Snakes In The Ball Pit > Yay, I get to talk about me!

Thread.setTitle("Programmers Anonymous");

<< < (29/29)

Emperor Jack Chick:
That sounds very similar to a tool we have at work!

At some point the need for data about how automated tests performed across all layers of our application, and most teams were doing some half-assed work on their own. Naturally this bred the opportunity for someone to create a mechanism for data collation. Sadly, the way this works at my company is the idea is floated and then a specific team that handles all cross-team tooling builds whatever it is. Sadly, because this team is wholly and completely incompetent. 

So what we have now is a giant react app that was written by said team, a team that is not in the business of ui development, so they built the whole thing without taking advantage of components or composition. Configs are all hardcoded in data and copy pasted across files (also they didnt bother writing a BE service for it so all data is just live loaded from a DB in the fucking react code.

Naturally, this thing is fucking broken and doesn't report data properly for my team. My boss asked me to look into what it would take to fix our data, so I cloned the repo and started investigating. After 2 days of this I reported back that it would be a steep effort just to even figure out what the hell anything did and how to get around it to start figuring out the bugs, much less hacking in stuff to fix what we needed. We then looked into alternative solutions and have better, more comprehensive reports from Splunk (our data already reported to there) which took us about 2 hours to get setup and rolling. HOORAY!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version