Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:20:20 am

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Our favorite bad movies.  (Read 46709 times)

Delcat

• Paid
Our favorite bad movies. #60
It's horrifically cringeworthy and tragically earnest in its execution. This movie was trying to be good, thought it could be good, and you can tell. The Korean guy who's obviously the only one who actually knows Tae Kwon Do in the movie has an accent so thick I sometimes can't tell what he's saying. It's available on Amazon.
Isfahan, May 12, 2013, 12:31:36 am

This tangentially reminds me of Legend of Crippled Masters, which, uh...is a thing that exists.

And probably shouldn't.

The full, uncut dub is on Youtube, but this isn't so much a Favorite Bad Movie as Most Uncomfortable Bad Movie That You Can't Look Away From.  I guess if two actual amputees were willing to sign on to ninety minutes of smacking people in the face with their remaining limbs to an accompaniment of stock meat-punch sound effects then they might have found it empowering in some way, but you want to be real dang' careful pulling this off the shelf for a movie night with friends.

As a palate cleanser, holy shit is Fern Gully terrible and delightful and here's an extended version of Tim Curry's song from itL

For some reason, someone didn't particularly want the line "I feel good, a special kind of horny" left in the movie.  Likewise, "Batty Rap" is only a third of what was originally recorded, with the cut lyrics being, uh, interesting.  It's a little confusing as to why they didn't cut the song entirely--even the version that made it in is solidly disturbing and includes vivisection, and it's not like they didn't milk Robin Williams for all he was worth for the rest of the movie.  Ah, bad decision-making, I love you.

Isfahan

• Ask me about AKs.
  • Ridiculist
  • Trouble with customers? Isfahano cares.
Our favorite bad movies. #61
It also features the most ham-fisted father-son B-plot in movie history.Adam Bozarth, May 12, 2013, 02:46:01 pm

I watched the guys in the background try to do acting while that first monologue that kicks off the B-plot gets delivered. They stand stock still and do things with their eyebrows that I couldn't help but giggle at.

One Of The Crappy Pokemon That Nobody Likes

• Oh no it's the "The-World-Owes-Me-A-Living Lads"!!
  • Ridiculist
  • RARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARR
Our favorite bad movies. #62
I present to you Sita Sings the Blues:

Animator Nina Paley wants to tell you about the Ramayana, a very old story from India. Particularly, she wants to tell you about Sita, the devoted wife of Rama who never even thinks of another man, despite all the awful things that happen to her.

Nina Paley gives us a few delightful little quirky shorts about the subject. Some of them are genuinely fun and interesting! But then we're introduced to the true villain of the film...

... Nina Paley's ex-husband.

You see, the movie is broken up into different segments. One segment is animated to a real conversation between three Indians as they discuss the Ramayana. Those parts I liked a lot. Another has weird little paper cut-outs re-enacting parts of the story in a silly way. Hey, kind of fun! Another involves Sita singing to recordings by Annette Hanshaw. Oh... okay... weird but sure I'll roll with it. And then we have the short segments that literally illustrate the entire point of the movie: the segments about Nina Paley's personal life.

Every so often, we're treated to squiggly shorts about how Nina's awful husband ignored her and how horrible and miserable he made her feel and how Nina didn't do anything wrong and bla bla bla. These play right after every segment that specifically calls out Rama for being terrible to his own wife Sita. The message is pretty goddamned clear: "MY HUSBAND WAS A BAD PERSON THAT YOU SHOULD BE VERY MAD AT, I AM AN ABUSED LITTLE FLOWER JUST LIKE SITA IN MY CARTOON SEEEEEE?"

I've talked to people about the movie many times, and every time I liken it to a professor giving a lecture on the Odyssey, only to occasionally blurt out something like "AND THEN CIRCE TRICKED THE MEN AND TURNED THEM INTO PIGS, JUST LIKE HOW MY BITCH OF AN EX-WIFE MADE ME FEEL LESS THAN HUMAN!! PITY MEEEEE!!!" before moving on. It's jarring. Very jarring. Look, lady, I can understand how your failed marriage can make you feel like shit, and it's cool that you wanted to use creativity to work your way through it. But spending 3 years animating a movie about another culture's traditions and then using it to try to turn the audience against your ex is lunacy. And it ruins your movie.

Paley ran into legal issues shortly after completing the film, because she didn't bother securing the rights to Hanshaw's music before starting on her epic project. She now spends a lot of time acting like copyright laws are stupid and restrictive and makes cartoons about how everything that can be digitally downloaded should just be free all the time.

NutshellGulag

• Monkey Bacon
  • Ridiculist
  • My cat? Let me tell you about my cat...
Our favorite bad movies. #63
That's a bummer. I saw parts of that when she was still developing it, and was pretty impressed.

