Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:43:50 pm

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: CTRL+V and post it  (Read 430768 times)

lazzer grardaion?

• Paid
CTRL+V and post it #405
xdot[t] =
  ReplacePart[xdot[t],
   n + 1 -> (xdot[t][[n + 2]] + xdot[t][[n + 0]])/2];

Zekka

• I AM IN INTO MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS AND MANY METHODS USED IN THE STOCK MARKET
  • Paid
CTRL+V and post it #406
Flare will be the first annotative programming language. Annotative programming, if done properly, has the potential to be the successor to object-oriented programming, in the same way that object-oriented programming succeeded procedural programming, procedural programming succeeded assembly language, and assembly language succeeded raw hexadecimal numbers
Runic, April 27, 2016, 04:30:55 pm

This is one of my favorite things Yud produced. It's a fractal of stupidity.

Ashto

• Paid
  • I don't even know anymore
CTRL+V and post it #407
As a Swede, I get an adrenaline rush even by waving to my neighbor. I'm not going full rambo by introducing myself..
Bodark

Runic

• Is Putting A Donk On It
  • Paid
  • John Brown did nothing wrong
CTRL+V and post it #408
Flare will be the first annotative programming language. Annotative programming, if done properly, has the potential to be the successor to object-oriented programming, in the same way that object-oriented programming succeeded procedural programming, procedural programming succeeded assembly language, and assembly language succeeded raw hexadecimal numbers

Zekka, April 27, 2016, 09:43:49 pm
Have you seen his design doc for Flare? It's fucking amazing. In it he seriously ponders how long it will be before Flare supplants Java and Python entirely, and under what circumstances the Linux Kernal will be ported to Flare. It's think of transcendent beauty.

Digital Walnut

• The Carl Icahn of nuzzling
  • Paid
  • Source(s): meee~ nyaa~ :3

Zekka

• I AM IN INTO MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS AND MANY METHODS USED IN THE STOCK MARKET
  • Paid
CTRL+V and post it #410

Zekka, April 27, 2016, 09:43:49 pm
Have you seen his design doc for Flare? It's fucking amazing. In it he seriously ponders how long it will be before Flare supplants Java and Python entirely, and under what circumstances the Linux Kernal will be ported to Flare. It's think of transcendent beauty.
Runic, April 28, 2016, 12:13:24 am

I effectively MSTed it a while back for SomethingAwful's Yudkowsky thread. It's not a unique kind of hubris and it's really similar to my hubris when I worked on my first programming languages project -- I wasn't marveling at how people I don't even know would sit down and using it, but I thought I was legitimately doing something novel and interesting, just because I didn't think anyone else had gone through the same series of ideas and refinements that ended up at my design.

Yud seems to feel the same way. However, it turns out everything can be specified as a generalization or a broadening of something else so you can't actually do anything novel. Besides that, being novel specifically isn't really a design goal for real systems that actually succeed, as far as I can tell.

The reason he didn't ever seem to be able to figure this out is that he doesn't know anything about theory. You can pick any paragraph and it's full of major factual errors. And since he only really knows Python, and he's super narcissistic, he doesn't see everything everyone else has done that hangs over into the area he's working in. (Flare is basically a tiny-ass subset of what you can do with any row-based language like Prolog.) Add to that that he's willing to treat all the things he doesn't know anything about as probably pretty easy to do -- which is a convenient excuse for all the problems his idea has nothing to do with.

In other words, he's an engineer except he has no engineering skills.

Oh yeah, and his idea of "I've succeeded" is "Other people like me." not "I did a good job" so he just fantasizes about important people using his project and telling him he's important. That's kind of sad imho but also funny.
Runic chai tea latte

Runic

• Paid
CTRL+V and post it #411
Shit, that was you? Ignore me then, half my understanding of Flare is derived directly from you, apparently. That thread was amazing before it dissolved into like ten pages of people arguing over philosophy.

Yudkowsky is like the quintessential ideas man. He's got lots of grandiose plans and the will to follow through with approximately two of them: convincing Silicon Valley libertarian billionaires to give him lots of money and writing a massive self insert Harry Potter fanfic. He just kind of assumes that all his other ideas will happen by magic or something. He can handwave all the technical problems with his plans because he never actually intends on doing any of them. It's magical.

