work to do if you want me to get on board with your "I'm not sure I can call him an awful person" ponderance.
Lemon, December 30, 2013, 04:08:05 pm

I'm not arguing against the "awful" part. I think he just hasn't displayed the capacity for rational thought, which I think was one of the things Data had to prove he had in order to get rights in Starfleet.

KingKalamari

• Cephalopod Enthusiast
  • Paid
I just wanted to highlight something from the doc, as it's the most hilariously crazy thing ever:

It's obvious: Obama wants to rebuild the Ottoman Empire. He wants Kenya to be annexed to said rebuilt empire. Everything he does is about rebuilding the Ottoman Empire – with the most corrupt of the corrupt bands responsible for its original downfall to be put in charge. It's petty revenge by that faction for not being allowed to have total control of the empire a century ago. Blaming those Muslims who were not interested in being controlled by the Brotherhood for the empire falling apart when it was really the Brotherhood's fault all along.
The Brotherhood is trying to once again shift the blame for something they did wrong over a century ago. And this rebuilding effort is little more than them seeking validation of what their ancestors did over a century ago. They cannot tolerate history judging them and deeming them unfit for rule because they backed Kaiser Wilhelm.

Of course!

Psammetichus

• ᕕ(⊙ω⊙)ᕗ
  • Paid
  • O damn'd Sonic! O inhuman hog!
Haha, that's where I remember this guy from! Someone posted his "Obama --> Ottoman Empire" thing in the FreeRepublic thread on SomethingAwful. Also, he was brought up in the TVTropes thread too.

This was one of the best F Plus episodes of all time, in my opinion. And Dozerfleet is such a rich vein of content. Like WikiHow-levels of content. He's got poetry, he's got super-reactionary, quasi-fascist political screeds, he's got crazy hyper-fundamentalist religious stuff, he's got everything. You could get at least (at least!) two more episodes out of his wiki and create the Doverfleet trilogy.

Goose Goose Honk At Me Now

• Can I offer you a Lorna Doone?
  • Paid
  • You have a very flexible torso.
I can't wait to read the Dozerfleet wiki article on this episode and ballpit.