Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:03:17 pm

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Documentaries worth watching  (Read 34167 times)

CormansInferno

• Forsooth! A ravenous ghoul approaches!
  • Paid
Documentaries worth watching #30
Los Angeles Plays Itself is about to come out on DVD. It's a pretty interesting dissection of L.A.'s depictions of itself and visiting European directors' fascination with it, but holy shit you are going to need a snack or bathroom break during it because it's nearly 3 hours long. And the guy he got to narrate it is no Slazov Zizek.

I think I sang its praises in the other movie thread but when Jodorowsky's Dune is available, make that appontment viewing. The greatest and most heartbreaking celebration of Jodorowsky's surrealist visionary brain (and it sorta pains me to say it, but I think I enjoyed it more than The Dance of Reality) plus an accidental eulogy to H.R. Giger. And according to one of the doc's producers, apparently they're trying to wrestle the Dune copyright away from the Herbert family long enough to make an animated miniseries out of Moebius' storyboards (Moebius and Jodorowsky plotted and "shot" the entire 14-20 hour movie) .

Led Zeppelin Played Here is the feature debut of Jeff Krulik, the public access warrior behind Heavy Metal Parking Lot. It weaves through a shaggy dog story in his hometown of Wheaton, Maryland that claims Led Zeppelin played a high school auditorium the night after their first official show in the US. As always, Krulik is the king of finding rock n' roll-obsessed weirdos.

Not a valid vimeo URL

Tiny Prancer

• Tiny and angry
  • Paid
  • please be more respectable to physics
Documentaries worth watching #31
I don't care much for dune (as a series) but I'd LOVE if they did manage to make that miniseries because those storyboards and designs were stunning.

Sion

• Paid
Documentaries worth watching #32
I dunno if Ancient Aliens Debunked counts, but...
What? Stop laughing. Really. Really!
beelzeboob

Mister Smalls

• Steampunk Evita original cast member
  • Paid
Documentaries worth watching #33
"My Child is a Monkey."

Nikaer Drekin

• One-Man Nic Cage Fan Club
  • Paid
  • "My burrito is a big deal"
Documentaries worth watching #34
Anything Errol Morris is great, too. My favorite is the Fog of War although Mr. Death is a pretty close follow up. His TV show First Person is also worth checking out - each episode focuses on a person with their own eccentric life story, whether it's a cryogenic freezing activist or a mobster lawyer. What I wouldn't give to see it rebooted.
🍆, September 06, 2014, 02:15:02 am

I'll agree here- Errol Morris is great, The Thin Blue Line is one of my favorite films ever, documentary or not.

Also, for something more in the vein of The King of Kong, check out American Movie. It's the story of an incompetent midwestern dude trying to make a horror movie, and it's completely hilarious. I can't imagine anyone who likes The F Plus wouldn't love it.

Old_Zircon

• The phased-out byzantine devil.
  • Paid
Documentaries worth watching #35

One of the better documentaries I've seen.

cyclopeantrash

• Aspergers Unto Death
  • Paid
  • High velocity man-hatred fired at everything
Documentaries worth watching #36
Cancer: The Emperor of All Maladies is a fucking excellent 3 part, six hour documentary about cancer.

Geremy Tibbles

• Liquor Dragon
  • Paid
  • DIS GENERATION
Documentaries worth watching #37
First Kill is probably the most chilling and sincere documentary on war I've ever seen. Incredibly well shot and edited and addresses far more than the politics of the Vietnam War.

Just a little warning: The opening title shot features a pig head being shot in slow motion, but aside from that the only thing graphic are the descriptions.

Digital Walnut

• The Carl Icahn of nuzzling
  • Paid
  • Source(s): meee~ nyaa~ :3
Documentaries worth watching #38
Anything Errol Morris is great, too.
🍆, September 06, 2014, 02:15:02 am
True, but be prepared to sit there and really hate Donald Rumsfeld for a while if you watch The Unknown Known.

Most Adam Curtis docs are worth watching, too. I especially recommend The Century of the Self for anyone who hasn't seen it. For natural history fans, An Original Duckumentary from last year's run of PBS Nature was probably the most beautifully shot film I've seen that didn't get a theatrical release.

chai tea latte

• TheftBot is, simply put, a fully sentient robot for stealing automatic teller machines
  • Paid
  • (ATMs) from nearby convenience stores.
Documentaries worth watching #39
Cancer: The Emperor of All Maladies is a fucking excellent 3 part, six hour documentary about cancer.
MISANDRY CANNON, April 21, 2015, 03:52:29 pm

Seconded vehemently.

Lemon

• Whatever happened to Freedom of Speech?
  • Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
Documentaries worth watching #40
I just finished watching Print The Legend, which I enjoyed way more than I expected to (the expectation being that it would be boring enough to put me to sleep, which is what I was hoping for).