Delcat

• Paid
Our favorite bad movies. #64
We watched Sita Sings the Blues in one of my college classes, and I liked the main parts a lot, but yeah, the personal-life segments were...really uncomfortable.  I don't think I got the full scale of uncomfortable-ness, though, because we watched Farewell My Concubine the week before, and it's a really good movie but good Lord if you watch it with a group of people it's just five years of bare child asses getting caned and molestation.  I've watched documentaries on BDSM in college classes that were less unsettling.

Isfahan

• Ask me about AKs.
  • Ridiculist
  • Trouble with customers? Isfahano cares.
Our favorite bad movies. #65
was there some kind of Awkward Film Studies class at your school or something

Goose Goose Honk At Me Now

• Can I offer you a Lorna Doone?
  • Paid
  • You have a very flexible torso.
Our favorite bad movies. #66
I like how if you watch Farewell My Concubine alone it's just a good movie and the canings and molestation show up ONLY during group viewings.

(I kid because I love :y)

Juice and I have regular bad movie viewings (and occasional excellent movie viewings). Last night's, Eyes In The Dark, was... really something.

Delcat

• Paid
Our favorite bad movies. #67
was there some kind of Awkward Film Studies class at your school or something
Isfahan, May 13, 2013, 04:10:04 pm

It was something like Cross-Culture Theatre, so pretty much.  We also watched an awesome documentary on Noh theatre and some really cool shadow puppetry, so it wasn't all bad, but yeah that was a textbook example of why you don't put off registering for your Humanities.

The BDSM documentary was actually part of two different psych classes that I took.  Have you ever sat back and watched people watching a movie because you've seen it before and you want to see their reaction to a jump scare you know is coming?  Imagine that with thirty bored housewives, except the jump scare is a naked man tongue-cleaning a toilet.  The facial expressions were phenomenal.

Cheapskate

• Persnickety fussbudget
  • Paid
Our favorite bad movies. #68
I present to you Sita Sings the Blues:
portaxx, May 13, 2013, 08:15:57 am

Well, hey, I did an episode about that! I didn't like the Nina segments either, but they're not very long compared to the fun parts with the shadow puppets.

STOG

• im baby
  • Ridiculist
  • thiis is bernie bro, to me
Our favorite bad movies. #69
All of this is going to be evidence for my "Pre-Punched Animators Policy". It'll go right next to my "Pre-Punched Gamers Policy"!

So I was cruising through Netflix and I saw a movie called Rubber. It is gloriously lowbrow stupid and pretentious high-concept wank at the same time. It's Killdozer and Mulholland Drive's secret love child in terms of tone. It is a movie about a tire that gains psychokinetic powers to make people's heads explode. And I thought it was pretty fucking neat.

It's on Netflix Instant if you want it.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 08:24:02 pm by STOG »

Delcat

• Paid
Our favorite bad movies. #70
I genuinely and unironically love Rubber to death.  It's just silly enough to overcome the highbrow and just intellectual enough to overcome the lowbrow.  And it's a movie about a serial killer tire, seriously honest to God.

I should probably cop sooner or later to being a Saw junkie.  The first one was a truly good movie and the second one was kind of all right, but they went way downhill after there.  That doesn't stop me from occasionally marathoning them and obsessively searching for movies in the same genre (gimmicky ironic punishment/mysterious game, not hardcore core).  The closest I've been able to find is the Cube series, though.  I need a fix, dangit!  Can anyone give me some recs?

montrith

• Petrodactyl Spotter
  • Internaut
  • You must be this tall to ride
Our favorite bad movies. #71
I can't believe I forgot about this.

Imagine you are a movie director. Somehow you've managed to gather enough money to produce your great movie, a hard-hitting detective drama that's sure to establish you as a visionary genius. Except at the half point of making said film you realize two things. It sucks, and you're bored. Lesser men might see this as somewhat of a problem, but not so director Ray Dennis Steckler. His brilliant idea? We will make this into a Batman parody instead! Add to this the urban legend of someone getting the title of the movie wrong in the credits and no money/time to correct it and you have Rat Pfink a Boo Boo.

Also contains one of my all time favorite movie dialogues.
Rat Pfink: Remember, Boo Boo, we only have one weakness.

Boo Boo: What's that, Rat Pfink?

Rat Pfink: Bullets!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 02:38:36 pm by montrith »

cyclopeantrash

• Aspergers Unto Death
  • Paid
  • High velocity man-hatred fired at everything
Our favorite bad movies. #72
It's probably just 2deep4me but. I've always found this endearingly bad. Also I'm pretty sure watching it gives you the threshold dose of LSD. So watcher be warned.

Delcat

• Paid
Our favorite bad movies. #73
It's not even out yet but I'm putting a chip down on this one.

cyclopeantrash

• Aspergers Unto Death
  • Paid
  • High velocity man-hatred fired at everything
Our favorite bad movies. #74
It's not even out yet but I'm putting a chip down on this one.

Delcat, June 05, 2013, 03:42:52 am

I can't wait for that movie. It looks like such fun!