Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:11:31 am

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: Episode 179: Use Only Food Grade Ingredients  (Read 19138 times)

jimpjorps

• gabagool fantasia
  • Paid
Mock apple pie is one of those Midwestern recipes from the days before refrigerated shipping, like tuna noodle casserole or Jell-O salad, that you could make from cheap, shelf-stable ingredients but still approximated something that would usually be out-of-season or too expensive to make.  It has a proud heritage, even if it's completely pointless to make nowadays.
Sherman Tank chai tea latte Liatai Nemo2342

Sherman Tank

• Licensed Kadir-Buxton Method Practitioner
  • Associate Tag Director, East
  • I'm over 30 years old and I like fried chicken.
This episode is the second place I've seen a sauce for meat made from a combination of mustard and grape jelly. Apparently it was a thing in the 1950s.

Knitting Machine

• Paid
  • Buried in Yarn
I had a coworker that swore by it. This was the coworker who saw her dying husband as a mild inconvenience so

QueenSyreen

• Unsurprised, yet Disappointed
  • Paid
  • very very strongly pro-vaxx
I feel like I really have seen it happen, maybe even tasted it, but every time I reach back in my memory and try to dredge up when it was or what it tasted like if I ate it, it's gone. Come on I have to have run across the jelly/mustard thing in at least one awful Midwestern basement party but when was it : /

Maybe this is one of those situations where your mind is trying to protect you by keeping you from realizing the truth. Like Lovecraft.

duz

• Paid
Maybe, but how do you find yourself with spare cucumbers but no apples?
Lift Like There's No Sherman Tank, April 23, 2016, 06:56:01 am

Because it's much easier to grow squashes/gourds in your garden than apples and you can't grow them in quantities in less than "oh god how am I going to get rid of all these".
Which is to say that I grew up eating a lot of zucchini based faux apple pies.

dractivisionary

• Paid
Most adorable stinger ever!

The "fudge" in the first recipe reminds me of a wider horrible trend in desserts I discovered recently, which I can only describe as "white trash versions of more complicated and sophisticated food". The example that comes to mind is this abominable so-called truffle dessert which is just cream cheese and Oreos crushed and rolled into a ball, completely disregarding the meaning of the word truffle in the confectionery sense.
Neal, June 27, 2015, 02:20:30 pm
That sounds slightly better than the Sandra Lee version which is literally cake frosting and vanilla extract i think.