Shit, there's probably enough computer nerds around to appreciate this shit. Me and Chai Tea Latte are going to work on a doc (as soon as school is out, I swear) but a good portion of Yud's crazy is really technical in a way that wouldn't translate well to a general audience. We might be able to put a thread up for it.

Nifty Nif

• Big Dumb Slimy Monster
  • Paid
  • powerful and can be dangreous
CTRL+V and post it #412
Shit, that was you? Ignore me then, half my understanding of Flare is derived directly from you, apparently. That thread was amazing before it dissolved into like ten pages of people arguing over philosophy.

Yudkowsky is like the quintessential ideas man. He's got lots of grandiose plans and the will to follow through with approximately two of them: convincing Silicon Valley libertarian billionaires to give him lots of money and writing a massive self insert Harry Potter fanfic. He just kind of assumes that all his other ideas will happen by magic or something. He can handwave all the technical problems with his plans because he never actually intends on doing any of them. It's magical.

Shit, there's probably enough computer nerds around to appreciate this shit. Me and Chai Tea Latte are going to work on a doc (as soon as school is out, I swear) but a good portion of Yud's crazy is really technical in a way that wouldn't translate well to a general audience. We might be able to put a thread up for it.
Runic, April 28, 2016, 10:30:42 am

I am appreciating the hell out of it.  This shit is hilarious.  He really gets at what I hate about idiot "engineers": that they think they are sooooo smart, and that if you poke a hole in their grand plan, then you are the idiot, and not them.  Very much looking forward to the doc.

Anyway, here's what's in my clipboard.

Zekka

• Paid
CTRL+V and post it #413

I'm tempted to just print the flare docs to PDF and mark every false or implausible statement in red text like a teacher grading a Comparative Programming Languages assignment. I don't think it would be easy to make fun of in an audio setting because you can't scroll audio to skip walls of text.

E: HOLY SHIT IT'S 115 PAGES PRINTED

Most of what he does is definitely more accessible than the flare docs, because he likes inane thought experiments (like Roko's basilisk) and he hates the shit out of experts. He's good doc material imho.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 11:54:33 am by Zekka »

chai tea latte

• TheftBot is, simply put, a fully sentient robot for stealing automatic teller machines
  • Paid
  • (ATMs) from nearby convenience stores.
CTRL+V and post it #414
The doc has mostly focused on LW's commentariat over his long form stuff just because so much of his funniest stuff is inaccessible to a broad audience. Brevity is not The Yud's strong point.

Emperor Jack Chick

• he/him
  • Ridiculist
  • Metal tyrant from hell
CTRL+V and post it #415
I'm tempted to just print the flare docs to PDF and mark every false or implausible statement in red text like a teacher grading a Comparative Programming Languages assignment.
Zekka, April 28, 2016, 11:49:34 am

please PLEASE do this :D

xX_sp00ks_Xx

• Every corpse on Mount Everest
  • Paid
  • was once an extremely motivated person.
CTRL+V and post it #416
Nifty Nif

A Meat

• Artificial Man Pop Seasoning
  • Paid
  • filled with delicious dude meat
CTRL+V and post it #417

I'm tempted to just print the flare docs to PDF and mark every false or implausible statement in red text like a teacher grading a Comparative Programming Languages assignment. I don't think it would be easy to make fun of in an audio setting because you can't scroll audio to skip walls of text.

Most of what he does is definitely more accessible than the flare docs, because he likes inane thought experiments (like Roko's basilisk) and he hates the shit out of experts. He's good doc material imho.
He doesn't deserve the attention, making an episode on these idiots is enough

Runic

• Paid
CTRL+V and post it #418

You should definitely do this. It would be amazing. I'm reasonably sure that most design docs don't have a section on what to do if molecular nanotechnology is invented before the development cycle is over, or a section on transcendence. This one sure as hell does.

chai tea latte

• TheftBot is, simply put, a fully sentient robot for stealing automatic teller machines
  • Paid
  • (ATMs) from nearby convenience stores.
CTRL+V and post it #419
\> [current year]

\> can't fucking use the comedy chevrons
Nifty Nif