It's a documentary about the 3D printing industry, specifically MakerBot and FormLabs, predominently MakerBot, and more specifically MakerBot CEO  Bre Pettits. Rather than being a insubstantial pontification about the magical reality of technology in the not-too-distant future, it's actually a story about ethics, and what happens when being ethical and being successful are at odds with each other.

Nobody comes out of the movie looking good, except for a couple of fired people, plus it gives some insight into the actual technology itself.

It's a Netflix original, so it's available there. I liked it enough to want to write about it immediately afterwards, but now I should probably sleep.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 01:35:23 am by Lemon »

goombapolice

• a muscular, cum producing MONSTER
  • Paid
Documentaries worth watching #41
That looks really good. Thanks for cluing me to it!

chai tea latte

• TheftBot is, simply put, a fully sentient robot for stealing automatic teller machines
  • Paid
  • (ATMs) from nearby convenience stores.
Documentaries worth watching #42
Just finished watching The World Before Her.
The World Before Her is a tale of two Indias. In one, Ruhi Singh is a small-town girl competing in Bombay to win the Miss India pageant — a ticket to stardom in a country wild about beauty contests. In the other India, Prachi Trivedi is the young, militant leader of a fundamentalist Hindu camp for girls, where she preaches violent resistance to Western culture, Christianity and Islam. Moving between these divergent realities, the film creates a lively, provocative portrait of the world's largest democracy at a critical transitional moment — and of two women who hope to shape its future.Quote from

That's a pretty tame overview. This film will probably make you very, very angry. It focuses heavily on the Hindutva reactionary group Durga Vahini, and is the first time a documentary crew were granted access to their young women's indoctrination camps. In a really striking scene, Prachi (who's 24, and has gone to these camps since she was 3) denies that she runs a terrorist training camp - the idea is ridiculous to her. She jokes that they don't even teach how to make bombs - it's so easy, you'd just need sulfuric acid and some household cleaners. How can we be a terrorist training camp if we don't even learn to make bombs, she asks.

The Miss India segments are also really good, and the message that India's girls have no options but to be subsumed is quietly beaten home. None of these martyrs believe, and they lose their identities in the process.

You can watch it online through the Knowledge Network (which, oh my god, i love) until June 12th. It's also on the PBS rotation, I'm not sure if Knowledge is accessible outside of Canada. Check your local listings.

(content warnings: footage of violence against women, discussion of child abuse and infanticide)
Salubrious Rex

Blandest

• Paid
  • Help! Cannot see! Can only smell!
Documentaries worth watching #43
I recently watched a documentary called I Am an Adult Baby. I'm not sure where you'd be able to find it but I watched it on ABC's iview here http://iview.abc.net.au/programs/i-am-an-adult-baby/ZX9653A001S00.

It holds some relevance but they shy away from the sexual thing, only touching on it briefly a couple of times. Highlights include the 27 year old lady who wants to be 6, but her "father" wants her to be 2, and the man who hasn't "come out" to his family yet and doesn't want to yet appears on a TV programme with his face completely clear.

A Meat

• Artificial Man Pop Seasoning
  • Paid
  • filled with delicious dude meat
Documentaries worth watching #44
Just finished watching The World Before Her.
The World Before Her is a tale of two Indias. In one, Ruhi Singh is a small-town girl competing in Bombay to win the Miss India pageant — a ticket to stardom in a country wild about beauty contests. In the other India, Prachi Trivedi is the young, militant leader of a fundamentalist Hindu camp for girls, where she preaches violent resistance to Western culture, Christianity and Islam. Moving between these divergent realities, the film creates a lively, provocative portrait of the world's largest democracy at a critical transitional moment — and of two women who hope to shape its future.Quote from

That's a pretty tame overview. This film will probably make you very, very angry. It focuses heavily on the Hindutva reactionary group Durga Vahini, and is the first time a documentary crew were granted access to their young women's indoctrination camps. In a really striking scene, Prachi (who's 24, and has gone to these camps since she was 3) denies that she runs a terrorist training camp - the idea is ridiculous to her. She jokes that they don't even teach how to make bombs - it's so easy, you'd just need sulfuric acid and some household cleaners. How can we be a terrorist training camp if we don't even learn to make bombs, she asks.

The Miss India segments are also really good, and the message that India's girls have no options but to be subsumed is quietly beaten home. None of these martyrs believe, and they lose their identities in the process.

You can watch it online through the Knowledge Network (which, oh my god, i love) until June 12th. It's also on the PBS rotation, I'm not sure if Knowledge is accessible outside of Canada. Check your local listings.

(content warnings: footage of violence against women, discussion of child abuse and infanticide)
chai tea latte, May 13, 2015, 01:17:58 am
Thanks for the recommend, now I'm kind of depressed. I had basically known what to expect about the terrorist camp, but seeing it in motion is always disheartening.

The Miss India sections are almost as crazy as the terrorist camp, with the poor models seeming like okay people just being reduced to utter sexual objects with no other hope of social advancement and liberation other than giving up their dignity.

Does anyone know of a good documentary about the Japanese/Korean 'idol' business? It sounds about the same as the modeling business.