Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2018, 12:43:58 pm

ballp.it is the community forum for The F Plus.

You're only seeing part of the forum conversation. To see more, register for an account. This will give you read-only access to nearly all the forums.

Topic: TV we've been watching lately  (Read 32306 times)

KingKalamari

• Cephalopod Enthusiast
  • Paid
  • I don't mind worry following me like a dinosaur
TV we've been watching lately
« Reply #330 on: December 06, 2018, 10:04:58 am »
I agree! I think it could do with some genuine foreshadowing rather than in-your-face blunt not-really-twists that we all saw coming a mile away. THAT SAID... it's a kid's show. Kids AREN'T as good at picking up on tropes because they haven't seen them before. She-Ra is immeasurably better than the other things I've seen the 10 year olds in my life watching ("Loud House" etc), as well as other kids shows I'm fond of myself (Miraculous Ladybug sucks so bad in this department), because it actually has an intentional plot and character development, cliche though they may be. I'm hoping that it does up its standards a bit, but even if it doesn't, I don't think that kid shows should be held to the same standards as adult media. It does what it sets out to do well, which is provide a simplified plot for kids to get invested in.

I would respectfully disagree with the need to simplify things too far for kids. It's definitely the case that kids often need the narrative spelled out for them a little bit more than older audiences but I feel that programming aimed at a young audience has had a history of over-compensating in this regard. We're now starting to see kids programming that introduces more complicated narrative structures and devices and is appreciated all the more for it. Of course this is not to say I think She-ra is bad in this regard, just that I feel they could push things a bit further moving forward than they are now. I definitely agree with you that this show is a very nice stand-out among even other kids programming on right now and shows some excellent potential.

With the critique out of the way I'll take a moment to gush a bit: I think that one thing I really appreciate was how the show avoided the usual trap of making Hordak an asshole to his subordinates for no reason: While he punishes Shadow-Weaver pretty heavily for her failures, that's mostly motivated by her constantly going behind his back and disobeying his orders. Even in spite of her blatant, Starscream-esque schemes Hordak gives her a lot of chances to turn things around before he goes full "You have failed me" on her. Also in favor of his management techniques: he never holds Shadow Weaver's subordinates accountable for her failures and recognizes Catra's potential as a commander: He rewards her for her successes and, while not happy about her failures, doesn't drop her like a hot sack of potatoes when she stumbles in her duties. All things considered he seems like a pretty alright evil overlords to work for. I give him a solid 4.5 stars on ratemyoverlord.com!

Vinny Possum

• Garfield's cosmic love katana.
  • Paid
« Reply #331 on: December 08, 2018, 06:49:31 am »
Speaking of watching kids shows AND watching stuff with other internet people, Dijon Du Jour and I finished Dairanger and it's complete mindfuck of an ending and have started on the insane, ultra-90's romp that is Dairanger. In dairanger, five apparently homeless teens/ninja superheroes living out of their Catbus/Crepe truck have to defeat the demon lord of the yokai and his minions, who are run less like an empire and more like if the mos eisley cantina were the mafia. It's also the only sentai I know of with an actual female main character, and features an actual asian-american actor (who couldn't speak japanese when the show started) as the "American Ninja".

I highly recommend it.
GirlKisser420

AgentCoop

• The Lord of Overstock
  • Paid
  • I must be, the Bahamas are islands
« Reply #332 on: December 08, 2018, 04:23:51 pm »
old episodes of The Ultimate Fighter