Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:28:46 am

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: what's your poison (and by poison i mean delicious alcohol)  (Read 104227 times)

Trav

• Winner of Karaoke - 2016 and 2017
  • Paid
I'd rather be sober than drink that.
Mique, November 01, 2017, 01:49:30 am

Then you are weak.

Weak, I say!
Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop Macho Masc Sangy Savage bubbleuj Lemon

Agent (gobble, gobble) Coop

• Trill Lesh
  • Paid
  • 12 cellphones and I look like kurt angle
Yeah, Rockstar is some scary shit.
Sherman Tank Sex Love, October 31, 2017, 11:19:06 pm
Truly a foul brew

duz

• Paid
And yet, I find Rockstar Recovery to be pretty great after a night of drinking.

Speaking of which, one of the best bartenders in town just opened a new cocktail lounge next door to my apartment complex last week.  Already been there twice, might just keep going weekly.  He's really great at making cocktails.

• Trill Lesh
  • Paid
  • 12 cellphones and I look like kurt angle
And yet, I find Rockstar Recovery to be pretty great after a night of drinking.

Speaking of which, one of the best bartenders in town just opened a new cocktail lounge next door to my apartment complex last week.  Already been there twice, might just keep going weekly.  He's really great at making cocktails.
duz, November 01, 2017, 11:06:22 am
Yo yeah the like lemonade hydration ones are pretty tasty

Carbon

• Paid
  • Can wink with both eyes at once
I tried cider for the first time today. Was pleasantly surprised, but can't help comparing it to the one sour beer I've had, which I liked better. This could be entirely a sample size issue.

Macho Masc Sangy Savage

• Beep Beep Imma Dwarf Jeep
  • Paid
  • 🍕 Pizza Philosopher 🍕
I tried cider for the first time today. Was pleasantly surprised, but can't help comparing it to the one sour beer I've had, which I liked better. This could be entirely a sample size issue.
Carbon, February 19, 2018, 11:28:56 pm

Ciders and sours both rule. Which cider did you have?

Carbon

• Paid
It was a Strongbow apple cider, ordered at the recommendation of one of my cider drinking friends. Also, the sour beer was Gueuze Fond Tradition by Van Honsebrouck.

Macho Masc Sangy Savage

• Beep Beep Imma Dwarf Jeep
  • Paid
  • 🍕 Pizza Philosopher 🍕
Strongbow's are an extremely solid choice - my favorite is the honey variety.  For national brands, Angry Orchard and Cider Boys are both solid as well. Cider Boys varieties really turn out super sweet, like the grand mimosa isn't even a cider anymore. Another great one is Woodchuck, which used to be the only game in town until gluten free living became a Thing. The raspberry was my go to when I first started drinking. They have seasonal beers that can be good, but definitely buy a single first.

Absolute favorite is Wyder's Ciders reposado pear, where they crammed pear cider in tequila barrels. It looks like mop water, but is amazing.

But the real fun of ciders is since they are fucking easy as shit to make, there's always a few local brewery concoctions to try.

Red's Ale is fucking trash, so is Stella Artois "Cidre" (fucking what).

My advice is if ciders are good but you lean towards sours, look for ciders that are labeled "dry", they might be more your liking.

It's 7am and wrote a lot about beers man I love ciders

Carbon

• Paid
My advice is if ciders are good but you lean towards sours, look for ciders that are labeled "dry", they might be more your liking.
Sangry Novel, February 21, 2018, 06:24:21 am

Good advice. I'll try that. When every place in Chicago is so fucking hip it gets pricey to just try things aimlessly.
Although I've had good luck trying stouts aimlessly and those can be really quite the opposite of dry at times.
I guess my dominant feeling is I can enjoy anything as long as it doesn't taste like Leinenkugel's, i.e. dog fur and stale vomit.

Shell Game

• Showrunner of Extra Credit
  • Paid
  • Rex Morgan knows about Pretty Cure. Look it up.
I love stouts and dry ciders so much. maybe you just like delicious, heavy, lingering tastes like I do. also thank you for reminding me to find more sour beer.

Neal

Hey, ballp.it, recommend me an Irish whiskey that's a good deal and drinks smooth. For reference, I'm already a bourbon drinker, so that may inform your suggestions.

EDIT: Actually, to make this easier, this is what my local ABC store carries right now:

Redbreast 12Y
Dubliner
2 Gingers
Green Spot
The Quiet Man Traditional Irish Whiskey 4Y
The Irishman Founders Reserve
The Sexton
Slane
Tullamore Dew
Tullamore Dew XO Rum Cask
Tullamore Dew 12Y
Jameson
Knappogue Castle 12Y
Jameson Black Barrel
Kilbeggan
Bushmills 10Y
Bushmills
John Power & Son
Paddy
Proper No.Twelve
Bushmills Red Bush
Bushmills Blackbush
Teeling Small Batch
Tyrconnell
West Cork "Original" Irish Whiskey 4Y
Writer's Tears Copper Pot
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 04:45:15 pm by Neal »

Lemon

• Whatever happened to Freedom of Speech?
  • Administrator
  • ...IT'S NOW THE MASH!
Hey, ballp.it, recommend me an Irish whiskey that's a good deal and drinks smooth. For reference, I'm already a bourbon drinker, so that may inform your suggestions.
Neal, March 16, 2019, 04:37:46 pm

Well, there's still one question here, which is "for what purpose?" If you're specifically looking for a whiskey to enjoy by itself, like in a glass with maybe an ice cube, then you probably want Tullamore Dew. 12Y if you can afford it, but the regular Tully is still pretty nice by itself.

If you're looking for something mixed (probably with ginger beer/ginger ale), then you either want Jameson or Bushmills. Personally, I am very much on the Jameson side of this debate because it's fun to pretend I'm Catholic every once in a while, but also while Bushmills would describe itself as "more complex", which is probably true, it's also sweeter, which I don't love. Regular Jameson is reliable and versitile, Jameson Black Barrel is regular Jameson that's been set on fire twice and I think it's excellent.

Most of the others I don't really have experience with other than 2 Gingers. Hey, here's a story: Once upon a time, there was this Irish bar in St. Paul Minnesota where all they served all day is Jameson & Ginger. Everything past this fact is mostly marketing bullshit, point is 2 Gingers is owned by Jim Beam and is perfectly fine when mixed with ginger ale. That's the only thing it's made for and it's fine. Perfectly fine, nothing wrong with it.

Vinny Possum

• Garfield's cosmic love katana.
  • Paid
My store has four dollar full size bottles of sake and it's not bad stuff. Not amazing, but not bad.

Edit: Gekkeikan, to be exact
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 10:08:42 am by Vinny Possum »

Neal

Well, there's still one question here, which is "for what purpose?" If you're specifically looking for a whiskey to enjoy by itself, like in a glass with maybe an ice cube, then you probably want Tullamore Dew. 12Y if you can afford it, but the regular Tully is still pretty nice by itself.Lemon, March 17, 2019, 08:48:44 am

I tend to drink my whiskey neat, so that's good to know, although I'm not opposed to adding a mixer for variety sometimes.

Pigeon Pal

• Paid
  • i only dream of crime and ruin
I'm sick so right now I'm drinking Hot Toddy which is real good for a sore throat. When I'm not sick I'm a fan of whiskey on the rocks. I've tried to get into beer but I'm still really picky with it. Also a big fan of rum and coke - which leads me to ask, what are y'alls favorite rums? I'm kind of new to rum in general.