Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 01:33:59 pm

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Question for Finns  (Read 48023 times)

crow

• Paid
  • get smoked
Question for Finns
This is a question for people who have, are or will be living in Finland.  Why do people with Finnish accents all sound like witches?  Are you a witch? 

Please do not respond if you aren't Finnish, thank you.

montrith

• Petrodactyl Spotter
  • Internaut
  • You must be this tall to ride
Question for Finns #1
Well, I do have a black cat and people have been known to call me a witch. Or that might have been "bitch", I wasn't really paying attention.

Semi serious answer, we have a long history of paganism and nature magic. Finns were pretty much "Sure, we'll be Christians as long as we can still sing our songs about forest spirits and do sauna magic". There was also the thing about people really having three "souls", so I guess God might just as well have one of them.

Goose Goose Honk At Me Now

• Can I offer you a Lorna Doone?
  • Paid
  • You have a very flexible torso.
Question for Finns #2
What kind of magic do you do in a sauna?

montrith

• Petrodactyl Spotter
  • Internaut
Question for Finns #3
What kind of magic do you do in a sauna?
CuddlePLEASE MAKE IT STOP RAINING, June 17, 2014, 11:07:32 am

All the important magic. Birth magic, appeasing the house spirits, fertility, sending the dead etc. Fun fact, the steam in sauna is known as "löyly" in Finnish, which roughly translates to "the breath".

crow

• Paid
  • get smoked
Question for Finns #4
Well, I do have a black cat and people have been known to call me a witch. Or that might have been "bitch", I wasn't really paying attention.

Semi serious answer, we have a long history of paganism and nature magic. Finns were pretty much "Sure, we'll be Christians as long as we can still sing our songs about forest spirits and do sauna magic". There was also the thing about people really having three "souls", so I guess God might just as well have one of them.
montrith, June 17, 2014, 06:51:51 am

Are you more or less pagan than Lithuania, who were pagan until like, the 14th century?

Do you have a witches brew?

Lemon

• Whatever happened to Freedom of Speech?
  • Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
Question for Finns #5
While we're at it, how often do you see the words "Angry Birds" in your daily life? Has Rovio just taken to renaming everything in Finland? Do people watch hockey games in Angry Birds Star Wars Arena?

Isfahan

• Ask me about AKs.
  • Ridiculist
  • Trouble with customers? Isfahano cares.
Question for Finns #6
Birth magic, appeasing the house spirits, fertility, sending the dead etc.montrith, June 17, 2014, 03:14:35 pm

Okay, level with us here. All of that just means "fucking," right?

A Whirring Bone-White Gleech

• fact-lord
  • Paid
  • I was in first place, you whore!
Question for Finns #7
sending the deadmontrith, June 17, 2014, 03:14:35 pm
fucking
Isfahan, June 17, 2014, 05:37:57 pm

That's a unique take on grief.

montrith

• Petrodactyl Spotter
  • Internaut
Question for Finns #8
Are you more or less pagan than Lithuania, who were pagan until like, the 14th century?

Christianity first came to Finland during the middle ages, but it never really managed to completely replace the old pagan beliefs. Like I said, people were pretty cool with the idea of God, as long as they could still do the old magic stuff they'd done before.

Do you have a witches brew?

Yes, and we teach children how dangerous it is.

While we're at it, how often do you see the words "Angry Birds" in your daily life?

Every fucking minute of my life. Let me put it this way: You could stay alive and well while consuming nothing but Angry Birds products.

Okay, level with us here. All of that just means "fucking," right?

No fucking in sauna, actually. Firstly, it's a holy place and the spirits wouldn't like that. Secondly, the Finnish sauna is much, much more hot than your wussy American saunas. Temperatures of 210 F are not uncommon. This makes for a very uncomfortable place for fucking. Combine that with the traditional sauna sport of rolling around in snow and jumping into ice holes and I challenge even Bunnybread to find a way to keep things sexy.

AlbieQuirky
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 10:56:27 am by montrith »

One Of The Crappy Pokemon That Nobody Likes

• Oh no it's the "The-World-Owes-Me-A-Living Lads"!!
  • Ridiculist
  • RARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARR
Question for Finns #9
Secondly, the Finnish sauna is much, much more hot than your wussy American saunas. Temperatures of 210 F are not uncommon.
montrith

There's no way that's true. No goddamned w--

"Taking a sauna begins by washing oneself up and then going to sit for some time in the hot room, typically warmed to 80–110 °C (176–230 °F)"

Finland! Where even the saunas are metal as fuck!

Fanzay

• Failson Prime
  • Paid
  • Turned on is the wrong word
Question for Finns #10
Secondly, the Finnish sauna is much, much more hot than your wussy American saunas. Temperatures of 210 F are not uncommon.
montrith

There's no way that's true. No goddamned w--

"Taking a sauna begins by washing oneself up and then going to sit for some time in the hot room, typically warmed to 80–110 °C (176–230 °F)"

Finland! Where even the saunas are metal as fuck!
portaxx, June 18, 2014, 04:31:11 am

This is common throughout most of Northern Europe, actually. What temperatures are you guys used to? you pussies

Isfahan

• Ask me about AKs.
  • Ridiculist
Question for Finns #11
Temperatures not reserved for baking soufflés.

Fanzay

• Failson Prime
  • Paid
  • Turned on is the wrong word
Question for Finns #12
Isfahan, June 18, 2014, 06:27:32 am

One Of The Crappy Pokemon That Nobody Likes

• Oh no it's the "The-World-Owes-Me-A-Living Lads"!!
  • Ridiculist
  • RARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARARR
Question for Finns #13
Isfahan, June 18, 2014, 06:27:32 am

Fanzay, June 18, 2014, 06:44:55 am

Yeah I admit I don't go to saunas but rest assured our saunas are not 230 goddamned degrees. Holy shit that is hardcore.

Isfahan

• Ask me about AKs.
  • Ridiculist
Question for Finns #14
Well, how long does a sauna soak last at that temperature? Is it short? In the US people will sit in a low-temperature (by Scandinavian standards) sauna for anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour.